Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Olds project, and steering wheel ID help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by batt69nova, Sep 13, 2010.

1. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

I never see much about the mid 50s Olds.

I have a '54 olds holiday 88 project. Needs a decent amount of work, but I love the lines of these cars so I'm happy to do it. Right now, I'm just looking at making it go down the road as a stocker-but am also toying with making it into a gasser (I see so few of this body that I'm reluctant to go gasser with it, although I think that would look pretty cool too). For now, I'm planning on spraying it with the copper metallic/maize cream color combo it had when it was built. Wheels/tires are totally up in the air-haven't even thought about that yet in fact.

Was wondering what fellow HAMBers think of the mid 50s olds, and in particular, since mine has only a dashboard (which is in pretty good shape) what's a good route to go for the interior? Anyone have a good recommendation for donor seats? I plan on ordering correct carpet and headliner...as for door panels, who knows-perhaps make some myself, as I am becoming aware of how few parts sources there are for these things.

Under the hood it's got a Hi Comp 394-which is currently seized. I've been treating it to a regular routine of soaking in diesel, and have seen a dramatic reduction of rust in the cylinders-I want to ressurect this 394 if at all possible! Been soaking the engine for 3 weeks now-but no movement yet...

Have not ID'd the rear end yet (as far as gear ratio), but it's the stock rear axle-in fact the whole chassis is complete, and stock. Only modification is the 394 sitting under the hood-and dual exhaust, which I believe wasn't stock.

I am very curious regarding the steering wheel-I remember seeing them all the time at the parts store, but with 3 holes, not 4. Anyone have any idea what it may be? I can take better pics if necessary.

Attached Files:

2. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

hey, thats not a bad start at all,thats in better shape then where i started on a 56 olds im building. fusick is who to call for new parts. desert valley auto parts has a bunch of 54-56 olds in there yard give them a buzz, they might have seats......................................john

3. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

Cool project, I can still remember riding in dad's 53 Olds when I was a wee tot.

The only 4 hole wheels I can remember were in Mustangs, but that doesn't look quite like the ones I remember. It's a really cool steering wheel anyway, if you want to get rid of it let me know, I'd love to put it in my truck

4. F&J

F&J

You might find info on those spokes on the "metalflake steering wheel" thread. Try searching those words.

5. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

Thanks all for the tips-the car is a pretty solid foundation. It does need rockers, front floor boards, and lower quater on the pass side ahead of the wheel opening.

I'll search for the "metalflake" thread.

Sorry Guitar_man, I kinda dig the wheel-It reminds me of the one in the TLB '55.