Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects my sketchy 55

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 8FLEET9, Sep 27, 2009.

1. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

WTF is scuuuuured ?

Besides that welcome to the dark side of 55 ownership !

Now the FUN begans !

2. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Nice score Fleet! Hey Butch, where did the 56 come from in your avatar? Lippy

3. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

def gonna radius the wheel wells. how am i gonna have big ol' cheater slicks hanhing outta them otherwise?

4. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Right on!! Looks like a good solid starting point. Yeah look up ShakeyPuddin' and get going.

5. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

so i sold the front clip today to finance a glass 1 piece front end. so the car looks even less like a car then when i started. plan is to get brakes and wiring done this weekend. we'll see.

6. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here's where i'm at today. stripped down to a shell. it seems odd that the first thing i plan on doing is the brakes. oh well wheel cylinders and a master this week. the body mount braces are way crustier than i thought, so i got to repair a few of those. reallyyy didnt want to have to do that but it's gotta be done. why is it that every car looks better 'til you own it?

i did score this tunnel ram and valve covers for a cool hundo though.

7. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Stay after it and have fun. You have a lot more 55 there than I had when I started. It's just as much fun building it in your head as it is to actually build it. Pick a theme and stick with it and before you know it, you'll be tearing up pavement and killing tires

8. PORKCHOP76

PORKCHOP76
    from iowa

i thought this is how everybody did it... first a mini truck then a tru lowrider and at last a hotrod.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  9. dudley32

dudley32

love them 55's

10. Well if ya got one inked on, you should probably keep this one for life, too! Chevrolet rarely put undercoating on these cars or even a complete coat of paint on the floorpans. Yours looks better than most starting points. Got/need a 327 to put under that tunnel ram?

11. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

Looks real solid, better than the guy made it sound. I saw the nose on CL, glad you sold it. Looks like a score on the covers and Tunnel Ram.

12. Butch M

Butch M

keep going you will love it when done. hey lippy it's bin in my famly since it was new..

13. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

I got a 283 that i need to go through. hopefully i can get away without machine work.
    yeah i think i got a lead on a used fiberglass clip. so maybe i can use some of the new clip money for the floor brace & tail pan repair work it needs.

i spent today cleaning out mouse crap.

14. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

so i put a 4 speed in my car today
    [​IMG]

15. quit teasing us dude!

16. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

new dual res master, front wheel cylinders, and lines today.
    not to glamorous, but i guess i gotta start somewhere.

i hope to start on the floors/braces and body mounts this week. got a bunch of hackery to try and make right.

17. truckjunky24

truckjunky24

man you got you a good start !! build it like you want, its yours!!!! welcome to the 55 club!!!!

18. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

i hacked some new front floors, braces, and body mounts in. still got to fix the rear floor and braces before i start wiring it and putting the interior together.

i did pick up "the cobra" glass front clip for short money. it's rough but def workable. i'm thinking i'm just gonna mount it with 6 hood pins instead of doing a tilt. it's light enough to handle myself, and i'm sticking with a "less is more" mentality on this car. i'm thinking removing the material under the marker lights too. it will take on the higher stance look of bumper-less 56s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, jet shiny assed black and low with a fourspeed and pair of nice glass packs just like the "big guys" had when I was in Jr high and High school.

What kills me is that 21 years ago I had a 55 Belair two door post in close to the same shape except that it had a big hole in the hood where someone had had a tear drop scoop and I couldn't get 400 bucks out of it. Traded it to Phil Lovejoy for something and he probably still has it in his stash.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

20. rascal55

rascal55

Ha !! Ha !! The dude that got the caddie
    got screwed !!! Start cuttin, thats what
    I'm gonna do!!!!

21. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

the caddy was a mint driver. this car is a pile of parts. he hardly got screwed. i did build that caddy you know? so shit talking it doesnt go over too well with me.

22. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

cool 55! good thing that Caddy had that Giant Cadillac sticker on the back! I no idea what it was!

23. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

got the haggard glass clip mounted today. 4 hood pins, some threaded rod, the stripped down og radiator support & a couple hours work.
    [​IMG]

24. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

did a bit more work to the ol' cobra today
    trimmed off the lower splash pan
    [​IMG]
    and sanded most of the gnarly old paint off, ran outta paper.
    [​IMG]

25. lorodz

lorodz

good looking start

26. wild willey

wild willey

Very WICKED!!!! Can't wait to see da pragress as it goez!!! Pleaz keep us posted!!!!!!!!!

27. PegLegStrick

PegLegStrick

looks like a solid start......start wrenching

28. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

tha's pretty much the look i'm going for with this build

29. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

[​IMG]
    still got a few more hours left of body work on the front clip. but it's coming along nicely. took care of the few big cracks now on to the smaller stuff.
    [​IMG]
    here's my sweet lil small block! it's an 84 305 out of a caprice with 90k it runs mint and it was free. i'm in the process of cleaning it up getting it ready for some fresh chevy orange. she'll be getting some timing gears along with a single 4 barrel tunnel ram and those sweet finned aluminum valve covers.