Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My new (FREE) 49 chevy project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FestersGarage, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Ok so my friend has had this car since high school its a 1949 chevy more door well it sat and sat he chopped the top welded the rear doors shut and it sat and sat some more. Well he has a new project and was gonna hall this too the scrap yard until i said hey what are you gonna do with that 49? So anywho I have another friend that just gave me a 400 pontiac motor/trans. the cars already set up for a v8 so my plan is to get it running and driving and go from there wish me luck its rough! any ideas or input would be great

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  2. Adam.Perrault

Adam.Perrault
    from Phoenix AZ

lot of work but looks like a kick!
    keep up the pics

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

Work that sucker over and keep us posted!!! :D

4. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i will give you double what you paid for it.

that's cool man, free is a great price always. go nuts on that thing!

5. should I change up the rear window or cut the post out?

6. Squirt239

Squirt239

i have a 49...sure wish i had someone to help me chop mine. that looks fantastic

7. jetcycles

jetcycles

glad you finally found a ride. . .I watched your WTT ads on craigslist for a while and realized you still had the truck when i saw it at the Hoedown. Keep the pics coming, sounds like you have good friends!!!

8. 'Mo

'Mo

FWIW, Yes, the rear window needs "changing up" to better the flow. (We're not talking side windows, Right?) Perhaps the bottom could brought forward a bit, or the entire window inverted? (Something to eliminate the apparent bulge at the top of the glass.)

The posts (B-pillars) also need work for uniformity, and to eliminate the "dog-leg". The best case scenario would include the incorporation of longer Tudor doors, and rounded rear side window corners. (JMO)

The car has an otherwise nice profile.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  9. olskool34

olskool34

Lengthen that front door to make it look like a two door. looks like fun.

10. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

Slanted Posts................. or covering to look like a "Carson Top"

11. BEAR

BEAR

i would keep the post myself .........

12. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Hell, I'd just sand it down, spray a coat of primer on it, and get it driving!! The finish work on that could wait for a while.

That is some extreme patina, too! ;)

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Clean it up, sand it down, get it in primer(non-porous) work out the mechaniclas and drive that sucker.

14. KCsledz

KCsledz

I need a friend like that! Work it how it is and get it on the road!!!! Summer is coming.

15. Wicked50

Wicked50

ya keep the post fix the rear window later . I second El Scotto's suggestion

16. Definitely get her running first.
    IMHO you are far less likely to let it sit for long periods while working the body if it's already running.
    At least for me, getting to drive a project sure lights a fire under my butt to keep it on the road, versus the "never ending project saga" where you try to do it all at the same time.

17. Free! thanks for saving it from the scrap bin. China has to many of our old cars in cube form already.

18. Area56

Area56
    from Oklahoma

I like it.

What kind of lettuce are you growing there? :p

19. Second this.... If anything at all do this..!

20. yea the damn truck haha I still have it. I dont use it much other than a work truck but screw it i guess ill keep it.

21. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I would get it running first too. That, will keep you interested in doing the rest a little at a time.

22. RDR

RDR

lots of work ahead of you....just wondering if by chance a fleetline deck lid would possibly fit into the plans ? Sure could smooth the flow of the back window to trunk out if it wasn't too big of a task to adapt in....maybe slanted B pillar a bit...2 DR doors would be nice....ain't easy making a silk purse out of a sows ear,huh??

23. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very kool project!! The most important thing is to get it running. Get it so you can
    enjoy driving it around town. Nuthing kooler then driving around town in a chopped
    sled. Back window looks fine to me. I was wondering if the rear glass is too high on
    the top? May need to come down a little. Other then that enjoy the build so you
    can enjoy the ride. Keep us posted with the progress.

Happy Trails,

Mick

24. Get it driving!

Here´s a little inspiration. Fourdoors with the rear doors welded normally look a little off, but I think this one could work really well. I tweaked the back of the roof to get rid of the fastback look, kept the glass thats in it and put the swage line back to separate the roof and the rear deck. Rounded the back corner of the side window and fixed the kink in the door frame by the glass. Oh and I angled the b pillars just a tiny amount. I don´t know why, but it looks a lot better with that done. Anyway, it´s not a horrific amount of work to get it looking good.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  25. RDR

RDR

James D...we are all PLEASEd to see your work...thanx Nice Job

26. I see what you did there....;):D

27. cadillac daddyo

cadillac daddyo
    from wichita ks

cant go wrong with free keep us posted on the progress

28. kool you go after it.

29. rustyhood

rustyhood

That buddy of yours did one hell of a good job on a more door! That can be so bad ass! plus the price is right. Build the hell out of it, great investment if you change your mind down the road. My 2c and good luck and have fun!

30. loosenutNH

loosenutNH

damn what a score! It looks like whomever did the chop knew exactly how much would look good.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">