Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Hello Hambers
    Slow but sure progress. The fender is coming along . I scored some very nice headlight buckets from Ohio should be in soon . I will be able to finish this fender french job . Turning out good . The headlights are frenched a tasteful 1 1/2 inches. Just enough.
    On another note I found some bottom door hinges for the Buick . If you recall the previous owner or maybe the owner before him lost the hinges . There is an old guy just 20 mins from me that has 2 Buick parts cars and they are full of good stuff .
    aw1950 :cool:

Attached Files:

2. lawman

lawman

Keep posting.Tom (Tired Old Man)

3. billys54

billys54

Great work

harley jim likes this.
  4. big bad john

big bad john

.......Sure looks great so far.....keep us posted.........

5. Out With the old and in with the new . Small progress but progress none the least. I am getting the easier stuff out of the way . Doors and fenders are a snap . The real work begins when I get into the cutting and aligning of the two cars . I cant wait :D . Anyways thanks for the words of encouragement from all who sent it my way . I will keep posted as often as possible . PS I have a honey do list like most guys so my time in the garage is limited otherwise there would be a progress post every night .
    Damn list :confused: lol !!!

Attached Files:

6. A few more pics of the progress on the front fenders. Mustache is hard to shape but its getting there. First picture is of the mustache before shaping . Lots of shrinking and stretching to get it there . I wish I had more time tonight I would have had it done :mad: . Tomorrows another day.
    C-Ya

7. Heres the Pics . They didnt send with the last post . :mad:

Attached Files:

8. padorey

padorey

Sounds that you are on the right track. Hang in there and it will bee a very cool ride, Mine took 22 years. My friend is building a 52 Special hardtop, with plans to chop it.

9. LesIsMore

LesIsMore
    from Ohio

Need any detail shots let me know.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Thanks guys and yes LesIsMore I may hit you up for a few shots as the project moves ahead . Andy...

11. Well thats 1 headlight done on to the other . What do you think ? :D

Attached Files:

Baldies likes this.
  12. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Your frenched headlight looks very good. Keep up the good work!

13. caddy-man

caddy-man

Lookin' good !!! (another Buick fan)

14. koolkemp

koolkemp

Looking good, keep takin and posting pics!

15. Looks great! I love the progress :) I have to say I was a little puzzeled at first about the closed up headlight, but I guess it's for stabillyty right? More pics! please!

Klaus

16. Thanks for the words of encouragement boys and yes Kuztomklaus you are right . It was easier to weld in new flanges on both fenders this way . It helped to keep the form of the fender . Once welded I just cut out the opening as needed. Keep checking up now and then lots more to come :rolleyes:

17. are you going to use the firewall from the caprice?

18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like it, a bold stroke, mate a '51 body with an '89 rolling chassis/floors.
    It's what hotrodding and custom building is all about
    Do you have the front of the '51 body? Keep on Truckin'.

19. Brerhair Thanks for the words . yes I have all the sheetmetal for the car . The big challenge will be to make 2 rear Quaters . As you can see in the posts previous they go from bad to non existant LOL !
    TB33 I think the fiewall of the caprice is not in the right place in regaurds to where the front fenders need to be to be centered over the wheels. I will have to remove the floor section altogether from the caprice frame , section it and fit it all back together .
    This is the kind of stuff I live for . I cant wait :)

20. Another update . A buddy came over and 4 hours later this is where we are at . This is the point I need to be . The frame will be cut and the 5.5 inches will be added . Then it will be time to bring the buick in and seperate it from the original frame . I cant wait for that . Its like an early Christmas present . :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

21. Well today was productive . Started by rolling out the frame and storing it for the time being . Next we drug out from around the back of the garage the Buick. After the removal of the few remaing body bolts ( 1 ) LOL I braced the car up and the threw a 2x4 in across the trunk opening . Wrapped the chainfalls to it and away we went . ( Liftoff ) Blocked the front up on sawhorses and rolled out the old frame .
    Next up is the removal of 7 inches from the frame under the trunk area of the frame as it is that lenght to much in relation to the Buick .
    Then, because you should always repair frame with frame I will take that 7 inch piece , cut it down to 5.5 inches and add it to the middle of the frame . This will bring the frame to the correct 121.5 inches in wheelbase that I need for the Buick .
    Moving right along wish me luck :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thought my '51 Chevy was rotted on the bottom third . . .

Looking good!

23. Well another update . Got to steal away a couple hours tonight and I cut out what was remaining of the original floor . Not much of it left to say the least . Not really enough time to do too much more than that , but I did do a lot of looking and thinking of what my plan of attack is .
    Maybe tomorrow before work I will get the Buick moved to one side of the shop and get the frame back in and cut and lengthen the frame so I can lower the buick over theframe . Then it will become clearer as to where to start in the build .
    Where into the fun stuff now :D
    Later!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  24. More Progress I had a few hours today and was able to seperate the two frame halfs. I will put in the 5.5 inches maybe tomorrow if time permits . Enjoy the pics for now all you pic junkies LOL ! :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

25. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Progress is a good thing!! :)

Kreepea_1 likes this.
  26. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

That puppy was rusty! Looks like it is in capable hands :)

27. csclassics

csclassics

51 Buick is one of my favorite cars!! Enjoy the build! Looking forward to seeing more pics!

28. Well thats one side down one to go . 3 Hours of work I wish I had more time today . :mad:

Attached Files:

29. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

keep it posted !