Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My New Project: 1956 Cadillac Sedan Deville Resurrection Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chstitans42, Sep 26, 2013.

1. chstitans42

chstitans42

PM sent

2. chstitans42

chstitans42

3. chstitans42

chstitans42

4. chstitans42

chstitans42

5. chstitans42

chstitans42

6. chstitans42

chstitans42

7. chstitans42

chstitans42

8. chstitans42

chstitans42

9. chstitans42

chstitans42

How does the inside of the motor look?

10. chstitans42

chstitans42

11. blue68deville

blue68deville

From what I can see on my cell phone screen, I'd say it looks ok. Normal wear for something with some miles on it. Considering what a proper rebuild costs for those caddy motors I'd prob leave the bottom end alone unless you're ready to fork out a lot of $$
    Can't really see the cam well, have to look at the nose of the lobes (and lifter bottoms) for any sign of pitting. If in doubt have an experienced eye take a look. The cam is something I wouldn't reuse if it shows any pitting, having a lobe go flat is no bueno.

12. blue68deville

blue68deville

Got the video to load finally, yup that cam will need to be replaced

13. chstitans42

chstitans42

Yeah you can feel with your fingers how some of the lobes are not right. they have flat spots on a few. I have sourced a new cam, they run about $250. As for a bottom end rebuild, I hope I can reuse he pistons and the connecting rods, get the crank turned and then just have to replace piston rings, main bearings and rod bearings. We will see what happens next, I am calling around to see how much it will cost to get the block all cleaned out. I am hoping I can get the cylinder walls just honed and not bored out so the stock stuff will work.

14. Check the bores for out-of-round and taper. If you're in specs you could probably get by with using a glaze breaker (dingle ball) hone. If you do you'll need new rings. Does a plain iron ring sound like the right kind to use? Years ago there used to be high-tension ring sets for these kinds of rebuilds.

Now about those pistons.... :confused: What's with the top groove with no ring in it? Were these put in to act as a carbon trap? If so they seem to be working! And are those one piece oil rings? The oil scraper rails seem to have a fairly wide face compared to newer designs. :confused:

15. chstitans42

chstitans42

Honestly I have no idea. I was initially thinking the top groove should have a ring, but none of them have it, so now I think it is just how they designed the piston.

16. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

Polish the crank, hone the cylinders, new cast rings, new bearings, valve job - ready to go!

17. chstitans42

chstitans42

As of right now, that is the plan!

18. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

looks great, I agree with what the others have said, hone, rings, bearings, new cam and lifters, call it done.

19. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Cool project! Good luck with the motor!

20. chstitans42

chstitans42

Thanks guys! I am calling another machine shop tomorrow because the original one wont do the kind of build I can afford.

21. Try Republic Custom engine in Garland. The owner is a HAMBer.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. Great Thread and I totally agree with a "light" rebuild. Internals of this engine look fantastic, despite all the crappy oil used back then. So glad we were able to get Nads' caddy fired up, without too much drama.
    Parts of this thread remind me of the movie Christine. Car is in amazing condition. Thanks for sharing all the pictures and video.:cool:

23. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Great build thread awesome job

24. chstitans42

chstitans42

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I knew this car was a challenge when I bought it. It will go slow I am sure but I will drive this car one day.

25. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Keep that mindset, Never let go of trying.
    These battle tanks are a blast to drive, pure fun.

26. chstitans42

chstitans42

I sure hope so. I have never driven one but I hope they drive as good as they look!

Update: I dropped off the engine at the rebuilders today. The slated day for the motor to be done is Jan 1st so we will see how it all goes!

27. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I don't think you'll regret all the work you're putting into the Cadillac when it comes time to drive you'll be in caddy heaven :)

28. chstitans42

chstitans42

I hope so. Right now cost of parts is kinda getting crazy, but I am thinking that is the initiation into the Cadillac Club! And I thought the "Corvette Tax" was stiff!

29. chstitans42

chstitans42

Small update:
    Got the roof rail weather stripping ordered and four brand new floor pans ordered as well. I will show in the next video why the floors of this car are so rusty, yet the body, trunk and frame are in great condition. The answer is old weather stripping, that had huge holes and gaps in it. Just so you know, weather stripping for this car is crazy expensive, so it better be good quality! More updates soon!

30. Any word from the engine rebuilder yet? I'm curious if they want to replace everything with new parts or what they might have found that they consider to still be serviceable.