Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Roadster Project....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 22dodge, Jun 26, 2007.

1. 22dodge

22dodge
    from Nevada

Well, I thought I would post some photos of my ongoing project.

It is a '22 Dodge cut down touring body; a '29 Ford frame that has been z'd 11 inches at the rear and narrowed 6" at the firewall.
    Running a '49 Chevy 235 "high torque" 6 with Mc Gurk cam and intake, Nicson covers and a Mallory duel point. A '36 Chevy 3 speed, and 48 Ford running gear. I have an early steel quick change that will go in it as soon as it is running again.
    It is coming together slowly as I can only get a few days garage time every couple of months with my over seas work schedule (Russia).
    My wife does a lot of parts chasing for me while I am gone, so a big thanks to her for her help and understanding.

We bought it 4 years ago as a 3/4 built project (kind of ratty), but I liked the basic setup and saw the potential to end up with what the wife and I wanted. We got it running, drove it for a month while figuring out all the changes that it needed, the took it down to bare frame and started over. I have included a collage of pictures that gives you an idea where we started from once we had it running.
    Hopefully you can see some positive changes.
    Slowly, but surely, on the road again soon. '22<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  2. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Thats one hell of a neat modified. Well done.

I just love the Vintage dress-up / speed equipment you have on it.

I really want a McGurk 3 or 5 carb manifold, if you hear of any for sale.;););)

Did you cut and shut the '36 and 48 driveshafts in order to run the Chev gearbox to the Ford torque tube? I know that the ford front end will fit into the Chev coupling for the torque tube.

3. rat seeker

rat seeker

It looks great keep us posted

4. Built2Ride

Built2Ride

hell yeah for sure, very cool.

5. Retroline

Retroline

Looks like a ton of fun! Love the mill.

6. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Looks Good To Me.

7. Looks great! really has the right stance. Gotta love those Stovebolt six mills:cool:

8. Very cool! I have a soft spot for those awesome little Dodge roadsters. I really like the dirt track tire combination too. :cool:

Here's our 1918 Dodge.

Attached Files:

9. 22dodge

22dodge
    from Nevada

[/quote] Did you cut and shut the '36 and 48 driveshafts in order to run the Chev gearbox to the Ford torque tube? I know that the ford front end will fit into the Chev coupling for the torque tube.[/quote]

Thanks for the positive comments.
    Yes, the Ford shaft and tube were shortened and connect right up to the Chevy trans. No problems with that one.
    McGurk intakes are on eBay regularly, $250.00 to $500.00 with carbs and linkage... The 5 carb set ups are usually for GMC motors. '22

10. 22dodge

22dodge
    from Nevada

Thanks, nice looking Dodge. What are you running for an engine?
    The interior shot gives me some ideas. '22

11. We're running a Chrysler 225 Slant 6. :)

12. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

This car was built by johnfordman here on the hamb. Ive drove in it many a times, if i remember right it took some machining to get the chevy trans and ford rear matted together. I like what you have done as far as updates, but give credit to John for the work on adapting the trans and rear together....

13. john Ford Man

john Ford Man

OMG!!! That's our old Car. it was a Blast. i really like what you have done to the car!!! It's really nice to see that it went to someone who would do something with it, That was our hopes........ so please please keep us posted....... thanks for the pic, and thanks

Stogy likes this.
  14. flyingsparkpluge

flyingsparkpluge
    from fresno

way cool it stell has the look it did when it was in my dads garge bad ass kip it up man

15. john Ford Man

john Ford Man

well here our 4 of the cars that i built....... one of the pics is of the dodge when i owned it.... one is Xadamx of the hamb's car, and the two racing is creeper larry i help him build it in my garage and the other is our old 31 coupe that is now owned by Nitro speedshop witch he has painted on the doors.there still is 11 in 4 years that i built out of my garage that are still on the road. the Green 31 roadster that people made comment about at paso car show is another one i built....for mark Rodiquez out of Stockton.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  16. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

If a guy's going to have only one hotrod it should be a roadster........

17. 22dodge

22dodge
    from Nevada

Not a problem, was never really told who did what to what before John delivered it to me. And machining was never discussed, that I can remember (just shortening the drive shaft and tube), because I got a spare tranny with the car and we discussed the Chevy / Ford connection. Any other back ground or history would be appreciated.
    John, feel free to jump in here with what had to be done to make it work....in case I ever have to do it again... '22

18. 22dodge

22dodge
    from Nevada

John, glad to finally make contact with you. I have tried to get in touch with you a few times...cell phone, house phone, email....never could reach you. Is the '31 coupe the one that was in your garage when I was in Fresno checking out the dodge??
    Attached are some more photos...frame after welding, holes filled and sand blasted; the doors after reworking; front end after drilling backing plates, axle, and front crossmember.
    And the early steel quick change that will go in soon. '22

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  19. john Ford Man

john Ford Man

she is really looking good. like i said i am so happy that it went to someone that cares.... that was our hope.

Stogy likes this.
  20. Von Scott

Von Scott
    from fresno,ca

I think I wet myself the first time I saw that thing driving down Van Ness back in 02 or 03. Nearly lost my elbow the time I rode in it also! Man I miss that car and I didn't even own it.

21. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Hey, I remember that car from Ebay. It was for sale a couple of times out of Fresno. I really like the stance of it.

Mike

22. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Does it still have my Fenton valve cover on it? I would not have sold it if I new the car was being sold, I was the sucker for the day. Also all the sheet metal patches were done by Larry Avelar in Fresno.

23. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

Cool ride. Looks like alot of fun.
    -Anthony

24. Thanks for sharing the pics..looks like hell on wheels(in a good way)...i too saw it on ebay a while back...wondered what became of it.....keep it up

25. nice job, like the engine choice

26. Koops

Koops

Congrats to to all builders concerned. That's a slippery little 'job' comin' together there. Especially like the neat rear work. Nice use/placement of parts. Often modifieds get sloppy around this area. This car has a tight ass! :)

27. 22dodge

22dodge
    from Nevada

Thanks guys, it seems like there is more history on the car than I thought.

The Fenton is on the wall in the garage, as I got a good deal on the Nicson covers together.
    But it is still with the car... Thanks for the patch panel information, Larry did a good job.

Yes, I saw the car on eBay, the auction ended and no one had bid, which was strange because the price was right. But the car had left an impression on me, talked to the wife, called John, and drove up to Fresno. John took me for a ride and I was hooked.
    Also, a big thanks to John for bringing the car down to La Mirada for me for the price of gas.
    He had additional plans on the trip, but it was one less problem for me. '22

Stogy likes this.
  28. Great job to all involved, from initial exocution to the detail stage!
    My vision of a modified.
    So, has anyone ever had it weighed? I'd love to know how much, not just a guess. Thanx, LEE

29. rab71

rab71

I love this car I had seen it on other websites as well. It's great to fianlly see you on the HAMB, I new your car would fit in great here. As a matter of fact I had saved pictures before of your car, and I think the stance is aswome. I want to get my 26' T roadster to sit that low as well. I thik I am going to run an inline six as well, and turbocharge it. :D

30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@22dodge how has this Cool Roadster of yours evolved to date...It was pretty darn sharp where you had last left off...Just curious...;)