Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My new hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flamed48, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Flamed48

Flamed48

So a couple weeks ago I picked up this 1962 Chevy nova w/ a 194 and a power glide have t figured out what direction I'm going with it yet but for now I'm gonna drive it

Attached Files:

LOWDUG37, SLCK64, wicarnut and 4 others like this.
  2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Not a hot rod but a great old well maintained car.
    I'd give my left nut for that and not change a thing.
    That's a great engine combo that'll give great mileage and run forever.

3. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Looks like a nice solid car,no matter which way way you run with it ,have fun and enjoy the process.

4. Slopok

Slopok

I see Gasser written all over that one, It's got the right steering wheel and the door panels are already removed!:cool:

Bandit Billy and 56shoebox like this.

5. slowmotion

slowmotion

Damn, that's nice. Look up Smokin' Bill on here for inspiration. He did one up really cool.

[​IMG]

6. Slopok

Slopok

That's what I'm talkin bout!

7. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Nice start! looks like someone removed all of the exterior trim and changed the grill and the parking light lenses, the "Nova" option had a nicer trim package than the 100 or 300 series Chevy IIs' did. The stock differential is not very strong so be careful, I destroyed mine with a worn out 283. Put an axle kit under the front, drop a big or small block with a 4-speed in it and have a blast! Keep us posted with your progress!

8. Harland grunder

Harland grunder

Street sleeper

9. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Nice little car! Always liked that body style. Congrats!

10. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

good body style - don't be shy about improving performance, etc

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome to the "where were you in 62" club. Looks like a nice starting place, I hope you keep us apprised of your progress. If you want a set of stainless side window vents (visors) I have an NOS set for some reason. Tried to sell my 62 drop top for a while, decided to freshen up the interior with new seat covers, need to get it back on the market now that summer is here.
    upload_2017-6-27_9-29-24.png
    Not that I don't like the nova, I just have too many projects at the moment. Hope you have a blast with yours. Make sure you do something to upgrade the suspension, these things corner like crap.

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

with a 194 and powerglide, that will probably be the slowest car you will ever own. I had a nice 66 Nova back in the 80's with a 194 and powerglide. my old 72 Datsun wagon was quicker.

iwanaflattie likes this.
  14. catdad49

catdad49

Nice little Deuce. Enjoy it for awhile, then decide your direction.

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've been a Nova nut since we bought our 67 in 1982, so I'm always look'n when out and about. There is a 64 or 65 (5 lug) 2 door post car here locally that I see a couple times a year, just a clean original driver that appears to be a middle aged lady driving it.
    Every time I see it the gears start turning in my head as to "the things I could do with that car".
    I actually had a reeely nice 62 hardtop around 1972, original red/white, bought it minus engine/trans and had plans to build a 1/4 mile car but never did, the sad part was the previous owner had plans of drag racing it so he cut the firewall out of it for an engine set back.
    Have fun with your Nova, it has so much potential.

16. Nice Chevy II, I agree it has a lot of potential

X38 likes this.
  17. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

I forgot to mention,
    join "Steve's Nova Site" forum, they are better suited to our Chevy II/Nova needs. You will find answers to questions, help and parts that you cannot find here.

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

Being just an an old car with out modifications does not make it a hot rod. Good luck on your effort to make it one.

19. Flamed48

Flamed48

Knock off moon discs that I got with the car

Attached Files:

pat59 likes this.
  20. In about 91 or 92 I bought a 65 SS 2 dr hardtop. When I went to see it my friend was bitching that it was a super sport it should've had a v8. Guy wanted 650 or 700 for it. We left after I told him I'd take it. My friend told him "we" didn't want the 6 cylinder though- unheard by me. Next day I came back with the money and the guy had pulled the engine/trans (glide) and after going around a bit I paid him 400 for it.
    Always liked them and wanted one and this little car was just about right. 65 5 lug, aqua paint and white(ish) interior with buckets and console. Gas station owner that I filled up at on my way home had to have it and paid me 1400 for it. I thought I won the fuckin lotto. A grand within 1/2 hour. Didn't need the money but couldn't pass it up. Didn't even change the title to my name before it was gone..

anyway -- cool car. Enjoy. You might be surprised by that six if it had a different transmission and proper gears to match. Won't run 13 seconds in the quarter but with out the powerglide it'd be better

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

21. squirrel

squirrel

I'm glad I didn't get one that nice to start with....woulda felt bad, cutting it up!

[​IMG]

But I guess it was worth doing.

[​IMG]

Nice car you have there, the possibilities are infinite. Have fun with it!

22. southcross2631

southcross2631

I would not make a Gasser out of it. I say that and I am building a straight axle Gasser.
    I had a 67 Chevy II 2 door post that I built a real strong small block rebuilt the suspension and upgraded the brakes. Made many trips of over 500 miles one way in that car.
    Should have kept it ,but didn't. They make a really good highway flyer with the right suspension and brakes. Speedway makes a pro touring bolt in setup. Probably not HAMB friendly, but driver friendly.

23. Flamed48

Flamed48

What's the secret to making power with the 194 engine

Bandit Billy likes this.
  24. Swap in a V8.

Phil

60F250, seadog, 1956 F100 and 2 others like this.
  25. Taking it out. :)

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is hard to see in the picture but you see that HP rating on the 1 barrel carb air-cleaner decal on my Nova's 194? It says 120 Horsepower. I think that was a bit overrated, and probably at the flywheel, with no belt driven generator, when it was brand new, under laboratory conditions, on fuel without corn in it, at 4:30 on a Friday, halfway through a cold 6'er. Never use the words "making power" in the same sentence as "194". If you want power and a bowtie, better drop the "1" and start that cubic inch displacement with a "3"...and add a "2" to the four...yeah, that'll do it..
    Nova08.png.jpg

27. Flamed48

Flamed48

Painted the top grey and added some more black, now to save up for a set of spider caps to add that pop of chrome on the wheels

Attached Files:

28. raymay

raymay

Saw a couple of early Nova's at recent cruise nights. Both were head turners in near perfect original looking condition. One was sporting a 409 under the hood and the other still had the original 6cyl with a 4speed on the floor.
    Had a newer 6cyl in one of my 37Chevy's. Pepped it up a bit by running an Offenhauser manifold setup.

29. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

I like this look nova.JPG

30. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Same as any other engine..... Increase the compression ratio and shove more air and fuel through it.......