Register now to get rid of these ads!

my sport coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustomkoupe, Mar 31, 2004.

1. kustomkoupe

kustomkoupe

i just wanted to put up a picture of my sport coupe as it sits so far...actually this was last weekend...the door is cardboard just for temporary as i have yet to cut down the coupe doors...im shortening it 3 inches...also the body is clamped into that place in the pic so its a bit out of alignment...i have thebody channel all cut and welded now and working on reattaching the pannels so its in a bit better shape..but its raining so i cant take a better picture outside for a while..my garage is too small to get a shot of the whole thing

Attached Files:

2. spudshaft

spudshaft

It looks good, I am assembling a sport coupe sans roof too. Did you have the subrails? Did you replace them or what? What are you going to do with the windshield frame?

3. gettingreasy

gettingreasy

Looks like you got a hell of a start on that bitch. Are you not gonna keep the WIDE 5's, I noticed in your other post you saidsomething about 17" wires?
    -Jesse

4. lulabelle

lulabelle

Cool car.I hope to see it in person someday.Welcome to the hamb from up-river.

5. Neat car!

Keep us posted with work on it... maybe some pics of neat stuff you do to it to inspire the rest of us.

Sam.

6. metalshapes

metalshapes

Looks good...
    Did you find the info you needed?

7. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

I love the 39 wide 5's!!!!!!!

8. Toqwik

Toqwik

Doin a coupe-roadster conversion myself. Looks like ya have a good start.....Toqwik

9. nor cal nic

nor cal nic

i'm piling up parts for my '29 sport coupe' project... dunno where i'm goin' with it... i'll keep an eye on yours for inspiration...
    nic

10. Welcome to the HAMB. I'm just a little south of you. Don't know how soon you are planning on having it done but there is a really cool show on May 22 in York Springs ( just south of Dillsburg) Even if you don't get it done come on down.
    Clark

11. backwoodz

backwoodz

wow...spend a few hours working and the replies pile up...thanks for all the good words...i'm gona try to combine all the responses...first off..the car started as a pretty nice complete sport coupe on a rolling chassis...it had these ugly coil spring mounts and huge trailing arms...i'm assuming some sort of 60's drag type deal? i cut that junk off and made my own back half of the frame stepped 6 inches to run a spring behind the rear axle "47 car rear"...i cut the subrails 3 inches shorter in the back "straight" area where the 1/4's attach...im going to shorten the doors the same amount as to not have the long interior look of most sawed off roadsters...im not too sure what im going to do for a window yet...not using the stock one but im keeping it for other projects..its in great shape(my dad wants to get an A truck)...im leaning towards making an aluminum "V" window of some sort but we'll see..im trying to figure how to disguise the large step in the cowl and i'm thinking tying in the window will do that and also proportion the looks of the longer hood (with the V going forward onto the cowl farther)...moving the cowl back the 3 inches gives me room that im going to be able to fit a 30/31 firewall with the flathead V8...as for the wheels...im not sure what im gona run...the wide 5's are from a 36 i'm thinking of using them only because im supposidly getting some brakes and drums from a 39(thats mechanicals on there now)...i donlt have any good drums that will fit my spoked wheels...F-1's donlt look like they'll work out too well without alot of backspacing...if i do the wide 5's i'm going to paint them gloss black and put blackwall tires...6.00front 7.50 rear and run no center caps but still the trim rings...the wide 5's save a few pounds ...rotating weight...and as for the jalopy showdown...i was there last year...and i will be there this year...im not sure if the car will be done or not...i need money for radiator and a few other odds and ends which doesn't look like i'll have in time...i've been putting in about 6-10 hours a day on this thing for a month or so now and i'll be doing the same untill its done...but money is the problem so we'll see...but i'll be there rain or shine...wow thats alot of typing...i'm attaching a picture of the shifter knob i made for in this thing

zach

Attached Files:

12. kustomkoupe

kustomkoupe

geez forgot i was on this old computer."backwoodz" was apparently my name when i was on here a long time ago...i didnlt even remember signing up before...well anyways sorry about that...kustomkoupe is me now

zach

13. OK,how did you make the Billet Aluminum Rocket? [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Boyd called.He wants one.

14. kustomkoupe

kustomkoupe

haha. i tried to figure out the same thing for a while..then it hit me...i made the center on the lathe..then cut 3 fins and just welded them on...grind file sand and polish..it was pretty simple just time consuming..and came out better then i expected...i wanted it to look sand cast...not billett and it does...cause its mostly shaped by hand..not machined looking..whenever we all get our cars done we sorta are starting a car club called "piketown rockets" so i guess we'll all have them...gotta find a way to save time though..maybe i should just cast them?

15. retro54

retro54
    from PA

Heya, I'm a friend of Kustomkoupe. His car is gonna be pretty damn sweet, I've seen it in person. lookin forward to cruisin' this summer in my 54 following his A-bone..just hope I don't get rubber all over my grill..haha

16. Zach... instead of shortening the doors how about shortening the rear quarters. Long doors are nice. Trust me! Plus it might be a little easier.
    Retro54...These guys like intros. Start a new thread and intrduce yourself. Pictures get you points(girlfriends or cars) [​IMG]
    Clark

17. kustomkoupe

kustomkoupe

clark, that was the original plan..but i played with it in a paint program and i didnt like how it looked.. real roadster is only 15 inches to the back of he interior on the 1/4's and a sport coupe is about 20..so that was the plan..to take the coupe down to 17..but it jst didnlt look right...so i decidedto do it in the doors...its atualy already kina done..i didnt cut the doors yet but i welded the thined out posts back on and stuff and have the 1/4's hanging...it should work out alright..plus if i take out more 1/4 i wonlt fit my number back on

18. volken65

volken65

Zack, I think clark ment shortening just the top of the rear quarter panel. and since you neet to repair the top panel above your trunck lid anyway it might be worth a try.
    Here is a photoshop version of it. I streched your door a bit (to look stock) and left the quarter length the same (your number still fits) but i just moved the top of the quarter forward to look like a real roadster.

19. volken65

volken65

[​IMG]

Here's your og picture just for comparison.

Here's a cool link were a coupe was turned roadster.

Coupe turned Roadster......
    Don't know why it never made it to the Tech O'Matic

20. kustomkoupe

kustomkoupe

thanks for doing the drawing..the thing i donlt like about a real 29 roadster is that long flat section above the trunk...i kinda like how the sport coupe 1/4 look a bit more like a 27...if the weather cooperates..i should have this ready to roll outside this weekend and i'll send a picture of how it looks with the 3 inch shorter doors...they are still longer then a stock roadster door..im going to make a mock-up door from sheet metal and see how it looks before i cut down the coupe doors still but i have the 1/4 braces and stuff about all welded in and im going to cut off the windsheils posts today probably cause they really throw you off with that straight up and down line..