Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My New "59" Edsel Ranger.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by chrisg_ky, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Front sump pans for Ford V8s are easy; after '53 (T-bird until '57) and until the late-70s, everything had front sump except for some 4WD applications. And even then, front sumps were still used in most applications until Ford went to the Fox platform.

2. squirrel

squirrel

429/460 car engines are front sump. Been a long time since they build them...can't find old Lincoln parts donors as easy as you used to could.

3. Two words.... Motor homes. You can find low-mileage motor homes with 460s in them for relative peanuts if the coach is bad.

4. squirrel

squirrel

aren't the motorhome engines rear sump? Makes it a little more challenging

5. I looked at a 429 in a '72 Lincoln that had been in a fire, decided to pass on it.

6. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Why not install a Ford 223 in it which came in lots of '59 Edsels?

PICT0046.JPG

7. I like the 223, see a lot of Edsels that have them, stick and automatics.

chrisg_ky likes this.
  8. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

You have the oil pan off the Edsel, isn't that an FE series? If so, just swap oil pans and pickups.

On the Chattanooga Craigslist is a 360 out of a 1969 F100 supposedly running when pulled for $200. With a manual transmission, looks dry. For $2000 you can buy a driving '74 F100 LWB with a 390. Looks decent, so you would have a shell to sell or part out. Etc. So FE stuff is still out there. 351Ws used to be cheaper, but the marine people gobble them up so they are scarcer and even so that is not what was in there so exhaust and mounting will be more of a hassle. You would almost have to have a whole car to get what you need.

Hope you find something that works for what you want to do.

chrisg_ky likes this.
  9. chrisg_ky

chrisg_ky

Found a another product to let the 361 soak in. The crank had the tiniest of movement today. So I will keep soaking it. Even if I do end up pulling. I'll rebuild it later to go back in.
    Found a few whole trucks in my area for under $1000 with 302, 292 and the 223. So I have a few options. Also found a galaxy 500 on Craigslist too.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. chrisg_ky

chrisg_ky

I added some atf to the cylinders two days ago and pulled the rocker arm assembly to make sure a stick valve wasn't keeping it stuck. Have four stuck valves on the driver side. Gave them a little tap with a block of wood and doused them with pb blaster. Today we put a bore scope camera in the cylinders. Surprisingly they weren't all that bad. Check my stuck valves again and the got a little more movement. Also got about a inch of movement out of the crank also. So I sprayed it down again. Looks like it might be coming back. I have the rockers completely emerged in evapo-rust.

11. squirrel

squirrel

Probably ought to just take it all apart, since it will need new seals and gaskets (and rings) anyways.

12. chrisg_ky

chrisg_ky

I get what your saying squirrel. I figured having it freed up would make it easier to rebuild. The father in law seems think she might run again. So I'm inclined to humor him as he is a pretty knowledgeable guy and has had success with such ventures in the past. I get I'm taking a big risk but in the in it may just get replaced or rebuilt.

13. squirrel

squirrel

I expect it's not worth doing a real rebuild on...but if you carefully take it apart and see what condition the parts are in, you might be able to get it running again without spending much money. Or maybe not, depends on how bad it is. I got lucky with my new 59 Edsel, the engine didn't need much. But it's not rusty like yours is.

chrisg_ky likes this.
  14. chrisg_ky

chrisg_ky

Any pics?

15. squirrel

squirrel

chrisg_ky likes this.
  16. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Great find! Thank you for saving another oldie.If you have the 250 chev and likely an aluminum powerglide I imagine it would not be difficult to put it in the Edsel and make it driveable.As others have said it will require oil pan modification\replacement but would allow you to drive the car while rebuilding the original engine. I expect it would be much cheaper to hunt up an aluminum PG than to try to buy an adaptor! less trouble too.Are you able to do the engine work yourself? If so it should be a fairly simple matter to rebuild the original engine.I saw you mentioned a local machine shop earlier so I reckon you have that part of the job covered.You are absolutely correct in saying it will be easier to get the engine apart if it is not stuck!I have taken apart a number of engines that had that damp,powdery rust in them and to my surprise it cleaned off and there was little damage under it.Keep plugging and good luck.

chrisg_ky likes this.
  17. chrisg_ky

chrisg_ky

Sorry what does the PG stand for?

18. chrisg_ky

chrisg_ky

19. chrisg_ky

chrisg_ky

Pulled some of the trim today. Painted some spots that need attention.

[​IMG]

Also a friend photo shopped the car in red and black. What do you guys think? Think I might do a combination of the two.[​IMG][​IMG]

20. FANTM58

FANTM58

I actually think the white looks best.
    It seems to bring out the body line better.

chrisg_ky likes this.
  21. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I think some tires before paint?------;)

chrisg_ky likes this.
  22. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look for crown vic's that have been used as police cars for a drive line source .

Moondog13 and chrisg_ky like this.
  23. chrisg_ky

chrisg_ky

I can get a few cheap used tires locally to make it mobile. Lol

24. Sauli

Sauli

That other car You got was a huge plus in getting that 1st one completed. If You plan on using it for spares, my advice would be keeping it complete and throwing away nothing. Finding good, used replacement parts for anything of this vintage can get involved sometimes. Even if it were available out of a "repro" -catalog, it may or may not fit.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Moondog13 likes this.
  25. Parts cars are worth their weight in gold... still realizing I'm missing parts on my Ford. Some I can make up myself, some I can do without, some I have to keep an eye ball peeled...

chrisg_ky likes this.
  26. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

So is the engine loosening up any more?

27. chrisg_ky

chrisg_ky

I haven't had a chance to check it out lately but I will give it a go later tonight.

28. squirrel

squirrel

hey get to work, I've been driving mine around! fun cars. I gotta admit, mine didn't need nearly as much work as yours does.

29. chrisg_ky

chrisg_ky

It's a little hard right now. Remodeling my new house[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and Okie Pete like this.
  30. squirrel

squirrel

wow, that will slow you down! I need to do some of that this summer...