Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My roadster pickup project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don's Hot Rods, Apr 19, 2012.

1. If you decide to unload a pair of the Guide headlights I know someone who needs a set. :D

2. Very nice Don! Everything just looks right. thanks for posting.

3. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Looking good Don. You got my vote.

To quote Floe ... "Tidy".

Paul

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Haha, the problem is, I have two other hot rodders in the family who have dibs on my stuff if I don't use them. We trade back and forth a lot, which is how I ended up with a lot of this project.

Thanks guys for the compliments. I have to give Dan a lot of the credit, he took a lot of his days off from working on his own car to help me out on this project. I felt really bad taking his time............ok, I felt "kinda" bad. :D

Don

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have a pair of the reproduction Guides with the lights on top that I plan to use.
    Yes they are larger but I like the look of them.

Don't feel bad Don, that's what kids are for :)

6. Roger53

Roger53

Just a little check in from de soon to be great white north.Lookin good I did the some thing when I pickup a drill doctor about 3 days of sharpening ! Hope your planning next build this one gettin close you do a great job on your post . GETTER DONE Roger:D

7. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

This is pretty cool build thread,really great work.Keep it up!

8. Those shock/light mounts look solid.

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks again. :) Yeah, I think we could hang the car by those mounts. :D I hate shakey headlights that jiggle around going down the road at night. I buddy had some on his hot rod and when he was following me at night it looked like he was flashing the headlights at me.

Don

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Tonight I ran over to the shop to do some stuff and started playing around with something that has been on my mind since I started this build. I know it won't be entirely traditional, but then again, it might be. So please give me your opinions, good or bad. :)

I have a very nice Moon tank that was given to me by a good friend and I have been saving it maybe for a little altered I plan on building, or something special. I really like it and tonight I slipped it under the grille shell to see how it looks, and I kinda like it. I have plenty of room in the bed for a radiator, which would be hidden by the louvered tonneau cover I am going to use, and I would kinda dig doing one car in my lifetime with a rear mounted radiator, just because I have never done one.

So, here are some pictures of it mocked up in place. I figure if I get a sign painter to do some door art, like maybe a Bomber Girl and "Don's Speed Shop" lettered on it, plus some vintage decals, it would make it look like an old drag altered.

What do you guys think ? (Be gentle on me, I'm an old man :p)

Don

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Thumbs up on the Moon tank!

PS - you're only as old as you allow yourself to be.

12. 54MEB

54MEB

x2!

13. The moon tank looks pretty cool!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. knotttty

knotttty

x4 here..... I cant wait to see how it turns out Don.

Roy

15. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

I like it. Build it how you want it. It's your rod! :D

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

The opinions are much appreciated. I think it would be a fun engineering exercise to build the rear mounted radiator, and it would probably keep the Olds cooler because I can fit a much bigger radiator in the bed than I could in the model a shell. The Moon tank could be used as an overflow tank or maybe to hold Jack Daniels. :D

I'll have to think about it some more, but I am liking the idea better all the time.

Don

17. AHotRod

AHotRod

Just a FYI brother Don, When I built Squeezer I had a tank like that mounted out front. I had overheating issues on the road. I tried everything under the sun to correct the issue and nothing worked untill I removed the tank and Bingo! .... no more over heating.

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Hi Glenn, long time no see. :D Was the tank blocking a front mounted radiator ?

Don

19. AHotRod

AHotRod

Yup! I just started a new computer tonight so I have to move all my pictures, etc. yet. I'll find a picture of when it was on so you can see.
    What happens is it acts like a wall and directs the air around the radiator.

20. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That is what I figured. I am going to hide the radiator in the bed with one or two SPAL fans on it, which should cool the Olds pretty well. I figure the heat loss through the long tubes going aft, plus the big radiator I can get back there should really make it run cool.

It will also save me some money, I think. A custom made front radiator will be in the $600 range and in the back I can use a universal aluminum 19 x 29 or bigger that can be bought for around $ 200. But that is just a secondary consideration, I think the car would look pretty bad with nothing but a bare model a shell up front. :)

Don

21. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Don for what it's worth I'm not a fan of Moon tank's except on a gasser..The model A I'm am working on now had a Moon tank on it.It lasted about fifteen minute's after I got it home.But if we all liked the same thing it would be pretty boring. Gregg

22. I'm thinking no on the moon tank...

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think you would be better sticking to the rad up front.

Never liked the radless look unless we are talking strictly race track car.

24. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Hehe, now you see why I keep going back and forth on this one. :D The good thing is I won't have to make a decision for a while yet, lots of other stuff to do like building my bed, bodywork, etc. For now I'll wrap it back up in the sweatshirt it has been covered with for the past few years and tuck it safely away.

Thanks for the feedback, both pro and con. :)

Don

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My opinion, FWIW, no moon tank. Non-functional excess gingerbread that just serves to clutter up the lines of the car. Its a hot rod, not a jukebox. Now, if you are running, mech fuel injection that needs pressure on ther inlet side of the pump to function, fine. Thats what they are for, and thats why it was done on race cars. Otherwise, well not so much. The hot rod equivalent of fake appleton spots.

26. I like the tank.
    Personalises the car.
    Not into cookie cutter mind sets.

27. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

How do you plan on filling the master cylinder?

28. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Through the old gas cap on the cowl. It is a dead straight shot into it. My Son did the same MC setup on his rpu and we check and fill it through the cowl vent on top. A thin funnel and you are right in there. :)

Don

29. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I'm down to the short strokes on the suspension for the car. The only things left to do is to make a mount for the bottom end of both shocks and one more mount for the SoCal steering stabilizer. The shocks and the stablizer are going to mount to the wishbones.

Tonight I made up two U shaped mounts out of 1.5 x 1/4 thick steel for the shock mounts, and one 1 inch x 1/4 inch thick steel mount for the stabilizer. I removed the wishbones and cleaned all the surface rust off so they will be clean for welding, and tomorrow night Dan is going to get that done for me.

I needed a way to hold the two shock mounts in the correct position on hte wishbone so we can tack them on and then remove the wishbones and finish welding them up on the bench. To do that I cut two pieces of steel about 11 inches long and drilled two 1/2 inch holes 9 and 1/4 inches apart. I bolted those on in place of the shocks and they will hold the lower mounts firmly in place and in the right location and angle for tacking.

The cool thing is, when these are welded on I am essentially done with all the suspension stuff, both front and rear. I can't believe I am finally to that point. :D Here are some pictures of where I left off tonight.

Don

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Hi Don, I like the idea of the open radiator surround with the moon tank in it. The bigger rad in the pick up bed should work real good too and it isn't too far from the engine.