Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new 1956 Ford Customline 223

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rui, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Hi there.
    After years of chase, money saving and disappointments, I finally managed to buy a roadworthy, road inspected 1956 Ford Customline. Man I’m so thrilled I’m hardly able to sleep! Here’s a short sequence of the trip: Taking my old 1968 Opel to take part on the deal, getting acquainted with Cruella, the 270kms journey back home (sweating due to a carb leak right to the top of the manifolds), and the car at home.
    Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

Now I need some help: besides other problems, my throttle pedal keeps leaning to the left, because the part that holds the throttle shaft through the firewall is missing. Can anyone show me a picture of this particular throttle shaft-through-firewall setting, or maybe a part of this Ford manual / factory hand book so I can figure out what is missing?
    Thanks a lot.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      133 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      90.3 KB
      Views:
    • f.jpg
      f.jpg
      File size:
      137.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      69.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      121.3 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      124.7 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      93.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Congratulations on the Customline! I have become somewhat partial to 56 Fords since I got my Fairlane. I am betting there aren't many of those in Portugal.

3. 68vette

68vette

My favorite ford....a 56 Customline.

4. Thanks for the input guys. I'm very happy. Here, as you might imagine it is really hard to a) find a customline b) find a road-worthy, road-inspected customline and finally c) a road-worthy, road-inspected customline that can be bought for a reasonable price and that doesnt belong to some rich garage princess maniac that doesnt even drives his cars. Oh... and yeah I love the rust on her grille.
    Could someone please post a shot of / explain the throttle pedal through firewall assembly. I'm missing something here, I mean, yes I can build some sort of axle / tube bracket that would work, but I guess Ford already did that.
    Thanks and keep it up.

5. I will try to remember to take a couple pics of mine although it could be different since it is a y-block car.

6. OK folks. Thanks for helping. I'll surely be pesting you with questions from now on.

7. 68vette

68vette

I am not sure but I think Dennis Carpenter in Charlotte NC may have the parts you need...just google...

WWW.DENNIS-CARPENTER.COM

He probably has a catalog on line that shows you what you need...

8. Ok 68vette. Thanks for helping.

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I can't go and look. I'm not near it now but from memory I'm pretty sure the pedal is not serviceable. Find a gas pedal assembly from another 56. They are all the same and should simply bolt right into the firewall. It sounds to me like your pedal is broken. Replace it and be done with it. My gas pedal stayed in place while the engine was out. There are plenty of 56 Ford guys that part out cars and this is not a hot item. It should be very cheap.

This was 6 cyl car and the gas pedal seen here hooked up to trips was the easiest part of the build.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  10. morac41

morac41

Hi .. Great to see you have a classic ..not an easy car to find in Portugal...Have fun

11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

It doesn't go through anything but the floor,you need to replace the worn out pedal because the rubber is shot,the link that passes through the floor has a mushroom shaped head on it and in time they wobble out the rubber and the pedal gets sloppy:http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1956-F...Parts_Accessories&hash=item258c8f1b85&vxp=mtr You can see a good view of the pedals backside here too.

12. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

You should really order this too: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-59-For...anuals_Literature&hash=item564bdf821d&vxp=mtr This contains an Illustrated section that shows every component of your car and where it fits so you can print that out when you go out to the garage to work on it also the Parts section can be used to find parts on the web by doing a search of the Ford part numbers so you can find them and get the best deal,that CD will be the best "bang for the buck" you will spend on your Ford. CLICK on the picture below to enlarge.

Attached Files:

• Scan.jpg
      Scan.jpg
      File size:
      470.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  13. morac41

morac41

Hi JeffB52 I think he is talking about the throttle shaft that runs through the firewall .. There is a bracket with a plastic bush attached to the fire wall above the pedal ...the pedal rests on the shaft where it pass's through a hard rubber grommet in the firewall...think this is missing or is broken..