Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. fitzee

fitzee

I think that the rear section should of been lower behind the wheel anyway. Seems ever one i look at had a mild up hill flow to the lower side of the car. I found some pictures,Hare to find Buicks but olds has the same quarter lines and you can get the idea from them. I think a Cruiser skirt would save you a lot of work. Can you take a full side shot of the quarter and post it. You have some pics and they are chopped off. Would like to photo shop a set of skirts on the car.

Attached Files:

2. Yeah Fitzee I will try and get a full shot in the next day or two , but will try to fit in a few minutes for a side profile shot . Probably have to roll it outside . Andy.. PS Those are very nice examples of what could be . HMMMM !

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  3. koolkemp

koolkemp

If you could find a pair of 52-54 Ford quarters and use the "buldge " to work in the skirts I think it would look pretty cool...something I have wanted to try for a long time...sorry I dont know how to photoshop :eek:

4. Thats another idea kemp . I will keep this one on the backburner .

5. fitzee

fitzee

Because early stuff is hard to find I think a roof section from a late model van or from a roll on a body line on a mid 90`s dodge pickup hood or fenders. Just look at a Ford ranger fender the top rolls inward and the line flows downward to the front. There is a lot of compound curves on a number of newer cars that can be used.

6. I have the bodypanels of of the 89 caprice that will be released from the snows clutches in another day or two . There is lots of sheetmetal with curves and the likes on them . Quarter skins with compound curves . Roof panel and such . Just have to wait for the damn snow. I may be able to use the left and right sides of the donor 51 Chev coupe roof I have as well . Lots to look at and check out for sure

7. Was able to take a few hours tonight and worked on the quarterpanel. I used some of the quarterpanel from the donor Caprice . Go figure I had to grind 3/8 of an inch of fill out of it as well . Have a look . Getting closer to the building of the body swell and wheel opening .

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

Looking great Andy! I have had that happen too using a piece of some donor car :p noting like having mud on your patch panel before you weld em in !

9. Made up a wheelhouse outer panel . Took some carboard . Made a template from what was left of the other side . Cut it out and started forming . Sandbag and blocking hammer this is the result . I made the profile for the wheelwell opening with a chisel on the backside . This also straightens out the panel as well . I changed the sweep of the profile . It runs at more of an angle to the front of the rear opening . Pleased with the way it turned out . :D later , Andy... PS thoses of you that are following along you will see my direction has changed a little . Cruiser skirt issue has gone to the wayside ( For now anyways )

10. sorry to interrupt or if anyone's already asked this, but, i gotta know Andy, how do you llike the track width of the caprice frame under the Buick body? This is my biggest concern. I'm affraid, since the Caprice track width is another 2 inches wider, that it may screw up my turning radius on my 56 buick. How much room do you have from the side wall of your tire to the inside of the front fenders on each side?

Thanks,
    Rocco

Now back to your regular programing

11. Funny you should ask that . The tire clearence is a very big issue . There is none!!! I will have to undo the rear shock and let the rear diff hang to get the tire out . I dont care for this . My alternative is a diff swap . Put a Nova differential or narrow the big old Caprice diff . I dont know . But I will have to figure something out . As for the front I dont see any issues at this point in time, anyway .

12. A little more done filled the gas door in and put on a body reveal line. Fit a wheelwell rear piece . Now for lots of weldind and grinding . You cant tell in the picture but I have major warpage issues around the gas door opening . There are multiple panel in this one area and that causes a major issue . They all have to be welded and they all need to be ground. This is tedious stuff . :confused:

13. koolkemp

koolkemp

Andy try looking for a G-body diff they have the same basic 4 link design and narrower, might not be too difficult to transplant ? I will be taking a g body apart in the near future and can measure up stuff if you want.

14. koolkemp

koolkemp

I buy those 19.99 grinders from Crappy Tire when they are on sale real light and easy on the hands when ya got alot of time with the flap wheel, and hey they are crazy enough to warranty them for 3 yrs ! Nice job on the wheel lip ...wont be long till you have to start on the other side :D

15. Thanks for the info Steve , The G - body diff may be the way to go .If you dont mind by all means measure up and let me know . On the other post thats what I use as a grinder . This one I have had 2 years and better, still going strong . As far as the other side I will get there working my way around from the front and ending on that rear quarter. Actually after the drive side quarter gets fixed up I will start the trunk floor .

16. koolkemp

koolkemp

When you see me posting on the 47 thread about stripping the lemans for motor trans etc remind me in case I forget :rolleyes: lol!

17. Will do steve , Thanks

18. Just a couple of pics for now . The quarter is starting to get there .

Attached Files:

19. cakes

cakes

your metal work is far better than mine, keep it up!! these are great looking cars

20. Racrdad

Racrdad

I really like the job you are doing on the quarters. Way to go!

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

Its looking great Andy! Go back and look at a pic of that quarter panel before you started on it.....now give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done !!

22. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Great job! Keep it up

23. Thanks boys for your comments . I just wish that I had the money steve, for those quarters that you showed me last week . Truth be known the rear quarters will be full of fill but the rest of the car is remarkably straight and will not need any fill , maybe just a skimcoat here and there . I am in a dilema though I cant get the rear tires off the car now ( no clearence to quarterpanel ) so I cant finish the inner wheelwell til I get that resolved . Always something !! I knew this day would come anyways. Now its time to figure to bag the rear or narrow the rear or find some old rims (15") that are narrow and run the old style WW on bias . Lots to think about . Andy..

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  24. i'd personally go with the stock width rim, and run a 7.10-15 bias WW on the back. just my .02

25. A little more progress today . The quarter is comimg along , still a lot of blocking though . Have the roughed out hole in the rear quarter for the 49 ford tailights ( Thanks Rob ) Stuck the pass fender and hood on just for some looks . I need some motivation sometimes . Not to many pictures to show as I have been working mostly on the rear quarter sanding . We all know thats about as much fun as watching paint dry . Later , Andy...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  26. fitzee

fitzee

Now that looks good. That car has come a long way. keep it going.

27. Thanks Fitzee . I wish I had more time than once a week though . Another few weeks and it will be on the backburner for the summer. Lots of irons in the fire this summer once again .

28. fitzee

fitzee

Your not alone with that.I find I`m too busy at the shop to work on my own.Guess this is all a part of hot rodding.

29. koolkemp

koolkemp

Lol, too true eh ! I spent every spare minute on the coupe last summer....now I have twice as much crap to do this summer ! Thats another reason I am doing the trade for that kustom Chevy, I wont have to bust my ass to get the Ford on the road this summer, shooting for next spring instead . Oh by the way its looking great Andy :D !

30. rat seeker

rat seeker