Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Shoebox Dash Metalflaking + Hidden Radio Laid Off $0 build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Mr.Dickies, May 10, 2012.

1. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I can mail you a piece of the paper I sprayed the flake on also the one I painted with just base. PM me your address. I took the flake to Ray's auto paint and he mixed the color. In person the color is different than the photos come out. It's basically all flake I got it from http://www.paintwithpearl.com/flakes/canadianblue/canadianblue.htm
    The only way you see the blue is if you look real close. It's a pretty close match to the flake. I am going to Ray's in the next few days I can ask him to write it down but he mixes it by hand. I'm going to do my roof in the same flake with the hot rod flatz midnight blue metallic on the body I am trying to figure out where to end the roof since I am doing 54 Pontiac side trim.

2. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

In the sun with steering wheel installed. The color on the pictures is closer to what it looks like in person.
    IMG_2363.JPG

IMG_2359.JPG

3. cederholm

cederholm

that looks great!!

4. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

It does look awesome. Very nice work. Not to put a fly in the ointment, but ... How is the sun glare off that dash? Had a chance to check it yet? You might need to keep a little flat black dash cover in the car for when you take it out!

5. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Man that blue is perfect - love it!!

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  6. LoLife928

LoLife928
    from Yuma,AZ

dash looks awesome.

7. Philbilly

Philbilly

That looks awesome!

8. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I drove it about 25 miles today and it isn't bad. The way it's angled it doesn't hit me in the face. I'll keep everyone posted if things change.
    Thanks everyone who likes it. I should be back up and running with the window pieces real soon. Until then it's patch panel city. I did make two door panels today and a kick panel.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  9. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

So today I replace the rear piece under the trunk with a EMS roll pan. When I took the bumper off and the rear splash pan I found a suprise. I didn't want this suprise but it was mine non the less. Back story when I bought this cars years ago it was a R@* R#&. I never cruised it as one I painted it a few days after I got it the way it is now. I just wanted a Shoebox and I could afford it and at the time it was a okay deal. It was primered black and had red rims skull stickers and a bunch of rust on the floors. It drove okay but I swapped the rear end to a Maverick so it drives way better now. So the guy I bought it from traded a Model A for it but he realized it was to much work for him. So the body has issues. It had an inch of tar in the trunk when I did the Mustang tank so I knew it was hiding something. Well today I found out what. The rear splash pan was bondo-ed on had about 1/2 in some spots. The rear had pieces tact welded on as patches that had bondo with a inch of tar over it. You couldn't really see it from the inside and from the outside it just looked like bad body work. I poked the holes through the sides with my finger before I took the pictures. Anyway last year I scored all the patch pieces for the sides on evilbay for $100 and the rockers for $40. So I bought the roll pan from the person as they hadn't listed it yet but offered it to me for $25. He even shipped it for a fair price too. So fast forward to today. And this is what I did.
    IMG_2370.JPG

IMG_2371.JPG

IMG_2372.JPG

IMG_2375.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2381.JPG

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  10. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Good job on the dash - flake looks just right .

11. Deu55

Deu55

Love the dash looks great,did you change the horn button?...Rod

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

12. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Thanks guys.
    It's a Mercury button. I have two.
    Here's what I have been up to while the Wife and Son have been out of town. There was places that had 3/4 inch of bondo in the rear quarter panels. I did the rear roll pan yesterday and the driver's side two patches.
    I ran out of welding gas or I would have finished whelding the whole front panel.
    IMG_2384.JPG

IMG_2385.JPG

IMG_2387.JPG

IMG_2383.JPG

IMG_2382.JPG

13. 55delray

55delray
    from Florida

nice job. Like the hideaway look!

14. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

15. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

My lil helper Tyler inspecting my work. Who knew kids love Clecos? Passenger side almost done!

120529_184344.jpg

120529_184353.jpg
    Hey Tyler who did that to the Shoebox?
    120529_184307.jpg

16. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

looks great. love the blue .

17. The_Monster

The_Monster

great job! I love it!

18. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I frenched the taillights with bubble lee lenses. Or as my wife calls them "fancy lights"!
    IMG_2437.JPG

IMG_2438.JPG

19. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Took the passenger side rocker off to replace it. The person wrote someone's phone number on the patch before welding it in. Also found a few rust holes in the inner rocker.
    IMG_2448.JPG
    The bottom of the a pillar/lower firewall was the worst part. I replaced the driver's side when first bought the car as it didn't have one and came with the patches.
    IMG_2444.JPG

IMG_2445.JPG
    Not 100% like the original but for the cost of walking to the scrap pile they will do. I did replace the whole inner rocker on the driverside. It was way worse off then this side. I used a piece I wasn't happy with for that side on this one to replace the lip as it was the the real rusted part and left the rest.
    IMG_2447.JPG
    The people at EMS must have never installed their replacement panels on these cars. The patches are close I would say they are about a 95% match. some better than others. So far I have used their complete lowers all the way around minus the inner rocker. I read somewhere not to waste my money on them and they are really easy to make your own. There is not one panel that is a direct fit. You have to hammer and dolly, cut, bend and weld every panel to get it close to working. Some panels are closer than others. They aren't a perfect fit. But close enough to make due. I am shocked Bob Drake doesn't make his own panels that are a closer match.
    I am happy with the way they turned out. I will take pictures of the finished project. I get caught up in trying to get as much done as possible before I have to go pick my son up I forget sometimes. Overall I am very happy with the way things turned out. Just finishing touches and weld in the passenger rocker and I will be done. I decided to round the lower trunk and door corners. Also shave the rear license plate and do a 49 chevy front license plate surround on the rear.
    IMG_2450.JPG
    IMG_2451.JPG
    IMG_2454.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  20. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Rounded the corners of the passenger side door.
    IMG_2459.JPG

IMG_2458.JPG

21. manhugos my bitch

manhugos my bitch
    from nor cal

22. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Rounded left trunk corner
    120709_161004.jpg

120709_161021.jpg
    Both sides done. Not a huge change but I really like the way it looks. And I have paid the price a few times with blood hitting the corner. The plan is to round all the corners on car. Would the front lower look weird rounded? I am starting to really dig the rear roll pan.
    120709_163827.jpg
    Rocker seam shaved.
    120709_160944.jpg

23. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

24. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Man you work fast! Did your outer ems rockers match up height wise with the factory inner rockers? Mine seem to need some stretching.
    Andy.

25. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Andy
    It helps being laid off trust me. My brother gave me advice about doing everything I always wished I had the time to do while I am off. I'm not a very good bored sit and do nothing person. I use my time on the car like it's a job. Monday through Friday unless my son is home I work on the car 9-5 and then pick him up. I pretty much get a task done a day. I do side jobs when they pop up or I would be further along. I had collect everything to do this car since I bought it. Before I just worked too much to ever do it. Now that I have been working on the car everyday I realize I would have never finished one day a week.
    Mine didn't match up height wise I needed to stretch them too. On the passenger side I just repaired the inner rocker and on the drivers side I had to make new a new inner rocker. But they both had to be strethed. EMS panels are just close to the shape you need to massage them into shape.

26. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

IMG_2460.JPG
    Lower passenger door done. Some finishing up to do still. Also fixed the scrap where the previous owner had tried to screw and pull it out and just made it worse and added about 1" of bondo.
    I'll shave the door handles after lunch!

27. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Cheers. Good on you for keeping moving. Doing a great job.

28. -Brent-

-Brent-

Awesome, inspirational even. You're knocking this car out, man. Keep it up.

29. msalamanca

msalamanca

Mine needed stretching, cutting, welding. they didnt match up to the front rear 1/4 panels.

My honest opinion, I would of rather bought the tools and done them myself. For the amount paid, its not the best product.

30. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I got mine from evil bay for $25 so I can't complain. Same story for the other panels and rear roll pan. So together I have less than $150 bucks on all the replacement panels. Plus $40 shipping so overall I'm happy it just seems like all the rckers are smushed. When they came in the box I thought they got smashed or they were seconds. But your right it would almost be easier to make them yourself. I have a set of homemade ones someone gave me but I forgot to try them.
    I had to do everything to get them to fit too.