Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Second, First Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotrod95, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Well guys. You might know me for my other build thread on here (My parents car) And you might not. But its a kool build thread. It's in my signature. Check it out. Haha, enough bout that. I posted up because I'm excited because I just bought my first truck. I say second in the title because I previously got an O/T 1974 super beetle. But now. I think I qualify to be a true H.A.M.Ber!!! Check out what I just made a deal to get!:cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

3. congrates its a sweeet truck so what are your plans

4. poorboy

poorboy

Cool, what are your plans for it?

5. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

I think I want to lower it a couple of inches and throw the buety(SP?) rings around it with the original ford hubs (in pic above) And probably black it out and drive it? With some rust repairs of corse haha. But im not doin much to it. haha

6. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

The hub caps got thrown in for free, Anyone know what they are worth? They are original. I know that re-pops around here are 100. but what about originals haah. Thanks!

7. olskool34

olskool34

Why not run them on the truck? They are not worth the price of new ones.

8. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Oh. And that was my plan. And the chrome buety rings.

9. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

What would you guys do? I'm making it a Daily Driver for skool. But I still want it to look good. Comments? Concerns? Thanks

10. rick finch

rick finch

You need to go to SCHOOL to learn how to spell BEAUTY.;)

11. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Haha. Thank you! I have not used that word in a long time. So, I didnt quite remember the spelling. I see I was far from correct. Haha. I'm fourteen, so its ok :)

12. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Ahhhhhhhh, no it's not. ;)

13. Have fun and be safe for yourself and others. Don't miss any opportunity to learn from the old timers. They have a lot to offer. Did I mention "Have fun"? :)

14. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Haha. No. But. Now I know.

I have learned SO much from all the guys on here! And I'm greatful to be a part of this group! And I cant wait to get started on the truck. I'm thinkin lower it a couple inches. a dark satin green. The tailgate have the FORD painted white. White wall tires Chrome beauty rings with the original hub cabs cleaned up and have the ford blue painted satin green or just have em chrome. And I have alot more to decide on but thats all I got for now haha.

15. Cool truck. Looks like its doin 50MPH standing still! I had one, and I wish I had it back.

16. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Before I saw this truck I had NEVER heard/seen a flathead straight 6! I think it is wicked kool!I cant wait to get it to the house

17. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Good luck, looks like its going to take a fair amount of work to be ready for the road. But hey, thats the fun part right!

Most important, make sure its safe, new steering/suspension bushing, all new brakes, new tires and new glass.

18. brucer

brucer
    from western ky

your moms gonna kill you :)

19. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

20. Arthur1958

Arthur1958

Your plan sound reasonable. Don't jump into anything too radical too quick (even though I brought up the subject of channeling when I talked to you previously). And if the engine is good, or at least rebuildable, don't let anyone talk you into changing it right away. Those were very good engines and very popular in their day. Lots of speed equipment was made for them and you can still find it if you look hard enough. You can make it way cool. ... Oh yeah, and don't forget to put in some seat belts.

21. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Haha. Safty first! That motor is too kool! I deffinatly want to keep it if possible. there is a possibility that it might run. The guy said they drove it into a barn 30 years ago and he had bought it and never done anything wiht it. We are gunna trailor it home and the first thing firt. a battary and gas in the carb and see if it will turn over and start! I would be so happy if it did. But cant get my hopes up to high.

22. Arthur1958

Arthur1958

It's always nice to get an old engine running; even if you know you'll need to rebuild it later. Before you try to start it, though, put some WD-40 in the cylinders and let them soak for a while. That might save the rings and cylinder walls. Ideally, you should change the oil and coolant, too. You also might want to check to see whether there is crud in the carburetor bowl; if you're careful, you can do that and put it back together without completely rebuilding the carburetor right away.

23. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Thanks for the advic man! That sounds smart to me! Is there anything else I should look at before I try to start it?

24. Arthur1958

Arthur1958

Make sure it's out of gear, and remember to connect the ground cable to the positive battery post.

25. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Haha! So. What do you guys think of the truck? Ever seen any of them like what I'm wanting to do? Pictures would be great! Thanks guys!

26. smarg

smarg

Wow Michael, your getting your arse into everything!

Thats pretty cool, I would try and find the newer front clip and grille (1950-1951)

I may have missed it in previous posts, Still running the flathead mill, right?

27. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

28. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Yo, Smarg. Hows the 50 goin? I love that bike your buildin. tried to get my mom to let me build one but she said NO. Haha.

29. smarg

smarg

30. smarg

smarg

Its goin, I'm having trouble with parts and crap got the engine rebuilt and all back together. Getting ready to clip the frame and I'll be somewhere.

Mother's what do they know, Ay?