Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My new driver - '48 Fleetline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BarryA, Jun 14, 2014.

1. BarryA

BarryA

I wasn't planning on buying anything right now, but this just came up at a fairly good price. I still had just enough cash left from selling my '41 pickup, so.....
    10461320_10152513317886972_6258007573986903142_n.jpg
    It was owned by a parent at my kids school - he is into restorer/original stuff but some personal circumstances meant he had to thin down. He said it was a '47 but grill/badge appear to be '48 (we seem to have gotten half-year, mixed up models here in South Africa)
    The car is pretty much original (except for 12V and radials).
    As much as I would love to dive in and start making changes, the plan is to resist that urge and keep it on the road. I will be lowering as much as I can with cut coils/lowering the spring cup on the A-arms and lowering blocks/de-arched springs out back.
    As long as the engine is running ok I will leave that alone - except maybe for split manifolds. If I pick up any major issues I will probably go the route of a later six with open drive as I can find them fairly easily, rather than trying to resurrect the 216. If that happens I will look at a rear notch and getting it to sit even lower..
    Gears are a little hard to get but I think that may be in the linkage - will need to scratch a bit. I can get a (free) spare gearbox if there is a bigger issue.
    There are a bunch of small things to attend to - vent window cranks don't work, some gap alignment, and finding the missing trim etc
    Longer term I would love to chop it, get it a little lower and change the colour - but hopefully I can resist that for a couple of years and just enjoy having a solid driver for a change....

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Nice car, data plate will ID YOM, prefix would be 46, 47 or 48 and then 1007 suffix. RHD Fisher body?

Stogy likes this.
  3. belair

belair

I love mine. Those 216s don't like a lot high rpm. Is the shifting issue related to the vacuum shift? Anyway you snagged a really nice car.

Stogy likes this.
  4. M1Lover

M1Lover

Sweet

Stogy likes this.

5. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Looks like a really nice car

6. BarryA

BarryA

Stogy likes this.