Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. More progress on the Buick today . I started on the B pillar right side . Pissed around fitting the post till it was a match with the other side . I am off 1 degree in regaurds to the lean inward of the pillars . Not noticible at all . This side went together easier and straighter than the left side . Pic 6 is the start of the C pillar disassembly . I sliced the skin off of the C pillar so I could get to the inner structure . Andy..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  2. More of the C pillar . Cut out the rear structure . Mock up of the C pillar curve . I didn't have to slice the panel at all for the curved part like so many chops I've seen . Works for me . I had to slice through the skin at the curve close to where the window rolls up into the panel . There will be a picture coming with visegrips squeezing the two panels back together . I will weld a panel on the inside off the C panel that will act as a transition plate from one half of the C panel to the other for strength . It should strengthen it enough .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  3. farmer12

farmer12

Great metal work! Love how this car is coming along, awesome!

4. More of the job and a few from the end of a productive day . A couple more weekends and the pillars and doortops should be all in . Then it will be onto the back glass and filler panels . Maybe sooner , who knows . I like the flow so far in the roofline . No hump yet anyways ...

Attached Files:

5. Thanks farmer . I will have to check out your thread . I haven't been on the hamb for a bit . Andy..

6. Just a couple more to complete my progress shots for the day . Andy..

Attached Files:

7. ryanscustom

ryanscustom
    from Jax, FL

Looks great - impressive!

8. Thanks for that . All positive comments are motivators thats for sure . Andy..

9. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the flow too, nice chop. Good work brother!

10. Thanks Brerhair . I see that you made some progress as well . Ordering up stuff left right and center. I seen your bonehead comments on your thread . I laughed my ass off . Andy...

11. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

Damn fine job, Andy. Keep up the good work!

12. robleticia

robleticia

Looks good Andy!!! Alot of damn work aint it??? You look like you are on the right track, just take your time fitting the back glass and I think it is going to turn out fantastic!

13. Thanks chopd . I must check out your thread and see whats up !!!

Thanks Yeah Rob its coming along . I give myself 6 weeks to get this thing together ( The chop that is ) The fitting of the chev back glass might be the most time consuming of all . I know you know how much tweaking this shit takes . Cant rush art LOL!!!
    Later, Andy...

14. wow! This is amazing Andy! Fantastic work! The lines of the Buick are perfect. So hard to believe what you started with and where you are now. I'm anxious to see how you transition into the back glass.

I do have a novice question for you....will the glass in the quarter windows be stationary? Just a curiousity question.

15. Thanks for the kind words Hivolt . I do look back from time to time as just a reminder how far this thing has come . The rear side glass is still in the air but you are on the right track when you mentioned the fixed rear glass . It would be a lot easier and not so time consuming . I will see if the winders geometry will be affected by the chop . I think they will still work , much more of a chop and I wouldn't think so . If I epoxy them in place that wouldn't bother me to much because the waterbox that is inside the rear panel is rusted out a little on the right side . That would involve cutting through the inner panel at the right side , inside the car to access the rusted portion . As if I didn't have enough to do LOL!!! Later , Andy...

16. koolkemp

koolkemp

Good progress Andy! I glued my windows in on the 51...I didnt have any of the window mechanism's at all...and besides it alot cheaper than getting all the new window track etc.Car still has great ventilation with the vent windows too.

17. What you said makes perfect sense. As I was looking at your pictures I was thinking how difficult it would be to get the window mechanism to work properly with the changes in contour of the quarter window. Not to mention all of the support structure you referenced. Fixed windows sounds like a good plan to me!!! :)

18. I will take opinions under good advisement . I will get to that phase in the build much later as as you know the rear window treatment is still in the air . I have sourced a couple buicks just 20 miles from me and seeing that we dont have much snow I will be able to access them now instead of the spring . I am hoping they both have good windshields . I will take both seeing that I finished off a crack that was in my original . It run like a bitch when I removed the glass . If the price is right I will take the rear glass as well . I also need fender extensions and mustache bar as well . I hope the Buicks are the correct year. Andy..

19. koolkemp

koolkemp

Make sure you take some pics of the expedition to said Buicks so we can follow along :D ...I know I should get a life !!

20. nali

nali

Not too far, in Québec, we have here a shop making car glasses for many old one.
    It s just near Montréal.
    Just in case you need new ones ..
    http://www.vitresdautosjutras.com/

21. Yeah Kool I thought of that but I wont be heading to the yard this weekend as we are expecting snow and the wife had other plans . :) Oh well ! I will get there . Maybe not til March now though . Getting any time in on the Coupe ?

Nali , Thanks for the link I will keep that in mind . I would suppose that it would be very expensive for a custom glass . :eek:

22. I am gonna tell you guys who are following along . I had the most frustrating week . I could not for the life of me get the correct door gap on the passenger door . It all started last Sunday and got worse from there . I have about 16 hours on the door and finally prevailed . I ended up having to take some off the door as it was binding at the A pillar post . I took some off of the door frame itself to get it to stop binding. You can see in the first and third pics. the new gap that I cut in . Now the doors close with no binding . I have come to the realization that these old cars were not the same on both sides . Case in point the drive side door opening is 1/8 of an inch larger than the pass. side . Dont sound like much but I gonna tell ya it can play havoc with you when your tryin to align things . I had to walk away more than once this week . Frustrating to say the least . I am sure you guys have had to endure the same from time to time on a build . Andy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  23. Some pics from today . First pic is of the difference of the leaned post and the door frame although you cant see very well in the picture . 14 degrees canted inward from the 3 " chop .Various cuts and welds from today . I had to make a filler strip fro the door top 2 " wide and I had to make the reveal in it as well . I think it turned out pretty good . I suppose you could say that I am biased though LOL! Andy..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  24. Moparts

Moparts

Great work, keep it up!

25. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

26. More from the day

Attached Files:

27. A couple more from the day . I have the C pillars welded in . There is sure a lot of welding and grinding to go . Maybe I will get out there tomorrow before work and get the rear glass mocked in . I think the chev back window will win out . I like the looks of it . Andy

Attached Files:

28. Thanks for the encouragement !

As well to you Kustom !

29. nali

nali

Honestly, I have no idea .. IIRC, I asked 2 years ago for my 66 Rambler, and the price was about 400 $ for a stock windshield.
    I think it s not too expensive for an old car like we have ...

I suppose that if they make Rambler , they also have Buick windshields :)
    Why will it be custom ? Just cutted, or a special shape from a pattern ?
    I know their website has an english version, so they may understand . I don t know if your french is correct in the other case , but if you want, tell me what you need and I can call them and ask. They are about 20 km from me.

30. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Keep up the great work!