Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. robleticia

robleticia

I like how you call it "a little bit of rust repair":eek: Go man go!

2. LOL !! Yeah I suppose you got me there on that one Rob. There certainaly no LITTLE rust issues here is there ? :rolleyes:

3. Not much done in the last few days but progress is progress . Was able to have the rear of the body setting on its new rear mounts for the first time today . Removed the rear brace that was holding it in place for the last 8 months. Small wins, a day at a time over the rust issues . :D

Attached Files:

4. farmer12

farmer12

You're showing some great progress Andy. And remember, it's only metal! Keep going, you'll be glad you did.

5. Thanks farmer . I see you are making progress on yours as well . It sure will be a fine looking Mopar when you are done with it . You and your son should be proud . Andy

6. Was at it again today . I needed to replace the metal that was absent between upper portion of the panel and the lower portion. It was a void of about 5.5 - 6 inches .Once the car was plumb I removed the plumbob and was good to go . I had to leave the hump in the filler piece to facilatate the gas tank when I go to reinstall it . I dont know what I will use for a tank now as the floor has been made smaller by 6 or 7 inches. The caprice wont fit now . Maybe a Malibu tank ??? We'll see . The initial panel fits well but some of the reinforcement beads are clocked wrong . I will cut these out , shift them were they belong and reweld them in the proper place . I know its a lot of work for a trunk floor that will be covered but sometimes I THINK, correction , I know I am OCD on some issues and this be one of them . I just cant let it go and say good enough. I have already removed one of the offending alignment issues at picture number 6. I have a couple more pics coming kinda boring though as it is of the under side of the trunk support that I am fixing . Oh well it all has to get done ,boring as it is ...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  7. Just the rusty POS of a body mount before and almost done after .

Attached Files:

8. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

That is an amazing amount of work, definitely looking good! And, c'mon, you know you want to lower the lid!

9. Love them Buicks, good work and a lot of it to. Rags

10. You know it but I have to wait till I get it better tied together . The roof is about the only solid part on the body right now . :D

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  11. Rear body mount all welded up and ready to install . Had to move it to the other side of the shop . Why is it that a car takes on a totally different look even in this condition when it is outside ??? Someone photoshop this side profile if you like and post it up here. Chop it up . 2 , 3 , 4 inches whatever you like :rolleyes: . Andy..

Attached Files:

12. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

It's looking good! Keep up the good work.

13. robleticia

robleticia

Is that a Ford tail light in that Chevy????;) Man it looks great outside, you're making great progress!

14. Thanks boys and yes Rob that is the great looking 49 Ford tailight that is going to reside in this GM . Some might say they will be the icing on the preverbiele cake .

15. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Hmmm, that tail light gives me some ideas!!

16. robleticia

robleticia

Did I start a fad?? haha!

17. You may have Rob you just never know!!!

Cowboy 1 do you have any update on your Mopar ?

Left coast eric Those frenched ford tailights would look good on your chevy as well . Andy..

18. robleticia

robleticia

so how many inches did you decide on for the haircut?

19. I am leaning on 3 to 3 1/2 inches . Thats why I would like a photoshop picture . It doesn't sound like much to some guys standard but I dont want to regret to much of a chop seeing that it is such a slabsided car . If the roof is to low it will have that cartoonish look of being overchopped . But on the other hand if I lengthen the quaterpanels 3 inches I would be able to go a little lower than planned . Geez Rob now the wheels are turning even more . Thanks a lot !!!! Like I dont have enough to do LOL!!!

20. fordtorinogt70

fordtorinogt70

the 51 is comming along. looks good. I'll be doing a 53 special in about the same condition as yours started. by the way I posted a link on another thread I dont know if you had checked it. you were looking for interior door handles. Anyways here's the link again. I bought some for a 1942-1948 chevy and they look and work great on the 53 buick. http://www.classychevusa.com/index....s/Category_ID=23/home_id=5/mode=cat/cat23.htm

21. Thanks for the comments and the link . I am talking right now with a guy who has all original available to me . I will keep this link in mind as well . Andy..

22. Racrdad

Racrdad

Not knowing what the side glass height measures I just took about 20% out of it. If you want to send me some measurments I can take "inches" out of it as well. I laid the back window down and didnt extend the catwalk any. If you want to see it with the back window moved forward and the catwalk extended I can do that for you too. Just let me know what you want to see.

Attached Files:

23. koolkemp

koolkemp

That looks good Racerdad! Andy get the front clip on there for some better pics...and Racerdad can lower it for you at the same time :D:D

24. robleticia

robleticia

see Andy, and you thought I was getting your wheels spinning? He does that shit all the time with my car!

25. Thanks racerdad I will get those measure out to you asap . I like it a lot . You see a lot of chopped cars on here but when its your own your more apt to get out the sawzall . i need to be patient ..... I will send the measurements out tonight and you canwork your magic . Andy..

26. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

I have a set of Buick lights I am going to mess with also...The chop looks good on there. Think about extending the catwalk, I wasn't going to do it, but adding just 3/4" to it made everything else work much better.

27. Left coast man I will keep that in mind as all options are on the table at this point . Andy..

28. Heres some measurements . Sideglass is 16 inches high from the beltline to the top of the window. And from, the beltline to the crown of the roof is 22 inches . The total length of the beltline front to rear is 96 inches . Yup 8 friggin feet. It really is a land yacht . Play around with the catwalk area as well Racerdad . Andy..

29. He must drive you crazy always messin ya with shit !!

30. robleticia

robleticia

yeah he does, but he is the reason I'm not driving a Rat Rod so I like to hear out his ideas. The man has truely bad case of automotive A.D.D.! Your car is really looking great Andy!