Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Model A Truck will soon Scream under new Power

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Littleman, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Sounds like the converter is way too tight if it's pushing out of the beams at 1900 rpm. Get a nice loose one (4500ish :D) and you'll knock off another .5

Looks awesome, sounds great, and it's flying. Badass!!

2. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

So, The big question is......
    Are we gonna see it at The H.A.M.B. drags?

3. Cshabang

Cshabang

bitchin dave...I can say once you get that 11-o, it'll be goin 10's...and don't say it won't be...haha

4. GREAT shop, very cool truck, love the pics, and the thing just sounds fantastic..
    also sounds like you had a really busy weekend at the track.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Looks like you're living large Littleman... later

5. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Littleman, I wish I would have stopped over and introduced myself at the Gasser Reunion this year but it seemed that the time went really fast this weekend. I had the blue & silver Pontiac powered Bantam Altered this year and left the Falcon at home. I have a good picture of you leaving the starting line on first round Sunday that I will post here, my dad and I really like your truck and did it evry run strong.

Jon

6. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

You are so right...I hate to admit it!...........its one hell of a vicious circle....Littleman

7. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I was looking for the Falcon, like in your avatar.................I made a pass w/ one of the Bantams......passed me as if I was sitin still.........Littleman

8. Cshabang

Cshabang

think of us as your ummm, well cattle prod...haha are you going out to Pomona for fathers day?

9. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

No..........I wish I could make it.....I am looking for work at this time........time to get back to it....Littleman

10. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Will you (have you?) post pix of the shop when done? Looks great!

11. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Here is a pic.........disregard the gnome hanging onto my window...this was taken at the track by someone else...They were having a little track humor with me......so I put the little fellow in the passenger seat and took him down the track with me....Littleman

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. We had a blast this past weekend. I knew the weather was gonna be good. Its just a matter of time, this little truck will be passin me by....BG here we come!

Don

13. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

WOW.

BobK really is everywhere... :D

14. tinyt869

tinyt869

awesome truck nice work and detail plus i like the gnome LOL

15. Fishtail8

Fishtail8

Nice little truck! Good to see something of that caliber actually getting down the track in a hurry instead of just looking the part. Don't let any of the modern conviences (wrinkle walls, good brakes) bother you, they're all part of what it takes to run some fast times. Look forward to more vids too. Is it still streetable? With tags and such?

16. How were you able to drill the jets out at the track ? I thought something like that would be a delicate operation.

17. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I buy several of the same drill bits and measure each one.....I find one that is just undersize...I cut and face off a brass rod and drill a smaller than desired hole thru on the lathe.......I then take that small simulated jet brass part and drill it out to my desired size with an cordless drill, then check the size after drilling with a qualified machinist drill pin set....I use the just undersize bit...by the time I withdrawl it out,it is to the size I want.and debur...So I have put together a qualified drill bit set...so I know the end result after the drilling and I always double check each one w/ my pin set.......Curly watch me do it at the track..........The squirters I drill out by hand w/ a pin vise.......I started out drilling them all out by hand w/ the pin vise..........but at the track you better be proficient w/ a jet change if you have to change twelve jets w/ a 6x2...I have changed jets at the local K-mart parking lot before....I like to go to the track w/ my duckies in a row if possible..organization!.......Drill bit dimensions and tolerances can be all over the place..Littleman

18. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I drove it to the hardware store yesterday.......its plated and insured.....Littleman

19. TRIUMPH TERROR

TRIUMPH TERROR

Dave,

Looks and sounds great,By the mph you're making the horespower and I would think it would et a little better.I agree that a loser convertor is the ticket.Need to leave at about 4000 on a 2 step with a brake and you should be in the 10's I would think easily.

Are you just barely pushing it in the beams or are you rolling in deep.Staging shallow will help your et some.But you probl know that.Look forward to crossing paths this summer.And I didnt catch your mothers maiden name in the last post.....BAHAHAHA

What happened to the bike project?

Shoe

PS:I always thought hotrods were about the Go Pedal but I also remember the hot rods of the early eighties with v6 engines and saftey checks....:D

Also as conder sez If you dont feel like you cheated death after you climb off a chopper then you weren't really riding a chopper.Same applies for fast cars in my book.Keep us posted I glad somebody likes the go pedal.....;)

20. why would I expect anything less from a machinest..lol

21. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I pulled the engine and trans yesterday and took my converter to get it loosened up...but after giving them all my specs, they said I should leave it alone.......They did cut the converter open and checked it and said it was a nice converter and well built and has a 3,700 stall based on the formula they go by.Basically if I raise the stall I will run out of motor at the end of the track and since I am running an old 57 Pontiac rear, I do not have another one or the parts to set up another gear and posi to swap out.They put in a few new parts and put it back together........So if I really want the truck to really fly it will need a real drag race cam...then I would be able to put my blinker on and pass a whole lot of cars.....But with having to load the car onto Dons trailer next Wensday for Bowling Green...I better get this donkey back together...and I will continue to tune the carbs with its current setup and see what can be squeezed out of it....I just love the fact that its going as fast as it is with six two's...........got to go and get to work....Littleman...really looking forward to seeing everyone at Bowling Green..

22. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Here you go Littleman, here are 2 pictures from Sunday at the Gasser Reunion. Looks good and sounds good.

Jon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

Man, I dig that THE MOST!!

24. That thing is bad ass.

Sam.

25. Fishtail8

Fishtail8

That's awesome Littleman. Nothing I love more than a guy who uses their stuff. Now you gotta take it for groceries and blow the kid's mind when he brings em out. :D

26. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

Littleman, I love the truck. It reminds me of the truck my dad built in the late 60's early 70's. Practically identical to yours except his was powered by a chevy 427 with tri-power and would pull the front wheels. Your build brings back a bunch of good memories. Great job, keep up the great work!

27. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Its been running in the mid to to low 11.s.........so far the fastest is an 11.33.........The cam is too small and needs a real drag race cam...it has a street grind in it...so their is mucho improvement to be had.........But it is still streetable as is....Littleman...let me add....Its only been to the track three times with the new engine, lots more tweeking to go....

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  28. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Dude... hahahahahaha.... this pic RULES.
    sorry to bring this back up but I was catching up on your thread... the truck Rules Dave-

Tuck

29. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

dem is some fancy nippies poking out of that small block.

30. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Yes, my 60' times are from 1.60's to 1.65's on average....would be better if I had a trans brake and race converter but its a street driven HotRod..........Just got back from the Rock and race at DragWay 42....Laid down 15 passes in nasty heat and poor air at best all weekend..atleast for my setup...and the best pass was a 11.51 w/ a 1.607 60' and a .0145 reaction off the tree..Had a good time all weekend.....Littleman............Time to build a real DragCar........