Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My Morning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 16, 2016.

1. As long as the person takes responsibility and isn't an asshole I don't see any reason to be unkind. Shit does happen. Of course it is easier to adopt that attitude when your vehicle sustained no damage. :)

In any case, you're a kind and decent man, Cochran and a tough fucker when you need to be. You're well respected for that reason. That's what I think.

Speaking of tough, it's surprising how tough these old trucks are. Years ago I was loading up gear after a gig at a bar. I watched some drunk get in his Chrysler and back clear across the parking lot and smash into the rear of my '58. It was a hell of a crunch and I ran over to my truck expecting the worst. Fortunately he hit it square on. I was surprised to see that I could even find a scratch on my bumper. The Chrysler wasn't so lucky. Rear smashed in, busted taillights. I wasn't very nice to him. He deserved it.

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I like the steelies. Good on you with the kid man. Odd are he's one visit away from getting his head full of hot rods..

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't be bummed out bud, take it for what it's worth. I think you did good, I just hope he ends up knowing what you did for him. My sardonic outlook is based on several real examples over a long period of time. All in all I'm still ready and willing when it comes to the next generation, but at the same time I don't expect all of them to end in a positive experience. Yes too, hot rodding is indeed a small town and all the more reason to maintain an open mind and a willing helping hand. I suppose I've just resigned myself to accepting the growing number of buffoons and spoiled brats that exist behind us. To say that isn't so is pretty much denial but again, I think you did the right thing even in spite of how easy it was to do so.
    And I still like the steelies, so there...:cool:

4. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

When I was going to Tech School I borrowed my Grampa's 64 chevy 3/4 ton truck for a couple weeks. Just off hwy 100 I was rear ended by some old lady in a K-car at a stop light. My head bounced off the back glass she hit me so hard. When I went to the back of the truck to see the damage her radiator was laying on her engine but she hadn't scratched the bumper on the truck. Her car was most likely totaled... felt bad but she must have spaced out I was sitting at a red light.

Tuck

5. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At the risk of being a real DICK, I have to ask the question. Was the harelip before or after the wreck ?

6. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, Boss. I was wondering why you didn't choose the earlier steelies for your ride. I know everyone runs them, but they are just so cool. By the way, I do like the subtleness of the truck.

7. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I still don't understand why Texans by the gillions just don't have that love for the American automobile like Californians do, to this day. I just returned from 2 days at El Mirage and met some of the craziest fuckers to ever have a driver's permit, that being said out of adoration. One group from Pasadena, reminding of the Burbank Choppers, had its various rides out on the silt and were having the best freaking time just doing burgers and "dogs" and chilin'. Saw a topless '34 phaeton, a radical '48ish GM coupe, an oh so original Deuce roadster complete with Marvel Mystery Oil injection bottle (this young gun is one serious rodder), among others. I have yet to witness this in San Antonio, but I'll bet I can find it in Austin if I just look. Austin rides rock.

8. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, deucetruck, how many years of THERAPY did you require to become normal again after that "stint". You should have received combat pay for your effort.........................AND, you hit the nail on the head about role models, or the lack of. Thank you for your service.

9. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HOODLUM ? ? Hey, I resemble that remark ! How are you doing after the surgery ?

10. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That photo conjures up "justifiable homicide".

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I suppose geography may have a bit to do with my outlook, yet one would think Motown would breed a better youthful car freak. When you see a 20-something pout, shed a bit of a tear, even call his mommy (yes one of em did that too) it's easy to develop a bit of a sterotype. Our society doesn't help either what with "safe space" in universities and a bigger than needed focus on bullying. Who would think "...you need to do this better so try this..." would net reactions like that? Most would probably give my role models a death sentence, but I wouldn't be what I am today without. I'd never advocate ignoring or allowing failure, I'd likewise never advocate the most minor degree of coddling or undue attention to self esteem. Ryan is correct in his observation of our thing as a small town and equally so with how it "takes a village". I myself am a 57 model and I still get help and support from others that mirrors what he's talking about. I'll stop now, but not before saying I'd be more than willing to tell my stories, train or advise as needed, and anything in between to our future hoodlums. I'd even help a tuner if I could as some of them are just doing what we did with what they can get right now. Peace y'all...

12. children, and pets, learn what they live.

13. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Good looking truck Ryan.Thanks for the post.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

14. Deadbird

Deadbird

Many many years ago, my old man got rear ended in his Ford 3/4 ton. Not even a scratch. When the cop asked if anything happened to him he said, "well it knocked my hat off." Tough old trucks. Glad nobody was hurt.

15. wicarnut

wicarnut

Nice to read this, we all have done stupid/careless things and I have received a break or two for my mistakes. Similar story, in March, we had a break in the weather (Northern Wi.) And I Took my mint OT/ RT for a cruise and meet friends for lunch, as I'm pulling in to parking spot, young man on his cell phone, backs in to my driver door, ($2900 fix) saw him look in his mirror after impact, he jumps out and apologized many times, genuinely sorry, AND after I cooled down, took me a few minutes. He had a licence and insurance and after talking with him waiting for local sheriff, was a good decent young man. After Sheriff filled out accident report, he asked me if I wanted him to ticket the kid for inattentive driving, it was my decision, said no, cut him some slack, Sheriff (older man) thanked me and said, we were all young once, glad you remembered. In parting with young man, he kept apologizing and I said, This to shall pass, Please be careful in future AND IMO cell phones, yes I have one, are the worst distraction ever.

16. truck looks good even with the steelies. Great reaction to the kid too, wouldn't be my first reaction, but a little selfreflecting is good to do now and then!

17. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

So far, about seven years in the garage with the hot rods!! (Although my wife has always said I never matured past the eighth grade, mentality-wise, myself. :rolleyes:) Thanks for the compliment, GA.

18. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I'm an old curmudgeon and I remember being young and unattentive while driving...I would have drug him outta the car and beat him with a rubber hose

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Honest comment. Thank you.:D

20. Anderson

Anderson

Wasn't me!

Also, Bullitt.

Also, '01 or '08/9? Cause there's an OG paint '01 bumper on craigslist for cheap.

21. Some body would have been in jail if it was my 40!!!!!!!!!!!! Probably me!!