Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new 1961 Chevy Apache

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cometkid, Sep 19, 2012.

1. This is my 1961 Chevy Apache. It's a Texas truck, so 100% rust free! It has a 283 V8 with a 2 speed powerglide automatic transmission. Interior needs work. Overall this buy is a homerun! I have big plans for this truck. I want to add a new exhaust, interior, shifter, paint,ect. My father helped track down this truck so a big thank you goes out to him. I FINALLY OWN A CHEVY AND A V8!

Attached Files:

2. Yeah..61 chevy pickups rule! Here'a my old 6 banger, 3 speed version. One redeeming quality ws the split manifold and twice pipes.

Attached Files:

3. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Congrats!
    Not sure what the previous owner did with the front bumper there, but if you decide to put bumpers back on it, be aware that '60-'62 bumpers are different than '63-'66 bumpers. The frames are different, so the bracket mounting holes are in the wrong place.

I've got a set of driver-quality chrome headlight bezels if you decide to switch the painted ones out. Send me a PM.

The front suspension on those trucks is really expensive to rebuild, but I LOVE the ride on my '61, so it's worth it. I've put a CCP dual reservoir power-booster on mine... being an auto, yours will be a LOT easier to convert. I had to screw around with that hydraulic clutch set-up.
    What rear end is under yours? I've got the GMC Dana 44... great rear, everything is still available, including new Dana/Spicer gear sets. I've got 3.42s in mine, and an OD manual trans.

Congrats on the truck--you'll LOVE it!

-Brad

4. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Very very nice truck.
    Good for you..
    Keep us in the loop on your progress...
    Cheers.....

5. You did good on this one son. This thing is real clean!! It is a total driver as it sits and you can chip away at it as you want. Not bad for a 18yo kid!!!
    I hope you know this addiction will be with you for life!! Dad

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have never driven one of those before take care getting in and out until you get used to it or you will have a sore as hell kneecap. I've had a couple of those and they will beat the hell out of you if you aren't careful until you learn not to swing your knee up high getting in.

Nice looking truck that looks like it will be lots of fun.

7. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

They're typically referred to as "Knee-knocker cabs."
    I have the other problem--whacking my skull on the slanted B-pillar. One day when I have weather stripping over that edge, rather than just bare metal, that won't hurt. As much.

-Brad

8. csimonds

csimonds

Wow, that's bad ass! Great find fella's!
    Chuck

9. jchav62

jchav62

Score!! Congrats... that's a very clean truck. Looks nice the way it sits...

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

10. I think I remember seeing that on Craigslist recently...nice score!

11. We just brought her home this evening. WOW it's nice. Got a few little things to do but it's all simple stuff. Gonna be fun!!

12. CGkidd

CGkidd

What happened to the comet? Truck looks cool.

13. Comet is up for sale. Locally and in the classifieds on here. Tyler always wanted a nice truck first and foremost. He was patient and it payed off. Todd

14. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

15. FF SIX ONE

FF SIX ONE

Congrats on your find. I got me one of those too, except its a stepside. They're fun to work on.

16. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

I like it, great score! Plans?

17. It needs some interior work. No carpet or sound deadner. Window fuzzies.
    I would be more comfortable if he put front discs on it, so were going with dropped spindles and dics up front. Some dropped rear springs too. Other than that just drive the crap out of it for now. Todd

18. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

You're going to love your truck. I drove my '65 for 19 years. It was the most comfortable truck I've ever driven..even over long, long drives..Sorry I sold it but something had to go:(
    [​IMG]

Check the seal around the drip rail.... The drip rail is part of the roof structure and the roof cap sits on it and is spot weld periodically around the perimeter.... When the factory sealer dries up water that accumulates in the drip rail seeps between the cap and roof structure and will drain down the windshield posts and..literally...fill the hinge piller with water.

Don't ask me how I figured this out;):eek:

Have fun with your new truck:)

19. Nice looking truck Rich. When I was in the Navy living in San Diego I had a 63 longbed and loved it. IT was a great truck.Drove it everywhere. Todd

20. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Comet - Nice truck! Too bad us guys from the Northeast have to venture south to find a rust free body.

Enjoy it.

Chris

21. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Nice, brings back memories of the one my dad had back in the early 70s. Looked just like this one.

Attached Files:

22. 61 Rodluver

61 Rodluver

Totally digging these Apache’s! I bought this C29 out of Az. Rust free had a tired 350 and factory 4 speed that’s a 4.57 granny tranny. X frame is a pain so moving body on to 84 C10 with new 350 & tranny IMG_1404.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. 61 Rodluver

61 Rodluver