Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Hey screamin J When those floorpans come in you know what you gotta do eh! Get at it man times a wastin !!

Csimonds steal away my friend . Anything to help a fellow hamber out . You have a thread started yet ?

Ratt 7 Thanks for your words . Its all good !!

TomT Thats what were all here for Tom to push eachother along .
    Later Boys !!!:D

2. nali

nali

I don t know if Granby is worth for someone coming from NB . Last year there was about 3000 cars IIRC . And a quite big swap meet .
    It s usually at the end of July .
    My 38 had a 248 , in really bad shape . I first wanted to use a 350 Olds ( I had the whole car for 80 $ .... ) , but I use the Olds as a driver now , and found a 1950 263 in really good shape . So it will be a 100 hp hot rod :p
    I will begin next summer , it s cold outside and there s a Rambler in the garage ...
    You can see pictures here :
    http://aamq.forumactif.net/t968-buick-38
    I hope you understand french :p
    Phil.

3. Sorry Phil I dont understand but lots to look at . That 50 on the dyno sounded strong until it chucked the rod . They didnt sound to upset over it . !!!

4. nali

nali

This 50 run at Bonneville . I don t remember how much , but it s fast :)

5. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

i feel you pain on loosing your mojo for woring on your project its hard for me to go work on the 49 sedanette when there is 4 feet of snow in the yard and the shop is frozen solid its been idle here all winter no motivation in the cold just starting to get the bug now its suposed to go above zero this weekend hope things are getting better for you soon

Paul in Ontario 1949 buick roadmaster sedanette

6. Thanks jonny actually I am off to the garage in about a half an hour . Its 7:15 as I write this and this is my one day a week that I told the wife I own . She says get the work done in the basement and you can spend all the time you want out there . I still need this one day though to unwind . Later , Andy...

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

Its a great little show, I used to go down when I lived in Ottawa, some unique cars and the swap meet was pretty cool too, actually thats where I bought the 59 Chevy dash thats in my 47, for $20.:D

8. Another saturday of work . Again the first 3 hours involved the raising once again of the body . It was still to low . I could not remove the rear tires even jacking the frame and letting the differential hang. So work done but nothing to show . Oh well progress is progress.

9. Text to follow

Attached Files:

10. The picture of the trunk dosent look so bad at a glance but trust me its a lot of work ahead of me . 1st repair is of the trunk support area to wheelwell . That piece is recessed to accept the trunk support . # 3 Its a poor picture but it shows the poor condition of the trunkpan outriggers . #4 is the repair process of said part . Next is the hammered out panel to repair the floor as well as the side of the floorpan. Starting to weld it in . Its tough to do as when you dont know what the area is supposed to look like !!! Andy...

11. nali

nali

A lot of job for a single day !
    Maybe you should ask on teambuick.net .
    I m quite sure someone has a 51 and will send pictures of the stock trunk , if needed .

12. I will check that out right now nali thanks a lot . Andy...

13. fatstax

fatstax
    from cobourg

email me if you like, i built a 51 buick last summer, i had a bit more than u to start with but i can help you out if you want.

Attached Files:

14. csimonds

csimonds

Csimonds steal away my friend . Anything to help a fellow hamber out . You have a thread started yet ?

Yes sir I do, you will see there is not much going on now, but I am working on some door panels as we speak, just ran to the computer to peek at a door panel tech. This winter here in CT has been one for the record books and as you can see from my build, the portable garage canopy blew off and I haven't been able to get it back on. Soon though it has been starting to warm up latelly so some of the ice is going away.
    Chuck

15. I am challenged when it comes to this stuff . How do I find threads that have been started by other people ?? When I click on a users name in my thread it defaults to view public profile ,send an e-mail , send a well you get my point . Someone set me right please . Thanks

16. When you click on the users name and the profile comes up, look to the right and you will see - show all statistics- click on that and it will show all posts and threads started by that person. Hope this helps.

17. padorey

padorey

have not been on this thread for a week or longer. But you are doing agreat job. Sound like you have a lot of support from BrerHair and KoolKemp. I wish the H.A.M.B. was around when I started my Buick 25 years ago.You guys keep up the good work

18. Thanks Padorey Keep comin back every so often as you have I will have more thats for sure . Andy

19. Click on there user name, then click view public profile, then click statistics and then click find all threads started by their user name

20. Went out to get the pics today, but the car is too low to the ground to get good pics. Should be able to get the car in the garage tomorrow and on the lift where I can get pics. Sorry.

21. Very cool! Looks like you have as much rust as motivation! It's coming along nicely!

22. You have me beat nitrohonkey. Talk about determination, you have tons . Thats for damn sure . Whew!!! Man what a project . Stay at it .

23. Well I am pleased with todays progress . The last few saturdays have been, well to put it bluntly f*#ked up days , 8 hrs. and not much for progress . Thats in the past . So moving on I took the front rad support off so I could mock up the front fender to see if the wheelbase is correct.
    I noticed the WB was off and had to shift the body once again front to rear to get it to come into specs. # 4 pic Starting to get a feel for the look but must admit it ,it dosent look like much with no rockers or quaters on . Those will come . Maybe rockers next weekend ??? #5 Set the side width . Thanks Special Sam for all your help in the pictures and measurements # 6 is the bracing that was needed to keep the body in place front to rear . Should have thought of that earlier :eek:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  24. A few more from today .Made up and installed the inner rockerpanel . It is a piece of 1/8 x 4 in plate with a 1 in x 1/8 plate as a floor return and this is all welded into the wheelwell and along the new panel made a few weeks ago . That represents the floor height. So when I am done the body will have a 3 in channel over the frame (Thats the plan at this point anyway ) # 10 Is what was left of the B pillar at the bottom rocker return 1/2 hour of shaping and it was ready to be put in place for the next 50 years . The final picture is just another side shot . Its hard to tell but the rake seems to be good at this point anyways . Thats it for now . Later !!!!

Attached Files:

25. robleticia

robleticia

looking good bro!

26. koolkemp

koolkemp

It wont be long and the body will have less rust than the "new" frame does keep it up !

27. I hear ya on that Kemp . Getting the body back together is only half the battle . Once its all together then the sandblasting and cleaning comes . That to me is the most boring part of the build . Fabrication is the good stuff !!! Later , Andy...

28. Thaks Rob !! You stalled on your project ???

29. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

You've done a lot progress with your project,i wish i had too...
    Keep it up!

30. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ditto! Damn fine work, Andy.