Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Rear Hubs are tightening against the bells....do I have the wrong hubs or axles?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kirk Hanning, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I've got a 36' Banjo that I installed a Spadaro quick change center section in. I utilized the 36' bells & axles but planned on using 34' rear hubs (which is what I already had and the 36' had no hubs on it). Either I have the incorrect hubs or the incorrect axles?

When tightening the axle nut the 34' hub wants to rub the 36' bell. The axle nut is only run in about 1/2 of it's threads when this happens. The more I tighten the more it drives the hub into the bell. I'm not sure wether there is a difference in axle lengths as mine would be too short or a difference in my 34' hub being to wide?

Any help is appreciated
    -Kirk

2. Call Dick Monday. He will have the answer.

3. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Sorry,I have no clue but this sounds like one of the kind of subjects that should be on here,so I will at least give you a bump back to the top.

4. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Thanks Low Budget I came to the conclusion that I did use 34' axles in the 36' bells. I'm aware the axles bearings were the same from 28'-36' so dummy me musta utilized the 34' axles instead of the 36' axles that I had on hand.
    The axle is out of the car, now its time to crack it open and verify my stupidity :( Luckily for me I still have a set of 36' axles on hand :) I'll let you know if it works shortly.
    I have also learned that the earlier banjo center sections were narrower than the late ones, that could also be a contributing factor.