Register now to get rid of these ads!

my new roadster?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SUHRsc, May 25, 2006.

1. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

well thanks everyone...you guys are all putting a smile on my face showing so much interest in this thing....i really hated it for so long and spent ALOT of days drawing pictures trying to figure out where to cut it to fix things so i didnt look like a coupe with the roof cut off....

for the motor its just going to be a basically stock flathead V8...im stuck between a 59AB, 8BA or the 8RT out of my #44c car...but not a 4 banger as im probably going to put this for sale once i finish it
    which now all this is inspiring to think maybe all the effort will have been worth while. i would love to turn this car stuff into a real business ,SUHR Speed&Custom this is my test to see if i can drum up any interest and hopefully get my name out there a bit and help build some sort of a reputation...hopefully a good one...
    right now im at a stand still with the cars as im pretty much working out of a one car garage working on one side at a time and turning it around...the #44 is sitting under the deck with a tarp over it and as you can see in the background of some pics...all my parts are strewn about the yard. not exactly great working conditions but you have to make do with what you've got i guess....i think one of the keys to building a car in a tight space is rolling it outside almost every day, stand back and look at all angles. im not sure if everything is perfect on this car by any means but im happy enough with it and i think thats a key. i put most of the emphasis on a 20FT stance and whatnot...ive also tried to make it as period correct as possible...all straight head screws and whatnot but i havent been 100% perfect on this car, i have alot of box tubing bracing in it and the frame was boxed in when i got it (it was an old gasser with coil springs and whatnot) so i wasnt trying to build the do all end all period correct car...i mean after all its not a real roadster, no one woulda goan through this much effort on a coupe in the 40's when roadsters were more available and the rules probably wouldnt have allowed this to run in stock roadster class. but in todays standards i guess that doesnt matter and its a good starting point to use a coupe to try to get some proportional changes figured out rather then change a roadster which everyone already has an eye for...may just seem changed for the sake of change then even if it did work out better....

i want to really thank everyone for all the great comments its got me inspired to get back to work and finsih this thing up..i'll take more pictures along the way and post when i complete bigger steps.

oh the wheels are all 17" 33/34 wheels with 525-550's on the front and 600-650's on the back...not much difference but i dont really care for the big tire rake that much on a car thats trying to look sleek

thanks alot
    zach

Stogy likes this.
  2. lehr

lehr

Tits !

Stogy likes this.
  3. Mullda

Mullda

Fantastic work! Thanks for sharing it.

Stogy likes this.
  4. This car has to be seen in person to really appreciate the quality of the work.

Hey Zack, the price is going up by the minute hahaha.

Stogy likes this.
  5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

This car is a new classic of the tradtional movement for sure.

These pics are going into my photobucket account right alongside the original concept sketch.

-Dave

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  6. oaktree

oaktree

Hey!
    Damn,

Stogy likes this.
  7. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

Dude, that is a sweet looking car. What a breath of fresh air!!! I really like the aluminum work. Good job dude!!!
    Jimmy White

Stogy likes this.
  8. haring

haring

Zach,

I was at the Showdown and I spent a lot of time looking at, and made several trips over to this car.

I am always out at shows but haven't really connected faces to names yet. I'm sorry that I didn't introduce myself.

Perhaps this will put things into perspective regarding your hopes of turning this into a business ...

When I first saw the car up on the trailer, with your "SUHR" sign next to it, I immediately assumed that the car was built by a professional shop. The aesthetics and look are just perfect, and the build quality is top-notch. Because I didn't connect you with the name yet, I also assumed the builder was someone who had been doing this a long time. Perhaps it was even someone who normally restores rare handbuilt racecars. I was impressed, and there was no doubt in my mind the work was done by someone who had spent the better portion of a lifetime honing his eye and skills.

So if you are just getting started, who knows how much farther you could take this.

I have been collecting parts for about 7 years to build a late-40s style '32 fenderless highboy pickup truck. I'm just about to get started putting all the parts in one place and get started. Seeing your cars gives me inspiration to begin. I really dug your other roadster as well. It really has the look.

Again, I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself yet.

Stogy likes this.
  9. Hot Rod Heidi

Hot Rod Heidi

Of course I love the car...I see and hear about it daily. I'm very proud of you and appreciate all the nice comments everyone has given you. Everyones encouragement really pushes Zach and lets me know all his time, hard effort, and the nights I sit alone (j/k) are really worth it in the end. Congrats!!!

Stogy likes this.
  10. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thanks for supporting me heidi
    hopefully this all pays off in the end!
    and thanks for helping out at the showdown with everything and the stress of the few days before trying to get this car there in a presentable form

Stogy likes this.
  11. Hot Rod Heidi

Hot Rod Heidi

yeah yeah i'm the best gf ever! haha

Stogy likes this.
  12. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Here you are, Heidi, ridin' *shotgun* in Zach's driver roadster!! It was a pleasure to meet you, too, at the Showdown......and here's a few more pix of Zach's killer track roadster......

All good wishes,

Brucie

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

VERY NICE!!!! If your just getting started on this metal shaping deal I predict that we'll be hearing a lot from you in the future. If you could hook up with someone like Metalshapes for a season your talent would blossom. Nothing like being able to apprentice with a veteran. Even continuing the way you are is going to produce some excellent work.

Frank

Stogy likes this.

14. ........What a girl.....she's a keeper :) but I believe I told you that a while back in a pm after picking up one of those fine shirts of yours..........Oh ya, very kool ride my man!!!!!!

Stogy likes this.
  15. hemifarris

hemifarris

Great workmanship and style.........

Stogy likes this.
  16. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

well, the secret project is out!!! man, i knew it'd go over like stink......you do great work....

really sorry i didn't make it to the showdown to meet you......maybe next year...

i'm still gonna blow you off the track!

Stogy likes this.
  17. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Heidi.
    That's all he ever tells me as he is rushing out the door to take you out on a friday or saturday night-:D while he's logging off his AIM. I really believe that behind every great "thinker" is a great dame also,to be able to put up with us knuckle heads and our car antics:eek:.
    I think that you have a great guy there in Zach, but you definitely already know that ;). So continue to support him in his ongoing efforts to achieve the goals that sets out conquer.

Zach:
    Fricking Great Job! But you've heard this many times now through the entire build up;). Hurry up & get it done now these guys can see what you've got up your sleve;) :D :cool: .
    Congrats again pal!
    Kevin

Stogy likes this.
  18. retro54

retro54
    from PA

haha.. Im happy for ya zach... knew once people saw this thing, sparks woud fly... I remember just 2 years or so ago when ya got this car and started working on it... got frustrated... stoped working on it... hated it, and so on, then got #44 and started to speed ahead... actually, it's pretty cool that you only started seriously fooling around with this stuff about 2-3 years ago ehh?... anyways congrats... and you better come on over tomorrow night!

Stogy likes this.
  19. Looks like there's not much room left for an encore on the next build ;) .

You nailed it dead nuts right on first trip around :cool: :cool: .

Stogy likes this.
  20. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

I likes it!

Stogy likes this.
  21. cruzr

cruzr

you nailed the 'look" great job !~!

Stogy likes this.
  22. NorwegianV8

NorwegianV8
    from Sem City

Great Job.......near perfect

Stogy likes this.
  23. Ted H

Ted H

Zack,
    I remember when you 1st posted your ideas for this build.
    You pulled it off in great style!
    This car would have looked first notch at El Mirage in 1935!
    Ted H

Stogy likes this.
  24. retro54

retro54
    from PA

you know.. i think zach has been fooling us a bit! seems like I found a photo that proves with out a doubt that this car was around at least in the 1940's... or at least it looks like it should have been around then!

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  25. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Nice Photoshoppin'........great job!

Brucie

Stogy likes this.
  26. Man, what cool car! I mean, that thing is "Traditional" in the truest sense of the term.
    I love it.

Sam.

Stogy likes this.
  27. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thanks everyone for all the kind words
    hopefully i can finish this thing up soon
    zach

Stogy likes this.
  28. Skimmer

Skimmer

Now i like that...

Stogy likes this.
  29. Very nice indeed!

Stogy likes this.
  30. DRD57

DRD57

DAMN! I must have missed this one while was on vacation.

I'm impressed.

Stogy likes this.