Register now to get rid of these ads!

My PG Flexplate Grind...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54LedSled, Jan 14, 2013.

1. 54LedSled

54LedSled

My 54 Belair runs and drives awesome...however, most annoying is starting her. So I recently converted her over to 12 volt, she a stock 235 with PG. Most times when I go to start her I turn the key and a cringe my teeth grinding sound comes out. It does this a couple times and then finally she starts up. So what i do now is just bump the key very little till I hear it catch and then I start it. It still has the original 6 volt starter, however it was recently rebuilt before I become owner of her...looks brand new in fact. I'm sure this has happen alot to folks who convert to 12volt on these cars....what has been your fix for this annoyance?? A 12v solenoid maybe?

I don't believe the flex plate is bad or missing teeth...because it would crank all day when it was a 6 volt system with no grinding.

2. 54LedSled

54LedSled

What about having my stock 6v starter rebuilt to a 12v? Anyone try that? I just hate to continue to this rode for mulitple reasons...annoying, embarrasing, and eventually be out of a flexplate and having to find a another one. ???