Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Model A Truck will soon Scream under new Power

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Littleman, Oct 15, 2007.

1. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

Roll Bar is looking good dude!! YOur truck is going to haul some serious ass, with that engine.
    take care
    Jimmy White

2. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I have made a couple of rear rollcage bars and mocked them up, I think they work as far as not killing the look of the Truck too bad....I did it this way because most people would have them coming out higher up on the cab and would have a taller and longer profile, which just would not look as good....... really do not think theirs a real good solution?...But to be legal, you must have the rear downward bars..I could leave them out and see what the tech guy says if anything...but I am not a gambler.I have found old pics of rear bars being used from long ago....Littleman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

you are a madman.

4. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

fuckin CHRIST wow...

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Very cool. Hey was that steel blue color your frame is painted always on there? And those fat meats on the back just scream ROTH proportions, although on yours they serve a purpose. Your shit blows my mind!!!!

6. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

7. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

looks great! i think you nailed the look of the bars. its not everyday you yank a mill as good looking as your 327! cant wait to see the new powerplant.

8. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I think I'd try to spread the bars apart at the top a bit more - not because it'd look any better (looks better the way it is) but because getting them closer to support near your head is a good thing IMHO. Obviously if they're "too close" to your noodle then that's not good either. Either way it's got to be a bunch better than before!!

9. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I knew when I did this I was taking the strength away from its traditional intersection with the main hoop. No doubt it would be stronger moved outward.......I have mocked up a bar in the more normal location and hated the way it looked,kinda like a 4x4 and the only thing missing was the KC lights,,,, so I tried to think outside the box a little........It is a bit cramped in the cab and getting smaller........It pays to be short.....until I need that ceral bowl thats on the shelf just above the bottom shelf in the kitchen cabinet....I just got a response from a tech person, I sent them pics and they had no problem with it...I wish I could leave these two rear bars out...but they suport the main hoop and tie in the chassis.....I hope I never have to test it out!!!!........Littleman...Iam also going to tie the two rear bars together outside the cab.....Thanks, I will also add when wearing my helmet I have very little room to spare without hitting bars...as it is...I still need to wear my helmet and move the bars out one more window hole....If I have no helmet interference I will do that and will move those points a little more outward.......Thanks for looking..

10. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I just moved the bars outward one window hole, my helmet hits if I tilt my head back so I would just have to put some of that Dragster dense half rollbar padding on it and should be good to go...My helmet does not have to travel much further until it hits the rear of the Truck Cab anyways......Now I just have to sneek up on the final fit...The upper wider stance fits the Cab and bed width better and looks more proportional....Littleman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. I'm glad you spread those bars out on the top, it looks like you'd have more support the way they are now.

12. JimSibley

JimSibley

Littleman.
    I think I love you. Not in a " im a raging homo" kinda way just a "you are my hero " kinda thing. I love this truck, and you are THE ONLY person to put a roll bar in a model A truck and not turn it into a hillbilly toyota 4x4, kcs and a gun rack lookin ride.
    Jim

13. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

14. VAROOM VAROOM!!!!!

Looks like a screamer Dave!!!

15. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Moving the bars out one window hole was the right move...looks much better and should provide more strength.

Nice work Dave! The truck is going to be even more killer than before.

16. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

I agree with Bass, IT looks way better with the bars spread apart. I think the aesthetics and function are better.
    Jimmy White

17. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

yep same here... much better spread out- that looks AWESOME Dave.

Tuck

18. Sracecraft

Sracecraft

Littleman

I build mid-engine road race stuff at work. The rear main hoop supports must be removable so the engine can be removed. We machine spuds that go thru the main hoop and weld them in place. There is a matching spud on the diag. bars that indexes to the one on the main hoop with an interference fit. A 1/2" AN bolt secures the assembly. A similar set up is used at the bottom end. The spuds on the diag. bars are most often at an angle to the diag bar, typically, either level or plumb to the chassis. Also, sometimes the bodywork requires the spuds to be direct threaded when there is not access to both sides. This is a legal method by our rules. I wonder if it would work for you? You could remove the rear bars when not racing and retain the look. Plus you would not whack your head on the bars while driving on the street without your helmet on.

Just a thought,
    Love your truck!
    Craig

Attached Files:

19. I like the thought of removable bars also, for when you build a serious drag car for that motor:cool: Just curious what the tech guy thinks?

20. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I was told by Tech that the rear bars could not be made removable, only the front door bars to make it easier on the big/tall guys to get in and out of their seat, and an approved set up at that......so they tell me...Some of this stuff is a matter of interpetation by each Tech at each seperate track........I do not think I will have a problem........When I took the first pic I only had time to mock it up that once with the bars close together and had intended to spread it apart for a look.....always need to explore all your options......Thanks everyone, Littleman......Spacecraft, Thanks for the idea, I had thought of something similiar, but attached differently, until tech shot it down....

21. titus

titus

dont break your rear window once the bars are welded in!

looks good

JEFF

22. Sracecraft

Sracecraft

Littleman,

I was'nt sure my suggestion would pass tech, but it was worth a shot. I have a drag race inspired truck on the table as well. Getting those rear bars to look right is not that easy. Your idea looks good. My fat head won't fit in the same setup though. I'll figure something out, thats part of the fun!

Craig

23. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Finally had some time to spend on the Truck, I had to add two short rear frame stubs off the back of the frame and then real short verticle ones up off them to give the two rear downward tubes a home..It took alot of time, having to lift the body and bed to gain room to weld......Finish fit the last two bars and finish welded the entire cage and new crossmember.......Need to fix the floors where I had to cut into them and then move onto the rear 36 bones, either beef them up or build ladder bars from scratch.....Littleman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

correct me if i'm wrong,but i don't see where they bolt in and out.are they in for good?if so,that's a big commitment.:)

as allways,your work looks killer.

-danny

25. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

You are correct...that none of it bolts in and is all purpose built and one unit..The rules do not allow me to do any different...Thanks ,Littleman...hope to go racing soon..working on filling in the holes I made in the floors today..

26. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

How did I miss this thread? Very cool truck.

27. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Quick update, new engine is bolted in, made a new transmission crossmember, ran braided fuel line and bolted fuel system back in, due to the cage I had to remount the seats inward and forward, along with that I welded a mounting point to the rollbar shoulder bar to mount the seatbelt shoulder harness, switched out the drum risidual valve for a disc....a new rear disc Willwood setup is on the way to bolt onto the big Pontiac rearend to slow this buggy down at the other end...The old drums would get screamin hot before...I swapped out the Lokar shifter for a tailmounted Gennie and went w/ a 12'' shift rod....no more jumping out of gear on these rough Ohio streets....Littleman

[​IMG]

28. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Hey Littleman, I can't wait to see some dragstrip footage of your dragtruck in action.

29. 65 impala

65 impala

all i got to say is looking real good. terry from the great white north

30. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

He may go by "Littleman" but he's got some big balls!!! Looks incredible, great job!!