Register now to get rid of these ads!

History My ride in a P-51 Mustang June 8,2014

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Daddy Don, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Speed~On

Speed~On

That must have been an awesome experience. The P51 Mustang is one of the most beautiful (and awesome sounding) airplanes ever!

$400 for a flight in a P51 Mustang....ABSOLUTELY!!!

2. In case you were wondering, here's the mighty Rolls Royce/ Packard Merlin v-12 engine, probably the finest liquid cooled aero engine ever. This is what powers the P-51. Note the centrifigal blower on the back of the engine.
    VERY exoctic stuff, the very peak of late 1930's engineering.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, not "Docs" plane, Bill Rhineschild is the pilot, He & his pilot partner owned 2 P-51 Mustangs, 1 they raced at Reno #45 "Risky Business"---& this one I rode in, converted to accept a passenger, the original P-51's had a small emergency gas tank & radio gear behind the pilot.
    Removing all that, made room for a passenger.
    Both partners sold # 45 P-51 racer last year.

4. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for all the replies guys!
    Wish I could put the flight here on the HAMB, but I'm not that good at computer stuff at 81.
    But I have been making DVD copies (35) & sending to all my friends all over the USA.

5. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FLASH!!----Just spoke with my son this AM, he was at a 4th of July party last night where pilot Bill was attending too, He said it was great to have me as exited as much as he was to give me that neat ride!
    How's this-----He invited me to go up again next year, OR whenever I'm down visiting my son!!!---WOW! I still can't believe getting another ride!
    What do you guys think???

6. That's the damn coolest Don, you must deserve it. Awesome ! JW

7. daddylama

daddylama

oh, that is awesome...
    i got to fly in a P-51 about 15 years ago, out of Burbank. what a ride... really want to do it again some day.

8. Ramblur

Ramblur

I know the feeling. WOW doesn't even start to describe it! I got to backseat a TP40 a couple years back and would do it again in a heartbeat! My neighbor has a "D" and "C" model and is working on an "A" model to complete the set. Only his "D" has room for a passenger so I may hitch a ride on one yet. My pre-flight briefing was short and sweet as we taxied to the end of the runway, "That thing your sitting on is a cushion." "I'll be the only one with a parachute for this flight." "Feel free to take control if I depart the aircraft."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here he is executing a perfect one point landing in his other P-40 in 1990 after a gear failure.
    [​IMG]

Here are the P-51's
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's in Austria this weekend,slumming it at an airshow... :)

9. Awesome! So happy for you Don!

10. Congratulations Don,I know you felt just like a kid again! HRP

11. 1/2 Cup

1/2 Cup

Absolutely awesome and thanks for posting.
    My wife presented me with a flight in a Mustang for my 50th.
    It was in VH-JUC and Australian built CA18 Mustang, similar to the P51D.
    I actually got some hands on flight time.
    Cheers

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

This is terrible; I just read in this mornings paper about the crash of a P-51 taking of from an airport in Durango, Colorado, at the Durango-LaPlata Airport, and both occupants were killed. The article also said, before this crash, there were 123 P-51 Mustangs in the U.S. Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear about that!----But I'm still game on for next year's continuing adventure!!

14. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

The P-51 that crashed in Durango was a recent purchase and the new owner, 51, was taking lessons. Owner and instructor were both killed. Awesome sight to watch it fly over my house.

15. Thats so sad to hear. JW:(

16. Tragic loss..

FYI, Don; "Risky Business" is now in the Western Antique Airplane & Auto Museum in Hood River, where I do volunteer work.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  17. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, when Bill Rheinschild raced it at Reno it was #45.
    I was completely unaware of Bill's (&wife Erin) noteriety in the P-51 Mustang racing field until entering Bill's name on the "NET" today.---A story worth checking out for sure!

18. jws333

jws333

When on vacation in Florida took a ride in a Waco open cockpit, and a few years later T-4 Trainer. If this is on your bucket list just go do it, suck a blast!!

19. jws333

jws333

Sorry ,such a blast

20. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Way too cool!

21. Don, did ya fly outta the Chino Air ?
    I did it also 4 years ago while out for LARS.
    Then did it again 2 years ago.
    Best bang for the bucks I've ever had !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, we flew out of Van Nuys airport, where Bill has a private hangar,----I'm still on "Cloud nine"!!!!

23. MotorCityDeuce

MotorCityDeuce

$400 for 25 minutes. How great is that! Two years ago at Oshkosh the going rate was about $2000 for 30 minutes.

24. Yes Sir " 12 Cylinders Burning Avgas Vibrat HAMB DECAL.jpg ing SOB" I loved my first ride as well"

25. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, actually the $400.00 was for 60 gals of av gas, both Bill & my son split the cost at $200 each, & I got a free ride!-----Can't beat that eh???

26. elba

elba

If you HAMBERS in Wisconsin have never been to the EAA in Oshkosh, you are missing a great show and sounds. Go on Sat night and watch the NIGHTIME airshow with the best fireworks display that you have ever seen. The Thunderbirds will be there too !

27. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been hijacked!!

28. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I have seen the inside of those 12 cylinder liquid-cooled aviation engines. Absolutely the most incredible work inside. the camshaft, crank, studs, everything was either machined down or rifle drilled for weight loss.

Ago

29. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Many years ago due to dumb luck/good fortune,I got a ride in the B17 owned by Paramount Aquariums in Vero beach Fl where I grew up.That B17 had a huge pink tropical fish painted on the verticle stabilizer.About a week later,I was fortunate enough to be invited to go on a flight in one of their B25`s.They owned two.That made two of my bucket list rides.Maybe one day I can do the others.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

30. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cant believe I missed this! Congratulations in your ride!!
    Like others I must admit I am just a little (Pronounced 'Lot') jealous, what a magnificent aircraft to ride in. The photos you have posted are a treat, the experience of a flight is total, sight, sound, sensation, smell and I'm sure taste from that snarling Merlins exhaust!
    Cheers.

Doc.