Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new ride - 53 Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TNHaney, May 19, 2009.

1. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

I say no flat colors of any kind,if your going to paint it anyway why not go gloss.It's the new flat black ya know:D

2. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

This is what the car could look like cleaned up and painted. Of course you'd want to paint it blue again so you wouldn't have to change the interior....

http://streetrodder.automotive.com/50622/0710sr-1953-plymouth-coupe/index.html
    http://images.google.com/imgres?img...uth+hot+rod&gbv=2&ndsp=18&hl=en&sa=N&start=18

Maybe something like the blue on this Mustang....
    http://images.google.com/imgres?img...=137&prev=/images?q=metallic+blue&gbv=2&hl=en

If you feel the urge to do some fittin' and fabricatin', graft an 8 3/4" Mopar rear under it to get it ready for more motor.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  3. missysdad1

missysdad1

X2 on this treatment. And pleeeeeeze, don't do the flat black/red wheels/wide whites. It's been done to death...

Just my $.02 :)

4. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

I had a 54 Savoy for my first car. I always thought the 53's were better done in the parking light design. Has a flow, where the 54 looked like it was an afterthought.

My 54 had a severe vapor-lock problem. I built a heat shield in metal shop to solve that. I remember being stuck on the side of the road, and I could hear the fuel boiling in the carb. Whoa...

The Savoy had the overdrive, and that was a pretty cool device. I still have fond memories of that car, but a 57 Desoto was calling my name so I traded it in. Had to have a Hemi, ha.

The Savoy was chocolate brown on top and tan on the bottom. Kind of funky colors...

5. 50dodgeboy

50dodgeboy
    from California

x2!!

6. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

another muscle car guy "muscling" in on the rat rod trend.

7. 73RR

73RR

Isn't that a bad word...?...:D

8. TNHaney

TNHaney

I appreciate all the replies to this thread and everyone's oppinion. Has me thinking that maybe I might need to look at other options.... I will have to say, I have always liked the flat black look on these cars. Not trying to imitate, copy, "MUSCLE IN", or jump in the IN THING or some kind of special club at all. Just always liked old cars and always liked the vintage look with patina. Around here there are not that many flat painted cars.... a few true rat rods and a lot of overdone cars (in my opinion), but not what I am talking about here.....

I have been doing a lot of reading and looking on this site and there are some really nice cars here. No matter what direction I take on my car, I am glad that this site is here and that anyone can join it......

9. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

I looked for it but can't find it now, but there was a 56 chevy pickup (maybe 55) that had a flat greenish color (light) that also had perl in it. Holy cow! That thing had me at the paint store to buy some sandpaper, ha. Lots of work before I get all the turquoise off the truck yet...

So anyway, flat with pearl baby!

10. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

ITS YOUR CAR< BUILD IT FOR YOU

Great find, I have a 54 plymouth that I bought my wife but yours is in way better shape. My engine and suspension is shot so we found a 318 with auto out of a 66 belvedere we are going to put in it and picked up a s10 chassis in great shape for a 100 dollars. Our goal with hers is that it is reliable for her and the baby and SAFE.

Keep us posted, I cant wait to see what you do

11. vertible59

vertible59

Man that unit looks good the color it is. Yes, speed goodies, duals with glasspacks, skirts, flipper hubcaps and some other period goodies. Instant mild kustom cruiser with descent paint and upholstery. Sounds like a dream come true to me. By the way, there were some skirts on e-bay that looked like they were for a car like yours. The seller didn't know what they fit, but he did provide measurements. That was last week...don't know if they are still listed though. They were going CHEAP!

12. hillbillyb

hillbillyb

Chop it , bag it , paint it , don't chop it, don't bag it, don't paint it. It's all about yer artistic expression go where you want with it. Killer choice in cars and a great start to a cool rod. Build yer vision. Flathead 6's run ferever if taken care of but if you get tired of driven round like grandpa check out shadowmtkustomz tech on the sbm swap. Cool info. Here is my 51 and my bro's 49 almost done. Just have fun.

Attached Files:

13. BOHICA

BOHICA

It's your car, of course, but flat black is waaaay overdone. How about something like this suede blue instead?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my favorite
    [​IMG]

14. flatford39

flatford39

Have some real fond memories of going to junk yards with my dad in the late 50's in is Cranbrook wagon. We went every where in that thing.