Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My stocker '30 A coupe turned hop-up!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AstroZombie, Apr 30, 2011.

1. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Well, I sold my last project due to health reasons and bought a stock amateur restored 30 coupe to drive around and mess with. To me it was the perfect candidate for a period hop-up. It's a really good runner, and I got it from a great gentleman (who would probably strangle me if he sees this thread!)
    As of now you can see I have removed the fenders, made a nice headlight bar out of the fender braces and cut down original bar. The single taillight and new CA license plate are temporary as it will be replaced with a 30 CA plate soon.
    I plan to keep the banger (for now, my go AV8 in the future) reverse the eye on the front spring and remove a few leafs from the rear. And really want to chop it 5 inches, but my wife and friends are trying to talk me in to only going 4.... Anyway, here are the pics in progression, and where I'm at today. Enjoy!

A pic from the sale ad and the way it looked when I drove her home

[​IMG]

A few days after, still loving it and driving the heck out of the old girl

[​IMG]

My daughter and I before a rumble seat run
    [​IMG]

Teardown begins

[​IMG]

And where I'm at today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

i like chop car's and hot rods
    but geez, if you wanted to make a hot rod...you shoulve started with something that already going that direction.
    i hate to see a all original model a torn down.
    a car is only original once....

3. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Looks like you're on the wrong forum!

AstroZ. Great looking car, sounds like a great plan, I've done the same, 'cept the chop.

Started 4 banger, moved to V8, never looked back.

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Great ride man, I dig it. I like the idea of a 5" chop but it seems like most of the chops done that far back weren't that severe.

As for 'only original once'... well, someone else already killed that. ;)

5. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

6. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

It's all good. The car isn't perfect, but it's in great workable condition. I didn't start with a 12 point show car, just a nice banged up driver. To each his own, I enjoyed the car in it's stock form, and actually has been my favorite car just for it's personality. I started with a car like this in my price range because of my messed up back. I am able to do little things, but those are two buddies pulling the bumper for me. (They also helped pull the fenders for coffee and a ride in the rumble seat!) The dedicated fab work of a build is over for the rest of my life. Thanks for your opinion though, I can see both sides of the coin. :)

7. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Thanks! Hadn't run across that one yet. I am planning the chop out, as the body is too good to do a hasty chop on.

Thanks everyone for the comments, positive and negative. I'm just happy to be the caretaker of this car at the current time, and I look fwd to coming home from work every day and going for a drive. :D

8. I love it, and good luck on the chop however much you decide.
    30s rock!

9. how tall are you
    a big chop on a coupe with a stock seat is not a good idea
    just my .02
    i drive my dads stock 30 coupe back and forth to work 2-3 times a week
    i am 6'4" and i have a real hard time seeing the stoplights
    tk

10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I've had alot of model A's.. Always sold them.. I just chopped a 29 coupe and now I know why I sold the others.. They weren't CHOPPED.......

11. If I ever got did a project like this, I'd look seriously at stock restored cars too.

Can I ask some newb questions? So are the stock wheels 4 or 5 lug, and can you just swap on later rims or is the bolt pattern real unique? I think I've read of folks swapping in later car rearends I'm assuming for strength.

12. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Stock bolt pattern is 5x5 1/2, same bolt pattern Ford used on trucks on up into the 90's

13. billthx138

billthx138

Nice start, don't worry about what the others are saying there are still untold numbers of restored stock Model As out there. I too started with a complete restored car but I got too carried away with the build and should of kept it simple as you are doing. If i would have I would be driving it now instead of still chasing parts and funds. Have fun with the banger.

Attached Files:

14. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I don't blame you for starting with a nice car. Why start with a junker if you don't have to. Period Hop Up parts will make it alot of fun. I wouldn't chop it, but thats just me...

15. 'Mo

'Mo

Looks like the party has already started! :)

Are hydraulic brakes near the top of the list? Dropped axle? 16"wheels?
    Post lots of photos as you go.

16. hellzombie

hellzombie

Hey Astrozombie, hope you don't mind but I started fiddling in photoshop and thought it looked pretty sweet, so I thought I'd throw it up. Only a medium chop and a slight lowering - might give you something to make some decisions from.

I reckon it looks sweet in stock form and chopped form for what it's worth. Enjoy

[​IMG]

17. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

IMHO, I think the original, full fendered look was awesome. The way it immediate looks with the fenders removed does leave something to be desired. However, that being said, I'm sure the build doesn't stop there - and the look will be greatly improved as the recreation progresses along. It could be that those who compare what you started with with what you currently have (or show) that they take issue with. I say its yours, do what you want with it! LOL

It looks like a wonderful start, and should become a diamond doll by the time you're done. Good Luck!

18. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I'm only 5ft10 and much more than a 3 inch chop is tough for me to sit in and see street lights.
    Looking good though.
    There's a stocker in a garage not far from me. I doubt the owner will sell, someday when there is a wad of cash in my bank him and i are going to talk.

19. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

I do have a set of 16's but may or may not use them. Depends how it looks once I get it lowered a bit. Believe it or not, the mechanical brakes are wonderful. They stop just fine after some adjustment and I think I'll keep them until I decide I HAVE to have a drop axle. Right now I'm keeping it simple and low buck.

I'm 5' 9", but I'll make a lower riser for the seat or even tie the springs if I have to for clearance.

AWESOME! Of course I don't mind, thanks for taking the time to do that.

Exactly, and thanks for seeing the vision! It looks comical going down the road now and I feel like I have more ground clearance than my Jeep! With time (and money) there will be some good changes.

Thanks everyone for the comments, I appreciate them all!

20. Ride (and preferably drive) a chopped one before you chop yours. Do you want to drive it or just park it and admire how neat it looks? I remember wishing I had more head room in my stock coupe but it had original seats.

Charlie Stephens

21. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Astro- Looks killer man.

Don't listen to all these internet experts telling you it's too nice to cut, or that it won't be driveable after the chop. Mine is 5" chopped and I drive the shit out of it. I'm taller than you too, 6' so you won't have any issues. Plus the look is killer.

Go for it man-and post up some pics!!

22. 36Brua

36Brua

Nice photochop ! any guestimate how much of a chop ? 3-4" ? thnx

23. I would study pictures of genuine "hop-ups" before deciding on how much to "chop". You can always chop a few inches, then sit in it and stand back and look, then if you want, chop an inch or two more.

IMHO too much chop would look like a "hot rod" with the wrong wheels and engine, and not a "hop-up".

24. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Exactly! I have a perfect shot at a great period, I don't want to mess it up with a radical chop. I think I will line it out for a 3 inch then take more out if it doesn't quite fit the bill. I want to dial in the stance before going crazy on the roof.

Charlie, I do and will drive the crap out of it. I think any chop on a 30's car is difficult to drive, see stoplights.. etc. Kinda something we give up for the look and feel of our habits!

Thanks shooter! Funny we got ours around the same time and are pretty much on the same page with the look of our coupes. Somewhere a purist is dying inside! :D

25. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Looks great to me...
    You chop yours I'll chop mine. I am thinking 4" on mine

26. cakes

cakes

as long as you keep the original colors (that cream yellow and black look killer together) do whatever you want.

27. FWIW this is 3 inches

[​IMG]

28. billthx138

billthx138

Dont be afraid of the chop and if you will have enough room. Mine is chopped 4 inches and with the rear package tray removed and the seat on the floor there is more than enough room. And the issue of not seeing the traffic signal, heck with two inches off my roadster and the top on I too cant see it with out having to bend to look. Just the way it is.

Attached Files:

29. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Man, you may be spending your time parts chasing but thats a beautiful A you have. Thanks for the pics, I am starting to be swayed to only 4 inches...

30. Subscribed, man. I'm in a similar boat as you, and I'm going to do the same thing. I picked up a 29 roadster.

[​IMG]