Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features My Survivor Story.... 32 3-Window...the build begins

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by kisam, Sep 12, 2009.

1. 93blazer4dr

93blazer4dr
    BANNED

2. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I had heard about a 3W coming up for auction in Norfolk (I'm only 140 miles north) but I didn't know the car and its history and I had forgotten all about it (damn oldtimers disease!). I figured since I heard about it through the Deuce grapevine that a lot of heavy hitters would be shooting for it anyway. Congratulations on bringing it home and for keeping its history alive.

I think two 32 3 windows were up for sale in Nebraska within 2 weeks of each other....the best one came to Texas to a good home....Kathy has a life long comitment with this car..

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Placement, size/shape, and rivet location makes me think that this was probably where an Iskenderian Cam tag once was mounted.

Timing tags are typically mounted in the vicinity of the dashboard.

I'm glad to see that you are going to bring it back to the way it was...I think that's the right move.

4. The heart longs...but the fact remains that this is a killer Deuce with history; who knows, the tag may come out of the woodwork.

5. kisam

kisam

You all make me smile!

Bill is right, there was another 3 Window in the same town that was going on an auction block, the following weekend according to the son in law. What are the odds of that? He said it was in mint condition and that people were flying in from all over.

I am going to try and get the car show picture scanned this weekend, so I can determine what steering column, lights, tach, etc were. This picture was taken by a professional photographer by the name of J.Stephen Gillette. I have found one in Omaha,Nebraska. I am hoping they are the same and he has more photo's.

Bass, you may be right. There were a few Isky stickers on the car.

Gauges - you can't have enough? I think I counted five holes on the dash and seven in the header plate, plus the tach you can see on the dash.

6. Just a little update for all you hungry HAMBers; I think we have located a clutch and flywheel, thanks to RichardD, they are from his '54 industrial motor, and after wading through a mountain of info on Hemi Tech I am certain they will fit Kathy's '57 motor. She also has a poly motor from '57 so that gives us the pulleys, exhaust manifolds, and miscelanious bits. Richard is also letting her have a rear sump pan he bought online only to find it won't fit his block as it is a later model. We suspect that the motor with the blower sitting on it has never been built up for supercharger work as the stock pistons and rods are in a box and the block is hollow. It might be a simple rebiuld situation, as Kathy is shooting to emulate the photos, then it was running a single AFB, and cast iron manifolds. We studied a grainy copy taken at a car show and think that it had hairpins, which would explain the dropped axle but unbent steering arms on the spindles. Mocked up with a Mustang 9" it looks like it's just right for some reversed wheels, too. The pedals were from a Chevy truck with hydaulic clutch, and wouldn't you know; she just happens to have a parts truck sitting in her yard. Cool!

Also on hand is the automatic behind the poly, an early tourqueflite(pushbutton) and we are looking at the starter plate and bell from it, I looked in tech but failed to find if anyone has done this; use them to adapt to a stick. Any input would be greatly appreciated. LEE

7. tombat

tombat
    from eawa

I have three words for you: YOU GO GIRL!

Tombat

ps: are you looking for a spouse?

8. Quit cock blocking me!

9. kisam

kisam

Quit drinking beer now!

Tried to figure out the steering box as I had a Ross steering box but then I snapped that it was turing ass backwards. Can these be reversed like others or is there another candidate of this size? This is a pic that is very similar to the original set up, but the Ackerman or lack of is not very good?
    [​IMG]

I am not gonna lie. I sat in it for hours yesterday. It sits like a dragster. Just enough room to push in the clutch. Going to have to find some swing pedals. Guess I am gonna have to fight the wasp that took over the parts truck.
    [​IMG]

Here is pic that I robbed of the net. Note the two gauges to the right. My dash has two small holes there also. I am guessing this was a aftermarket kit or maybe just popular?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a Hamber that was good friends with Ron and built some "one off" parts for the blower on the 392 Hemi!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
    chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. citcapp

citcapp
    from Bothell WA

What you are doing is outstanding, saving a little piece of hotrod history for all of us to enjoy. Best of luck on the build. I and many others will be watching this build and drooling all over ourselves with envy.You rock!!!!!!!!!!

11. I have an F-1 box and column you can borrow to see how it fits. That's the box Vern Tardel and Mike Bishop recommend.

12. kisam

kisam

Thanks Richard. I have one, it justed looked bigger than the orignal steering box. Here is the "car show" pic that I scanned today. You can see more detail in the copy I have. Note: Four headlights, reversed F-1 shock mounts, tiny radiator (sprint car?) and I think hairpins?
    I got the swing pedals out of the Chevy PU and I brought the brakes to work with me. So I can sandblast, paint and rebuild the brakes this week.
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

That is a great shot.

14. bigken

bigken

Schweet - keep it going..........by the way, I was considering B-Ville myself..........

15. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Actually, 1932 3W Ford coupes had a glove box door from the factory ... where yours has a panel with the 2 gauges.

[​IMG]

Also a photo of the correct ash tray and the cigar ligther that goes in the center of the upper dash rail. Usually if they fill the glove box, they also fill the lighter opening. ( I see they they did not on yours :D )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As a 32 3W coupe owner, I just LOVE your coupe and have been watching this thread with lots of interest. Keep us posted on progress please ... PLEASE

16. kisam

kisam

Cooool! I think Skotz, Casey, Unclelee and Brokenspoke are going as well! More is better! I can't wait!

17. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

that cars is so sweet. i have printed off that photo from another post awhile ago . its funny i kinda thought that that car was long gone scraped melted down and made in to a buick that was rusting away in ajunkyard by now but here it survives .nice find

18. Not so sure about that, I heard there's a dress code!

19. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Santa Claus in a skirt?

Good to see a car like this put back the way it was.

See you in Temple.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  20. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

WOW, what a crew! Speed Week 2010 is goig to be a BLAST!

22. Kathy,
    I'm shooting for the "Utah Salt Flat Racing Association" event which is about a month later than the "SCTA" event. They have a "street class" that will allow me to actually "run" my 3w on the salt(The SCTA rules would make me have to completely rebuild the coupe to pass tech:(, and thus lose a lot of it's "character")...I went out to B'ville in 73 to "watch" and have been determined to go back to run a car, instead of watching(and yea, I ran the 5w down the "return road" for the feeling, and I want more....a real sick-o)........Sooooo, whadda you think.....Lets take "both" 3 windows out there and RUN them down the salt!!!!
    Congratulations on a really cool find, and thanks for texting me a preview picture. Your patience was rewarded....THIS was meant to be....I am real happy for you:D!!!
    Hope to see you at DOTD.....I've got the QC rearend out of the Flathead 3w that got blown up at the last drags and am shooting to have it ready for Temple.....lets see, weld up the center section....find some 3.7 gears...order "smaller' tires....we'll talk then.
    Wow, what a Cinderella Story of Hot Rods, with Kathy as the star:cool:(besides the ol car, of course)
    Skot

23. kisam

kisam

Skot, Mom said we couldn't play together anymore!:D
    I was seriously looking at USFRA rules about two weeks ago and thinking that would be more realistic in regards to regulations. I noticed they had a 130MPH and 150MPH Club. Um, maybe 2011 for USFRA. Vettes would be fun also??
    I will be picking your brain on that quick change - see you at DOTD
    Norm, my new best friend, (that's what I always call him) is bringing me a 4 speed for the HEMI! I'll be picking his brain too!

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

This reply made me smile... Thanks...

25. diggers4life

diggers4life

It's music to my ears too. :)

26. rustisgold

rustisgold

any more progress on this car? iv been droolin over the pics posted so far

27. ...doc...

...doc...
    from Houston

Dude, your a chick,.. with a cool car, which makes this thread even better. :D
    When can some Houston HAMBer's come look at your car, or help?

Congrats, looking forward to the build updates.

28. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

29. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

how much did you get your 32' 3 window?
    some day i wish i can find one, atleast afford one.

goodluck man, beautiful car.

30. rodncustom

rodncustom