Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Thats very interesting anythinggm . I took the liberty of keeping some of your photos for future reference on my project . Do you have anymore ? Maybe I will hit you up for some info down the road , if thats OK with you !!!
    Andy

2. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

unfortunately I had to abandon this project before i finished it in favor of my current 52 Buick (in my avatar pic), So I never finished the car. It did go to a new owner who has picked up from where I left off. i would be happy to try and answer any questions you might have down the road. BTW nice job so far on yours!!! Lot of work, but very rewarding..

3. At it again today . I had to cut out the remanants of the rear floor . I seperated the complete trunk from the wheelwells. I had to find centerline of the frame and of the body as well . Leveled the frame and made more measurments . I determined that 5 Inches out of the front bodymount would suffice but looking at it now I think that I will be putting a couple inches back in . I had to hang a front fender to get the wheelwell openings close enough . I can tweak them if need be . Remember I have to make my own rear quaters and I can adjust them as I need them . An inch front or back wont be hard to makeup . I ll post more in a few minutes . Stay tuned LOL!!

Attached Files:

4. So heres a few more pics. Whats left of the rear floorpan . Whew ! this thing was rusty . It only has to get better from here on in . One picture shows one of the legs that is supporting the body at the 5 inch mark . As I said I am going to have to add at least 2 inches to the height . Have a look :rolleyes: Hows that for centered and leveled ? Do you think that even todays cars are this close ??? I wonder !! Later , Andy...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good. Are those bags of salt in the garage?

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

Probably dirt...too thin and flat to be bags of salt...ask me how I know lol :rolleyes:

7. dvs

dvs

I'm diggin' this build thread. Thanks for posting. Subscribed.

8. Anything GM You probably did not like to see your project leave but I see in your avatar you have another Buick , Looks very nice . Any pictures ?
    Brerhair , Kool Kemp was right , bags of topsoil but while they are in the garage I am going to use them to replicate a full tank of fuel ( 130 lbs. ) and floor panel weight. I would hate to set up everything , put all the floors back in and it then sit to low , that would surely piss me off as it would anybody right ? Thanks DVS things will be moving right along for the next week or two and then I am told by the wife get to the basement you troll and finish that room you started !! Damn, LOL ! Posts wont be as often unless building a bedroom in a basement is Hamb friendly LOL !!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  9. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

Do more work.. these threads are crack too me and I need my fix!

10. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Here are some pics of my car you requested. Get that bathroom done quickly, we all want to see this one get done and roll'n pavement again.

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll226/anythinggm/My 52 Buick/

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll226/anythinggm/Engine detail and dual carbs/

11. Anything GM thanks for the pics. Your car looks great . Is it bagged or did you use dropped uprights out front and lowering blocks out back ? My engine and transmission is long gone . Would be kind of neat to have had the old 8 in it . Probably not much power though I suppose !!! Thanks again for the pics. Andy..

12. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Yes it is bagged on all four corners, with dropped uprights up front.

13. Update for today, I moved about 200 lbs of bagged soil to replicate weight back on the suspension . The suspension squated about 1 5/8 " in the rear . Better to do this now than later . Next pic is the amount I could set the engine back . I think I can gain the 5.5" back in the driveline . This will save $300.00 to have a driveshaft made .:) Its all about getting things done for as little $$$ as possible . 3rd pic is the increase of 2in" in the body stanchions . The body was channeled to much and by the time the front fenders would have went on the tops would only be 24 inches off the ground . To low !! It would not steer without hitting the fenders .
    I shoved the trunklid back on and am in the process of starting to tie the rear of the car back together . I am going to tack the rear tailpan to the trunklid (with washers in between for gap) and then crawl underneath the car and weld some bracing from underneath that will hold the quaterpanels in the correct positon for the proper gaps . Especially in the lower corners of the trunklid. The final 2 pics are of whats left of the trunk floor to frame brace . Rust Rust Rust !!!

14. Oops heres the pictures

Attached Files:

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad somebody's getting stuff done. Good show.

16. Small progress .First found the centerline of the trunk . Started to tie the back of the car together. I took some 1/8 flatbar and tacked it to the bottom edge of the trunklid and then tacked the rear tailpan to the flatbar . This will give me a 1/8 gap at the bottom edge of the trunklid . When the new trunkseal goes on it will widen I am sure by another 1/8 at least . Should be just about right . Made a rough pattern and then clamped in place . Have to go now we just got 8" of fresh snow to clear from the yard . Damn :mad: !!!

Attached Files:

17. Just a little update . Got out in the garage at 7:00 AM this morning . 5 hours later and this is the end result . This stuff takes time to get it right . A friend of mines father told me some time ago and I quote ( You fellas spend to much time trying to get all the gaps consistent . These cars weren't put together with that kind of precision ) After countless old car rebuilds I know what he means. Lots of work but well worth it in the end .1st picture is the patch installed from yesterday 2 & 3rd, the new tailpan section The last shows the driver side that is just as bad as the passenger side was . Each day a little progress and before you know it one of the many projects on this car done !!!

Attached Files:

18. LincolnLars

LincolnLars
    from Sweden

Hey! That is a helluva job you are doing there!! I know because I have a project just as bad as your Buick in my garage.Funny thing I have done it almost exactly the same way as you,hense that I also used the floor from the donor car(78 Cutlass) as well as the frame. 1955 Dodge Kingsway(Yes sold new here in Sweden same body as Coronet),ended up in a salvage yard in 1960 because it was already to rusty.. I belive you get the picture how bad it was when I got it home in year 2002.. actually there was not a single trace of rockers and floor braces,body had sunk over the frame etcetc. built new rockers and channeled the body about 5 in over the extended olds chassi,cut out a 2 in section at middle height of the body and finally a 4 in chop on the roof. This was eight years ago-now,finding your thread here really made me consider to go on with it....time will tell! Keep up the good work!!

19. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice, Andy. I vote you keep the trunk Buick 8 bling, love that old car badging. Everyone wants to shave it because that's what the customizers did back in the day, but I just love it. My .02.

20. 46binder

46binder
    from Kenosha,Wi

Nice job, looks like a lot of patch work to do!

21. fbama73

fbama73

Make it .04- I agree with him. Can't lose ALL of the chromage!

22. Lincoln Yes man by all means get back at it . Nobody else is gonna do it for you thats for sure . Get off this computer and get out in the garage man . Yes you sound like you know my woes but this is what we do dont we . At least she knows were I am .LOL!!
    Brerhair and Fbama . The badging I am sorry but at this point I think will get the cut . Unlike you fine fellos I am not a big fan . If yas want it I will give it to ya LOL!!!
    Actually I need to keep it as it is my lift point for the trunk . Not in great shape though . Damn Potmetal !!
    46 Binder . Patches yup lots of patches !!!!

23. More updates . Worked some more on the rear tailpan . It's tied from side to side now and braced somewhat . The repair panel on the drive side was in two pieces . Easier that way . Lots of welding and grinding to do yet though . The repair in the trunk channel was not to bad . Only about 15 mins to fix that . Last picture is of the rear with the trunk down and all the new metal . I know you all know what this feels like . The buick is on the road to recovery . :)

Attached Files:

24. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good Andy!!

25. Thanks Brerhair / Movin along on the build . When I picked up the roof in the summer of the 51 Chev I took the quaters as well . Glad I did . i cut them in half turned the upside down and what you see is the result . I have new rear quater corners . I will cut out the hole for the bumper bracket at a later date . Mocked up the bumper as well to see where we stand adn I realized that the bumper is badly bent on the Passenger side. I will have to deal with that later . Progressing along nicely . Comin to an end though because I have to get on that room that I mentioned earlier so the posts will be not so frequent. Later !!!

Attached Files:

26. Had to cut out the quaterpanel to get to the wheelhouse . Where to start ? Gotta think this one through. Wish I had some pictures of inside the wheel well !!! I think I have a few from the web of the trunk :rolleyes: . Wish me luck on this because after this I have to do it alll over again on the passenger side .....

Attached Files:

27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nice project you have there,you have done good work.
    So keep it coming!

28. slingshot

slingshot

Beautiful Hardtop, It remindsa me of a cover car back when. Custom Cars annual (?) maybe.

29. robleticia

robleticia

Holy crap! I will never bitch abot rust again, between you and Brerhair, sheeeesh! Stay after it man!