Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. jr9162

jr9162

Andy, As it sits on those tires; how high above the ground are the sills at the end of the front fender well and the beginning of the rear fender well?

2. Thanks Steve and yes its to bad we were not closer for surely you would be taken up on the offer :D

JR9162 I am going into the shop today and I will get the measurements for you . Andy..

3. Just more rear floorpan work . Getting there though :rolleyes: . Andy..

Attached Files:

4. Griznant

Griznant

Wow Andy, that is really coming together!

I know some guys get bent about the late-model stuff under vintage tin, but I really agree with your decision on this car. Still trying to figure out how I want to tackle my '54 suspension and transmission. Gotta keep the nailhead in that one though.

I've been watching this project for quite awhile since it's fun to live vicariously through someone else's hard work! :)

5. Thanks Griznant for the comments . You making any headway of sort on your Buick ? And I agree that yes some diehards get bent, but if anybody says that I butcherd up a perfectally good Buick obviuosly they jumped on the bandwagon midway and dont know of the condition the 51 was in on day one . Cripes even the lower controll arms were rotted through let alone the frame from front to rear . All scrap!!! Stay tuned this otta get interesting :rolleyes: Andy...

6. Griznant

Griznant

The only progress I made on mine was to build a barn and put the car in it. :eek:

My frame is in great shape though, so I don't have that hurdle to jump. As for yours, I would have done exactly what you're doing. :cool:

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

Its the only way to save these cars where we live that are this rotten ...hell its even getting hard to find the later model donor with a usable frame! I tried to find a usable G body for my 47 but couldnt find one and had to use the S10. If I were to do it over again I think I would have just used a G body clip and built the rest myself. I will prolly do this for the rusty pile of scrap Merc stuff I am collecting now.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  8. Kool K (Steve) When you were considering a frame for the coupe did you ever give thought to a crown vic as a doner frame ? Those 4.6 litres' work very nice and lots of power for a custom like your building . I always said that if I were to build another Ford ( I owned a 51 F-1 a few years back ) I would use one of those for donor parts or frame . Andy..

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  9. 48SuperConvert

48SuperConvert
    from Seattle

Andy...It's great to see your car outside. It's looking gooooood!!
    I had the chance to roll mine out to turn it around, but it was raining so hard I didn't get to take pic's.
    Keep up the great work.
    Dale

10. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go, Andy, Go!!

11. koolkemp

koolkemp

I have never measured one up but I was under the impression they are quite wide as far as the front track width goes...and the newer ones have those weird offset funky wheels...the only place I have heard of them being used is on trucks. I know of a guy in NB who used a complete frame under an o/t 77 F100...I never saw pics of it but he said it looked great but sorting out the wiring was an absolute nightmare :eek:

12. You may be right in regaurds to using the frame on car bodies but the motor / transmission would be a nice combo for a rodder to use . I am sure guys on here have used these engines / trans especially in a the early 30s' Fords as they are an impressive looking engine .Off to the garage for a full day of work , we'll see what I can get accomplished :rolleyes:

13. 48buickkid

48buickkid

Looking good man! Haven't checked on you in a while so the progress is really amazing as always, keep it up cant wait to see the finished version!:D

14. don daddyo

don daddyo

Here is the look of my 51 buick four door,before someone make an good offer I can refuse
    The car was very solid everywhere & more...

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

15. 48buickkid , sorry to read you had to sell the buick because of bureaucratic bullshit . They will be the death of this passtime come hell or highwater . To bad the new find is so far away !!!

16. I sure would like to find a mustache trim for mine . Cars just look good low . Especially old ones like these . To bad you sold it .

17. Well its been a week or so I managed to get a little something done . Caught the damn flu last weekend :mad: cut into shop time some . Had to make a rear floorpan for the drivers side rear footwell . Formed this up and welded her home . The corner piece was a bit of a bugger but preseverance pays off . I cant seam seal any of this as when the car goes to rotissire I will be welding all this on the bottom side as well . Put the engine back in with the new relocated mounts and it fits like a glove . There is an inch of clearance at the firewalll to the head on the right side . Perfect . Now I can use the stock length driveshaft . That save about 400.00 denerios . Cha ching !!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is the Canadian equivalent of Yankee Ingenuity?

(From where I sit, y'all look a lot like Yankees):D

Damn fine work, Andy. "We don't need no stinking NOS panels!"

19. Damn fine work, Andy. "We don't need no stinking NOS panels!"[/QUOTE]

Thanks Brerhair . Panels arent to hard if you have the time . And we canucks are like yankee brothers . I wish we could drop the boarders when it comes to parts . Boy would I order up some shit !!! And in a hurry I might add .

20. nali

nali

I totally agree :)
    Maybe we should sing " All we need is parts ( not rusty .. ) "

21. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not sure I understand, Andy. Are you saying that trade tariffs make EMS replacement panels (and other parts made in USA) prohibitively expensive?

22. nali

nali

Parts are not. Shipping is .

23. You got er man . I would definietally buy more USA made stuff if we wouldn't get hit so hard at the boarder. Its a son of a bitch when you look into buying something and the shipping is almost the cost of the item . Sucks bad . Anyway no sence whining about this, it will never change .

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  24. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Man it's looking real good!

25. ems customer service

ems customer service

i disagree there are no import duties to canada from the usa,

( were not discussing quebec and there strange rules)

there is however sales tax: national sales tax and provincial (state) sales tax

the combined sales tax is 13% or 14% depending on the state.

if you use fed/ex or ups (or other broker for imports) there is a broker fee usally $25 to 40 usd.

the sales tax will be collect by the broker ( ups/ fed ex) if you do not have a account with them. then ups/fed-ex will send the package c.o.d to collect the sales tax and broker fee. so add a c.o.d fee also

and look at were you live "new bruswick" it is kind of remote area

you can buy ems parts via dealers in canada they would have a slightly cheaper price as they broker more good through customs dept.

so i am not sure where you are getting your info or how hard you are hit.

this applies to ems parts only "listed as vinatage parts"

new parts for newer cars or that can be used on newer cars (fuel inj kits for 350 chev) will cross at a different rate.

the ems guy

26. Thanks for your input EMS guy but I have ordered stuff through these brokers and had to pay through the nose . Case in point ( Chevs of the 40's ) Ordered windshield front and back seals price for me to get them out their door was another 65.00 on top of the 165.00 that I paid for the seals . Let me tell you I was pissed . That was my first and last usage of UPS . They told me that anything under 100.00 was around 25.00 brokers fee . Anything over was prorated on the cost of said item . I will admit that was 10 years ago , maybe things have changed with them . I ordered another item for one of my projects and same senario not quite so bad though ( probably because the part was cheaper ) I will use USPS , Canada Post its a little slower but its cheaper expidited ground . Since you mentioned your product , who are the dealers in Canada that sell your bodypanels ? These have been my experiances with brokers , anybody else (Canadians ) care to chime in on this topic ? Andy...

27. fitzee

fitzee

UPS!! Not a good word to use in these parts... It is a killer up here i seen items show up that were worth $30 and have brokers fee of 40 dollors, A friend just order a pile of parts from Speedway and total charge on parts and shipping was 1700 and when it was at his door he had to pay another 200 in brokers fees!! We get nailed on it by the broker.. Was a time when the dollor was bad that for what ever it was Us it was double in price to your door.. much better now but still costly..

28. koolkemp

koolkemp

brokers suck! I had it good in Ottawa only 45 mins to the border, I would just send stuff to the ups store and go pick it up myself . I hate ordering stuff if I cant use the USPS..

29. I guess I am not alone in regaurds to this !!!

30. ems customer service

ems customer service

be carefull canadian customs folks are not stupid,

customs does call here to check on invioces and prices and how much was bought and when, we will not lie.

on average one or two ems customer's from canada gets caught every year trying to smuggle parts.

the ems guy