Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Sedan project gets a HUGE gift from my brother

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodgerodder, Jul 13, 2005.

1. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Well I've been building my A Sedan, and I'm at the point that I'm building the frame. For power I'm running a Olds 455. Yeah, its not a vintage engine(late 60's)but I own EVERYTHING as far as the longblock to put it together, cheaply. And it should be a handful in the sedan. I have heads already rebuilt and bagged up, a new crazy cam, and everything I need except intake & carbs.

Well thats been my problem. I LOVE multi-carb set-ups, who doesn't. But for the 455, NOBODY makes any aftermarket(new or old)tri-power or multi-carb set-ups. And I really didn't want a single or dual 4-barrels, I wanted tri-power.

The only tri-power set-up for the 455 is a one-year-only, 66'(I think)442 Olds manifold and carbs. Of course, since its a one-year-only setup, they bring STUPID money from restorers. Of the two fairly complete set-ups I've seen for sale, they were $2200 and up. Which I cant afford now, so I was bummed out.

Well my brother is getting married(SUCKER:D)in a couple weeks. He drove a 455 olds thru high-school. Sold the car, but saved and bagged his COMPLETE 66' 442 tri-power set-up. Everything-manifold, carbs, linkages, fuel-log, the whole shooting match, all original parts. He SWORE he would NEVER sell it, at any price, ever.

Well I mocked up the sedan with my 455, and HAD to set his tri-power on it, to dream a little. Well it looks amazing, and I was bummed. Well my brother went to the shop, saw it mocked up, and how happy I looked. The next day he called me and told me with his wedding coming up, he could use some extra $$, and he knows how badly I want tri-power. So he sold me his set-up SUPER cheap! I am so happy I can't believe it! He just made me promise to never sell the set-up, and if I do to sell it to him. And all it needs are 3-air filters.

Sorry for the novel, I'm just so grateful to my bro, and excited because it will really make my car in my opinion.

I will definitely thank him for getting married and selling it to me so cheap in my best-mans speech:D Heres some mock-up pics

Attached Files:

2. skumbag

skumbag

looks good, sounds like you have a pretty cool brother.

3. snortonnorton

snortonnorton
    from Florida

awesome..

man is that your own personal garage? it's a great shop.

4. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

He's the best for sure, not just because or the tri-power deal. He's always more concerned about others then himself.

5. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Nice score, cool brother. Make sure if you decide to get rid of it, to offer it back to him.

6. plan9

plan9

the 455 olds is a great motor... anyone that has a problem with it "not being traditional" is a retard.

congrats on the intake, your sedan looks bitchen.

7. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks alot. Yeah, its a shop me, my bro, and dad split. The end that you see in the pic is the messy end hehe. Its about 2000 sq. feet total, and the rest of it is honestly pretty organized. I really can't take working in a mess. We each have abot 700 sq. feet to work in, and theres still room for tools(frame table, tubing bender, 597 different jigs from past projects hehe). I like it because I can work all night and there no houses around to bother. And split up 3 ways, its really well worth it, and not that expensive. If I could attach a 1-bedroom apt. to it I'd be in heaven

8. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks man, I agree with you. I have always liked olds mills, and this car kinda needed something big to balance the car out and not look lost. I'm not gonna worry about people that talk sh*t about it. I'm doing some things that definitely aren't 100% "traditional", but its my car. Theres always somebody that hates others things, no matter what it is. I appreciate the nice words!

9. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Yeah, that was definitely our deal. I honestly don't ever want to get rid of the car, but if I do I'll take it off for him for sure. Its all thats left of his "first car".
    Yes, I'm a happy man!

10. plan9

plan9

i think you hit the nail right on the head.

having a big motor up front helps tie in everything else - ie. heavy chop and low to the ground. based on your mock up pics the combo is working out just right.

not to mention the tri-power is a really neat addition to a neat motor. i think people will enjoy seeing something different.

hmm.. you will be going thru bias plys at a phenominal rate... might want to buy stock in coker or firestone, heh. :D

11. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thats what my and my dad were talking about too. And it will be a conversation piece with a somewhat different engine and carb set-up.

You are right about the tires though, it'll be a tire-fryer for sure. I can almost smell the burning rubber!
    Thanks for the support

12. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

Wow, that setup is almost too nice for your car! :p

I'm kidding. You've got a great brother man! I wish someone in my family was into cars....

13. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

WOW a 455 in a hot rod is going to cause alot of mayhem and terror in your home town. good luck :)

14. So nice!
    the multi carb set up only came on the 66 olds 442 W-30. it was axed the next year to make the Corvette the only GM with multi carbs.
    my uncle has a 66 442 that is sitting in his driveway. hasn't been worked on in a long time because of finances.
    James

15. fatabone

fatabone

Are you going with the air ride front end? It's going to be hard changing lanes looking over that rear tire.:D

16. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That engine looks perfect there, don't change a thing. Nice ride man..

17. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks a ton for the kind words guys! Yes, fatabone, I am bagging the front as well. I'm using a Cen-Pen Traditional Air(kinda an oxymoron)set-up. Its meant to run the axle under the swing arms, but I'll have to run it suicide and mount the lift arms into the 38' wishbones so the frame will lay out. I attached a pic of the front set-up. The bags are almost totally hidden in the front crossmember, which is like an overgrown model a front crossmember.

It is pretty funny that the rear tire comes up above the rear door hinge when the bags are aired out, makes me smile:D

I also got my front frame rails built today, so I now have both rails built front-to-back. I left the rails long so I can trim them once I figure out the exact wheelbase. I his the z behind the cowl, and once I know the final wheelbase I'll taper the front rails model a style. Once my brothers weddings outta the way I'll get the frame finished up, I'm so excited to get this up on wheels! Heres a link to the frame build so far:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=770965#post770965

18. aedan

aedan
    from ###

thats heaps cool that tri-power set up looks awesome, btw everytime i see your sedan it looks better and better

19. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

thanks alot man! I'm happy its starting to look somewhat like a car and less like a pile of parts!

20. popsrods

popsrods
    from macon,ga.

thats one bad slammed four door dan!!!! looking better every day.
    wayne

21. mule

mule

i wish I had arother, that looks mad