Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new ride - a 58 Dodge Regent "Plodge"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tstclr, Aug 20, 2010.

1. tstclr

tstclr

I picked this up a few weeks back. It has so much going against it - it's a 4 door, and is painted one of Dodge's strangest colors - Shoreline Beige that you'd swear was pink. V8? Nope. Flatty 6. Stick? Nope, 2 speed "Powerflite" Yet this damn car has grown on me. Maybe because it's the epitome of what the average family likely had in the driveway back in 1958. Or it could be the oddness of it being a "Plodge" - the front clip is Dodge, the rest of the car is Plymouth. They only sold them here in Canada. Better yet, the "Big" flathead
    (251 c.i - the same motor used in Dodge trucks and Power Wagons) purrs like a kitten and while it's no V8, it has no problem cruising at 65mph. I'll pretty much leave it as it is other than dig up a factory Dodge truck split manifold/dual carb setup. Next I need to find a vintage 1950's camper to tow behind it. Can you say road trip? Now where the hell did Lassie run off to..
    Todd

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Squablow

Squablow

Looks really clean. I love Forward Look cars, and the Canadian ones are always interesting. I'd love a Regent, Kingsway or Mayfair if I ever found one.

The side trim looks like '57 Desoto stuff, or maybe '57 Plymouth "Silver Special". Don't know that I've seen that on a '58.

3. She's a real creampuff. Now drive the wheels off that bitch!

4. tstclr

tstclr

The p.o had skirts on her at some point but lost one of them. I can't decide if she looks better with our without them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What I think is cool is the Plymouth instrument cluster with "Dodge" stamped on it!:

[​IMG]

Power steering on a flathead!

Here's a cool shot of the Windsor plant where my car was built in 58:
    [​IMG]

5. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

6. studemisfit

studemisfit

Cars awesome! love the fact your just gong to do the split manifold and drive it.

7. Oh I remember this model! My first licensed Hot Rod. Mine was also a Big Canadian Six which i changed to a Canadian 313 (from a 1961 Dodge Seneca) with a 4 Barrel set up from a 56 Chrysler Windsor. Mine didnt have a "Ply" dash! It had a Canadian Dodge dash. I dont give a rats tail what dash they have in USA. I live here in the GWN and that is the way they came this side of The Bridge. (So does my 63 440 series Max Wedge car. BTW )
    Anyway here are some pics from back in the day. 1966/67
    Don

Attached Files:

8. I love that side trim.
    I would like to see the rear a tad lower if running skirts.
    Kyle

9. Ruiner

Ruiner

That car is bitchin! And super clean...not sure about the paint color, but being it's in fantastic shape it's best to just leave it alone and drive the wheels off of her...personally I think it looks great with or without skirts, and that gauge cluster is AMAZING...

10. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

Totally cool old ride. You almost never find one of those any more. Even in the South they rusted away in short order. I'm envious! Rusty.

11. tstclr

tstclr

Thanks for the kind words. I am amazed at the attention this car gets when we are out in it! Lot's of stories from the old timers.
    I agree the car needs to be lower if I'm running skirts (and maybe even if I don't) Twin antennas would be cool on the rear as well.

12. Scratchbuilt

Scratchbuilt

what a neat car it looks in great nick.

13. EDGEFIND

EDGEFIND

Sharp car. I will always remember having a set of '58 tail lights hanging on the basement wall while growing up. My dad promised my mom that they'd get one after he retired. Unfortunately, he passed before that. It will always be one fine car in my book. Enjoy that thing.

14. Great looking car, in a strange way. But get that plastic fuel filter away from the exhaust manifold !!

15. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Very cool, great looking car!:D

16. George

George

Get all the fuel stuff away fron the manfold!:eek: Great lookin car! Might consider joining www.forwardlook.net

17. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

keep it, love it, drive it, and LEAVE IT ALONE - it needs nothing but maintenance and the aforementioned safety items (fuel lines/filter near exhaust manifold).

Do NOT lower the rear end...that would look so silly...just enjoy it for what it is.

dj

18. Rumbles

Rumbles

Man that is a great looking car and it will definitely stand out from the common shit you see at cruise nights! Here is a pic of my dual carb set up and split manifold on a 1960 dodge 230 flatty.

Attached Files:

19. chryco

chryco
    from Winnipeg

Cool my Dad had a 57' , which is the car I had my first ride in !
    Best of luck with her !
    Chryco

Attached Files:

20. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I love it, she's beautiful, the pattern in the vinyl is rad, could you take a close up of it?

21. tstclr

tstclr

That filter looks closer to the manifold in the pic than it really is. I do have a metal one that I'll swap out asap. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Sometimes you don't see the forest for the trees!

22. tstclr

tstclr

Sure, here it is in all it's glory. :D
    It obviously isn't original. I suspect this was redone a long time ago. Even the sunvisors are covered in this material!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Original or not, it looks great with the car, I love that old stuff, I'm looking for some vinyl with the squggles embossed in it.