Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects my sketchy 55

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 8FLEET9, Sep 27, 2009.

1. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

oooooooohhhhh kaaaayyyyy! got sidetracked by my new (to me) fleetwood limo, sooooooo
    back to work. gonna lower the ass end this weekend so i can see where my radius needs to be for the ridiculous hoosier slicks i plan on running. gonna get my clutch fully functional, and hopefully score some pizza cutters for up front at amhearst on sunday. want to get this toilet driveable for richie's show on may 22, let's see how i do under pressure.
    also named the car today; "hot mess"

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  2. falfas55

falfas55

Making some great progress.Stay with it. That engine looks great.Did you say you were going to radius the rear fenders? Either way,it's gonna be a fun ride.FALFA

3. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

you need a axle under the front of that bitch ..:eek:

4. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

you got one you'd care to donate & install?
    cuz i'm all for that.

5. 55chevr

55chevr

If you plan on driving it stick with the A arm suspension ... lots of old gassers ran with them ... its already there and it works .... Joe

6. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

cobbled together clutch linkage is good to go. 2"s lower out back wasn't dramatic enough so i lowered it 3" & am prolly gonna ditch a leaf outta the spring pack too.

7. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

all the wiring is roughed in (thanks to richie) gonna hack up the quarters this week and hopefully get the wiring finished up too

8. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Keep up the good work man. Cant wait to see this one finished!

9. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

matty hacked the hell outta these quarters today! changed the whole look of the car, i love it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

moving right along on the wiring, engine is wired, all the dash wiring is routed. lights & gauges are next. a few more late nights and she'll be ready to fire. then i just need to get the driveshaft shortened and some header turndowns made up. hopefully i'll get to take her for a rip in the next week.

11. Butch M

Butch M

12. ironfistdog

ironfistdog
    from Warren, ma

I'm surprised its not black yet!! Its coming along! Still gonna do the red windows?

13. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

dumped some gas down the carb, gave the dizzy a lil twist & she fired right up today. gotta get an upper radiator hose and hook up the throttle/mount a gas pedal so i can get her running for real. all that's left for wiring is a few new bulb sockets & a reverse light switch. also installed most of the dash today too.

paint & tint are pretty low on the priority list at the moment. how's my Lo-Lo?

14. ironfistdog

ironfistdog
    from Warren, ma

I just ment in general for the windows, I saw a 50' roll of it for like $5 bucks, just lookin out. Also I saw a set of pizza cutters on CL in boston area for like $100 bucks. Might be the right bolt pattern?? I forget what it said they were. I don't own the lo-lo anymore I traded it for a 1940 plymouth. Guy who owns it now lives in pittsfield. Older dude, is taking care of it nicely, not some young punk kid who'll scratch up the paint LOL. :)

15. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

yeah i'll eventually do the windows red. that's a shame you traded that caddy for, of all things, a plymouth! eeeew. but hey, to each thier own...

picking up the shortened driveshaft, an upper radiator hose, finishing up the throttle linkage tomorrow so i can hopefully take this thing for a rip this weekend. i did register it today with my sweet 1955 mass plates as added incentive to get this thing driving.

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  16. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

couple pics of the dash.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    yes, that's an 8" donut wheel. no i don't have power steering. yes, i plan on driving it like that.

17. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

18. Butch M

Butch M

19. truckjunky24

truckjunky24

i like watching a build for the start!! looks good!!! keep it coming!!!:)

20. ironfistdog

ironfistdog
    from Warren, ma

Dash is looking good! Good luck with that steering wheel lol!
    Yeah I don't plan on keepin the plymouth either, just gonna cruise it till the 34 chevy gets rollin.
    I tried sellin the caddy I couldn't even get $3,000 for it. Everyone who likes it is BROKE!

21. roughneck424

roughneck424

My first car too was a White 55 ( 1978 )
    [​IMG]

Have Fun with yours!!

22. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

today was a long day. got the driveshaft in, she moves. but i heard a bearing noise from the tranny. thought it was the throw out bearing, pulled the tranny & swapped it out. no luck, still a noise in the tranny. oh well, i'll run it til it grenades & hopefully by then i'll have a replacement 4 speed. then of course there was the coolant leak from the weep hole in the water pump. aparently someone thought it was a good idea to hang on to this leaking water pump (used parts are a huge part of this build) so this particular water pump in the under the bench water pump pile was poop. so i stole the 1 off richie's clapped out small block that i've been tripping over for the past month. i also welded in some tubing tying the rear frame rails together, cuz i plan on eventually running a glass rear bumper & for now i need a place to mount my plate. also added updated sockets to the og taillight housings and all the rear lights work. woop!
    aaaaaand, i picked up these today;
    [​IMG] yeah yeah they dont belong on the car blah blah, they were real cheap, real light, real centerlines, & i really like 'em! the tire is like new, and my buddy at the tire shop has an equally nice used one the same size for $15, woop! thanks ironfistdog for the heads up.
    [​IMG]
    thanks for the kind words guys.
    p.s. i know how hard it is to sell a lowrider...

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  23. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

your doing real good. i kinda cringed when i saw you radius the wheel wells but it does give it a mean look!

keep up the work!!

24. Yeah that water pump is pretty much brandy new.... :(

25. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

well, now it's got fresh paint on it!

headlights def give her a bit more personality
    [​IMG]

26. lorodz

lorodz

looking good keep at it ...

27. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

took her for her maiden voyage today. across town (open headers) to the exhaust shop during lunch traffic. carb needs some tuning, as it falls on it's face during part throttle tip in, but i expected that. drove as good?/bad? as i assumed. trans sounds like a cement mixer & the shifter is a real piece of crap, but who cares!? i'm driving my own 55 chevy!

28. chris55

chris55

Congrats man, you've done a great job. Sure wish I was driving mine.

29. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

after long nights at the shop for the past 2 weeks this thing is a legit car today...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

some pics of the new exhaust
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. SpeedAddict001

SpeedAddict001
    from Alaska

Thanks for the build updates! I love your '55 and I think it looks great! Keep it rollin'!

SpeedAddict001