Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Trip to Good Guys Indy -- Pictures!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38pickup, Jun 11, 2007.

1. 38pickup

38pickup

Well, I am back from Indy and have a few stories to tell... (Sorry I don't have any picture for the story. I had other things to worry about.)

So me and some buddies where going to leave Thursday morning. Thursday morning comes and me and my dad back the truck out for one last run around the block. (up until this point I have only driven it around the block once or twice.) I take it around the block a few times and the pickup decides it needs gas and runs out at i stop in front of my house. I check the other fluids, and find out it needs some trans fluid. So I run up to the corner and get some fuel and trans fluid.

My dad pours in some gas and fires it up (remember this later). At this point I look at it from across the street, and all I hear is it shutting off. So I run across the street and in the process of getting in the truck I cut my thumb. Now that I am bleeding I decide I will take a bless the truck with blood so i mark a cross on the dash. Now by this point it's 9:00 am an we are suppose to be 45 min south, so I call and tell them we will be a late.

After all that I fire it up and we both goto the gas station I get there ready to fill it up when ... There is no gas cap. Great where am I going to fine a 1934 ford gas cap at 9 in the morning. So my mom and dad go hunting for a gas cap. So I call again and tell them whats going on. 45 min later I fill the tank and put on the shiny new chrome NAPA gas cap.

So we finally get on the highway and meet up with the guys we are going down with and they love the truck. So we continue on our way. Now the cool thing about the guys I went down with is each car in the pack had 34 grille shells. So we drive down and in slow traffic getting out of Illinois, the people in the convertibles scowl at my open pipes (with baffles).

On the drive down we had a 45 mph cross wind that was not easy to drive in. especially when the box was 69 years old, and a little lose. Around Rensselaer, IN we stopped for a while to get gas and stretch our legs.

After parking the truck a bunch of old timers ask what kinda motor is that and say its a Chevy, they nod and one guy asks me to fire it up, at this point all i want to do is get back on the road, but OK so i fire it up and give it a nice a few nice strong kicks. I guess he was not expecting what he got becuase my friends all said he jumped a few inches off the ground and a few inches back.

So we continue on fighting the cross winds. When we pulled into our hotel parking lot and I get out my friends say I look like I have been in a roadster for about 3 hours. My arms, face, and sun glasses where covered in black road grime, and I have buckets of sweat pouring off of me. (I wish my mom had taken a picture) I was tired.

So my friends says where you running baffles, and I am like yeah why. I guess some of the baffle screws came lose and I shot a baffle across the highway. (I had a vision of a new BMW getting a windshield shattered by a hot baffle.) My dad tried to muffle the sound but did not work and I guess some of the screws that hold the baffle in came lose. oops.

In the morning we went to registration, but after we got out we found that the copper line from the block to the mechanical oil gauge was leaking. So after 30 min we where back on our way.

Most of my problems where minnor issues, I think for never drving the truck more then around the block a few times it did pretty good. So here are some pictures I took it will take a while for me to get them all uploaded. I have selected about 50 of my 100's of pictures I took.

2. 38pickup

38pickup

Four 1934 ford grille shells in a row.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 38pickup

38pickup

4. 38pickup

38pickup

5. 38pickup

38pickup

6. 38pickup

38pickup

7. 38pickup

38pickup

8. 38pickup

38pickup

Just a small bump to show anyone that did not see indy coverage.

9. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

thanks for the pics

10. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Hey, congrats Tony on the maiden voyage!

11. 38pickup

38pickup

Thanks, 40Standard and Chad... :D

12. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Thats AWESOME! Im glad you made it without any major problems. I cant wait to see your truck in person. HAMB drags, L-Ville nats, Rock n Rods?

13. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Seeing the Chi Town Hustler make a pass was really great. It has been 37 years since I last saw it run.

John

14. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

bitchin tony!!!glad your trip went good....thanks for the amx pic on here buddy!:) ;)

15. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

That Mr. Chevy rules.

16. 38pickup

38pickup

Hell yeah I love that thing I took more pictures of it if you want to see them.

17. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

that car sat in a garage from 1976 till last year when the current owner bought it and cleaned it up. it is just as it last ran in 76 right down to the tires it last raced on. it has a beautiful diamond tufted interior in metal flake vinyl. LOTS of chrome inside and out on this one. Hilborn injected 337 ci Chevy, 4 speed and chromed Pontiac rearend.
    it has two dents above one rear wheel well and a hole above the other from when the u-joint exploded on it's very last run in 76. on the way home frmo the track that day the truck that was hauling it was hit and the car knocked off the trailer. after that it was put away in the garage and there it sat till about 10 months ago. the Hurst glove the driver wore on his shiftin hand is still sitting next to the shifter on the floor where it sat for the past 30 years.

you'll be seeing and reading more about this car in the near future. ;)

18. hotrod34

hotrod34

Tony,

I was fun crusing down with you. The Thursday morning hold up was no big deal. We are idiots and found ways to pass the time. Like makeing up songs to the Spiderman theme and winning stupid inflatable balls in the crane game thingy.

the bro
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Waiting
    [​IMG]

Making friends with the locals
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Your pictures of the show are better than mine so I'll save those for me.

19. 38pickup

38pickup

LMAO Good times by all. It's too bad that the inflatable ball broke :(