Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new Rajo conversion...oh and '53 Chevy!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChevyGirlRox, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Yes,definatley tail dragger!

2. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Of course you'll have to find another person to drive the bus up! Making it a tail dragger would be very cool and pretty easy to do on the old chevy's. hell popping out the front springs and cutting off 1.5 coils isn't hard either. Pretty quickly get her down a bit. :cool:

3. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I've got a perfect back window for you....If your looking to remove yours .Love the car.P.M. if interested in the rear window

4. nexxussian

nexxussian

I have to agree with The37Kid, it is in MUCH better shape than I expected. I would drive it for a while before I started 'customising' it, but then that's me.

Congrats on the score, unbelievebly rare mill you have there. Could you post some more detailed photos of the linkage for the carbs?

5. clean!, nice score definately drop that sucker to mother earth, tastefully.

6. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Yes, before you even look under the hood you know there is something up with it. The power is amazing! The guy I bought it from said it has a stock cam but I really don't believe that, it runs too good. I'm really surprised at how well it starts cold. There is some type of starting issue though I need to chase down before I get stranded. Either the starter needs rebuilt or there is a cable/wire loose.

I agree with some that I should leave it alone but there are things about it that just make me a little nuts: the yellow traction bars, the Weld wheels, the chrome battery box, the flower etched glass so I will be changing them.

I think first I will swap out the wheels and tires, take the traction bars off then see what it looks like and go from there.

Anyone know how to un-etch glass?

A spare back window came with it but I would be interested in new vent windows and possibly a new windshield.

I am kind of leaning towards a tail dragger because there are none around here. When I went to Paso this past spring they fascinated me the most just because I had never seen anything like them in person before. Don't worry, I don't plan to literally drag it on the ground like some of them did! Should I leave the front high like it is or put it back to stock height to acheive good taildragger proportions?

7. Terry

Terry

Congrats on what looks like a very nice car. I'm happy for you!!

I've had 3 over the years, a cruizer, a gasser, and now .... I don't really know what to call it sense I was told it can't be a Hot Rod if it has fenders! LOL

You'll find out as time goes by, they are solid good running, nice handleing cars. The kind of car that just seems to go no matter what ... no what I mean?

Do with it what you want, and what makes it yours, and have fun! Hope some day we can park side by side and swap Rock Star stories.

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

So it's starting to sound like your keeping it??:eek:

9. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I'll make it cool enough that someone else HAS to have it.:D
    But I can't say that I will part with that engine anytime soon.;) :D

10. eliguzman

eliguzman

you are one lucky girl...this car is in my dreams/nightmares!!!

11. Ole don

Ole don

Way cool car, drop it and drive it. Make us old guys weep. If that sound could be bottled and sold, you would be set for life.

12. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I also have a set of vent window's p.m. if interested....

13. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

It does have a sound of its own. I can't help but smile when I even think about it! I am going to try and make a youtube for you guys to hear her in action.

My nephew (who is 2.9years old) hadn't seen the car until Sunday night when I pulled in from the weekly cruise night. He of course came barreling out of the house when he heard me pull in the drive.
    Fast forward to last night- he is playing with his dump trucks and making a new noise, a Six cylinder with splits cracking noise, I loved it!:D

14. Scotch

Scotch

Skirt it, slam it, and sand the silliness off it. Wide whites and sombreros would be awesome. You already know what it needs!

If you could touch up that old lacquer, I'd encourage you to shave the emblems and door handles too. But, I've never heard of anyone being able to touch up lacquer effectively.

And I have to agree with Denise...the "B"'s are screwy! LOL!

No cool stickers I've ever seen could cover the etching on the windows. But, they do make the car look girly, and you ARE a girl...!

Nice score! Dress her up right, and take her out!

~Scotch~

15. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Depending on how deep the etching is, you may be able to get it polished out.

16. Ah crap. You see, now i HAVE to marry you!

17. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Super nice score! Can't wait to see you guys at Winks.

18. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

What do you polish it with? I would like to try to get it off before I buy any glass or try to etch over what is there.

19. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

don't even try to polish that out....it's not going to work, if you catch your finger nail as you run it across the etched area, it's to deep....your only option is to replace the glass....or like you mentioned etch over it....and yes tail dragger would complement that 6 banger very well......

20. nexxussian

nexxussian

I remeber a kit to polish glass in JC Whitney, but it's been several years ago. I'm sure someone knows of a better source. You would probably be better off if you could find someone to sell the etched stuff to.

21. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Cerium oxide is what is normally used to polish glass,but,as stated,if you can catch a nail on it,it ain't gonna' polish out.

22. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

According to my internet research that stuff is not coming off. I have a design in mind I will probably tape out this weekend to see how it would cover for the interim until I get new glass.

23. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

what about the stuff people use to fix chips in glass?
    could you fill it with that?

24. MilesM

MilesM

Nads has the right idea.

25. leadsled01

leadsled01

You lucky girl!!!

26. forty3

forty3

my .02 only...but dont change her stance... it's fucking badass.

kurt

27. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

Nice ride Chevygirl - of course I am a little bit prejudiced in favor of black chevy's :D.

Being an oldtimer I have known about Rajo conversions since I was a teen but I always believed they were strictly made for Fords. Who knew? It's a rare piece you have there.

28. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

How did you get yours so low? I really don't want to bag or c-notch her. I really want to make her a taildragger!:D

29. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Amazing car! What a lucky find... The trim, the paint, the striping - all too damn cool.

I'd vote for a simple lowering job, not a taildragger stance. Maybe I just see too many here in So. Cal.

30. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

I'd like to think that car is a keeper.
    As for the etched glass,how about modifying the etching into flames?
    Just a thought.