Register now to get rid of these ads!

My paint question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by suiside, Apr 24, 2007.

1. suiside

suiside

so i have primered my car with 2k primer and it sprayed on kinda thick...so now the surface of my car is kinda ruff. so how do i acheive a satin look to the car? so i need to sand it? wet sand it? respray it? i seen a thread on here about putting used oil on it..any other ideas? any help on this would bve excelent..thanks[​IMG]

2. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Not sure exactly what satin look your going for but to get rid of the roughness, run a scotch bright pad over it. Wet sanding it would also do it but would end up dulling the finish unless you buffed it to bring back any sort of sheen. I'm not sure, I never buffed primer. Primer isn't meant to have any sort of satin look to it. If you're up for it, respray with a satin black.

3. seventeenseconds

seventeenseconds

looks primered to me. If you want satin, wetsand to 400 and spray a basecoat, no clear. "Trim Black" is about $50 a gallon, and will look better for alot longer than primer.

4. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Dont put any fucking used oil on it. Who ever made that statement should be fucked by a goat then shot! Oil on paint isnt right and if you ever decide to paint the thing you may play hell getting it clean enuff to do so.. Lemme ask you .. where the fuck did you hear that used oil shit ???
    Dave

5. suiside

suiside

ahh..i see..lol..i always had the impression that to acheive a satin look w/out the clear or shine...that only primer would be used and then somthin like oil applied...great thanks for the info

6. suiside

suiside

the oil thing was on a thread in here..lol..i may have read it wrong but thats wut i got out of it..lol

7. asher

asher

LOL i have heard the same thing only use WD40 on primer. Sure it will seal it from water but you will hate life and the car if you ever want to paint the car again. The only way to paint it after oil or WD40 is to strip the car down to metal and use lots of degreasing and oil remover.

8. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

No you read it right, some people on here ^^^^ just think they are the authority and don't allow others mistakes or opinions.

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

YOu prolly read it correctly...only numbskulls that NEVER want to paint their car in shiny paint would advise that...oil and paint do not mix...oil and primer do not mix...oil should only be used IN engines...

If you ask me, and you didn't, but I'm offering an opinion here, you shot the primer too thick...you should've thinnned it a bit first...primer should lay on like paint...no ruff spots, no dry spots and even over the whole car...

My suggestion, blok it back down, respray it...

R-

10. I saw that on here too,in the same thread where someone suggested spraying a body with "ARMOR ALL"to preserve "patina"!!!:eek: