Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My roadster pickup project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don's Hot Rods, Apr 19, 2012.

1. n847

n847

Wow...I would really appreciate that extra leg room!
    Stupid question if you put the fire extinguisher up there will you be able to get to it quickly? Its hard to see how far under there it will be? I realize you don't want it hanging out in the middle of no whwere, and God forbid you ever have to use it any way!

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Whiplash, we are going to use the smallest of our 3 bead dies and just put enough of a bead in there to be noticable. I used the biggest die when I did the beads in the firewall and even that one didn't change the dimensions of the steel, all the holes lined up when I was done.

n847, that little alcove under there isn't very far under the dash, so all I would have to do to get at the extinguisher is reach under and unclip it from it's mount. I sort of want it hidden from sight anyway because I used to have one mounted to the kickboard on the passenger side of my 27 and people kept stealing it when I would park it at a restaurant or at work. I would come out and there would be an empty bracket staring at me. :mad:

As for the legroom, it is so narrow up in the very front of the cowl that you wouild have to have feet like a ballerina to utilize it anyway. The Olds takes up it's share, leaving not much room up there. Luckily, when Dan built this body originally he built in some extra room behind the doors. This body is about 6 inches longer than his Brookville 30 body, so that space under the cowl is not even needed.

Don

3. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

That floor & tunnels looking great Don

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

4. Hi and a very Happy Birthday Don Snr. to you and I hope the lads spoilt you with heaps of car stuff.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks, Steve.

Haha, thank you Whiplash. As a matter of fact they did get me car stuff. :D We went out to dinner the other night and Don got me a Speedway gift certificate and Dan bought me a couple of tubes of the 3M panel adhesive I need to put the floors down. I think I will use the Speedway certificate to buy my spun aluminum tank, but I just have to see if I want the 10 inch or 8 inch diameter one, not sure which will look more proportionate until I build the bed.

I felt kind of guilty taking more stuff from them because we just had Father's Day and a little over a week later my Birthday. I think that is called double dipping.:eek:

Don

6. Wow not sure how I missed this build. Love what you are doing Don and glad to see that Dan's old cab is being used. I loved following his build and yours looks like it is going to be just as good. The two of you are going to have a pair of pretty slick RPU's!!

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks K13, how have you been ? It won't be as nice as his, but it should be fun anyway. :) Now that it has rained for the day and is cooling off a little we are getting ready to head over and do some more work on the other side of the floor.

Don

8. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Happy Birthday, Don.
    I have followed Dan's build and yours too for quite a while.
    You guys certainly do build nice rides. :)
    It's always great to see the family builds.

If you haven't already thought of it (and we all see that you guys have plenty of good ideas..) I would like to suggest you "build" 2 fake tanks out of 8" and 10" ends of plywood or whatever scrap. Then staple on bristol board/construction paper/thin cardboard or whatever for the body. That way you can see which size works better for proportions once you build the bed.

Just a thought...

Joe

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks Joe for the B Day wishes. :) Good idea about the discs. I know the tank is going to be a little taller than the bed sides due to the big kickup in the rear, but I don't want it higher than the back of the body.

Dan and I spent our 4th of July like most Americans.........we worked on our projects. :D For part of the day Dan worked on his Mustang project while I made a template of the floor on the passenger's side, and then I got it cut out of the sheet metal.

He must have heard me cussing because he wrapped up his car and came over an helped me get the floor panel shaped and to drill the 37 holes in this side , just like the driver's side. Once we had it fitting well he cleaned up the metal for me with a DA, and then he and I laid out 7 beads per side and rolled them into the sheet metal.

It came out pretty nice if I say so myself, and at least there is no more daylight coming through the cut out floor. We need to put the body back on the frame one more time to check clearances and then we can use the 3M panel adhesive to glue the floors down, and finally we can finish them off with rivits.

Oh, by the way, after we rolled the beads into the panels every Cleco lined up in it's hole perfectly, so I guess the bead rolling only distorts the metal right at the bead and leaves the overall dimensions untouched.

Here are some pictures from tonight.

Don

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hey Don belated birthday wishes mate, I never realised it was your birthday already, seems to come around every year !!!

Your lucky to have 2 great sons, hope you had a great day.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

11. Happy belated B-Day wishes from me too. :)
    Truck looks great!

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks, Guys. I wish I could stop having birthdays . Oh wait, that wouldn't be too good, would it ????:eek::eek::D

Don

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  13. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Hey Don,

Great progress.

I too missed the wishes ... on time.

Keep up the progress.

Paul

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks, Paul. :D

Don

15. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

I'm actually over in Tampa till sat. early a.m. with my wife & little guy. We're visiting with the Ms. brother. He retired down this way. Went to Clearwater today & St. Pete 2morrow.

I'll eventually get across to see you guys on 1 of these trips.

Stay Gold.

Paul

16. I have been good thanks. Not enough time working on my truck but what do you do. Nice to see the two of you working on another project together. Look forward to the updates.

17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Paul, enjoy your vacation in Tampa. Maybe we'll get to see you sometime at Turkey Run or Billetproof. :)

K13, glad to hear you've been ok. You've got to make some time to work on yours a little.

Claymore, I just turned 67. How did THAT happen ? :confused: Have a nice Birthday Monday.

Today I plan on putting the body back on to make sure stuff still clears all the flooring I have put in, then cleaning it all up and gluing down the floors.

I have to maybe spray a coat of cheap primer over the entire interior to keep it from rusting again while I work on the body. If I use the final epoxy primer I will have to scuff every inch of the interior before I put the final coat of rocker guard on it or it won't adhere. If I use some regular primer I can probably wipe it all back off with lacquer thinner when that time comes. I have to think about that one a little more.

Don

18. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

No, Don is at least 100 years old :D:D:D

19. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

No more soup for you !!!!!!!! :D

[​IMG]

Don

20. LOL I still do work on it but to be honest since having my son it has become less of a priority. The truck will always be there but spending time with him as he grows up is a one shot deal.

Hopefully when he gets old enough he will have the interest to work with me on projects like you have with your sons. It is something I really miss doing with my Dad since his passing.

21. RussTee

RussTee

This has too be as good as it gets and it is what is making this thread so special neat to see you and your boys all working together gotta get my boy on a welding course now I dont see that well any more.

22. Phil 41 Chevy

Phil 41 Chevy

This is one of the best builds on here!! You do awsome work, and it is cool how your sons help out.

23. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

K13, you are doing the right thing spending time with your Boy now. Before you know it they are all grown up. I loved every second of mine when they were little and my life began the day they were born. :) My own Pop died when I was 11 so I know what it is like not to have one in a person's life.

RussTee, that is my problem with doing my own welding, I am as blind as a bat any more. But even when I could see well my welds were strong but weren't the prettiest. Both of my Sons have surpassed anything I was ever able to do anyway, so it only makes sense to let them do the fancy stuff for me now.

Phil, these days I am the helper but I push a mean broom. Every once in a while I do come up with some idea that shocks my kids, but I usually have to take a nap afterward. :eek:

We got a little done at the shop today. Dan worked on his Mustang then helped me put my body back on the frame. We wrapped up early because I am not feeling great today and Dan insisted we quit and come home. Just some bug, but every time this happens they think I am on my way out and get all bossy. :p

Should have some pictures of some updates in the next couple of days, and thanks for looking and your comments, everyone.

Don

24. Happy Birthday Don !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frenchy

25. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks, Frenchy. :)

Don

26. AHotRod

AHotRod

Hey Don !

Just caught up on your new project, you and Dan are doing a great job, good vision and creativity. I ran a Bendsen adaptor behind the Nailhead in 'Lime-Squeezer' and it worked pretty good.
    If you guys ever build something with a roof :rolleyes: and A/C, I built a 180* reversed-under-dash-master/pedal assembly, snug fit :D.

What rear gear ratio are you running in this project?

Tell Dan Hi from Jennifer and I .....

Glenn

27. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

28. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks Glenn, hope you and Jennifer have a nice Anniversary. It is a 3.00 right now and I may leave it at that because that ratio worked so well in my 23. I figure the Olds will have enough torque to get it moving ok.

Thanks, SRS. Appreciate it. :)

Don

29. AHotRod

AHotRod

Excellant gear ratio Don.

Fact is, all we ever ran in our roadsters were 2.79 gears and loved them.

30. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Sweet build don what tires are you running