Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My model A build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nocero, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Nocero

Nocero

Hello everyone. I've been around the Hamb for quite some time now but I don't say a whole lot. I've always wanted a model a coupe and got tired of working on race cars every week so I put the race cars up for sale and set out looking for a model A.

I posted a little while back one of those "what's it worth threads" about a model A I had found locally. I bought the car against my better judgement, and boy is it rougher than I thought. So for those of you that said to wait for a better start I should have listened. Too late to turn back now though. I've got the car home and been ripping and tearing for about a month now and thought I'd show where I am now.

Where I started

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  2. Nocero

Nocero

Home in the garage

Attached Files:

3. Nocero

Nocero

Couple more

Attached Files:

4. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

looks like you have a project on your hands. good luck.

just remember,....eat an elephant one bite at a time.

5. kieran

kieran
    from San Diego

wow looks like i couldve been an old street rod or somthing. Good Luck!

6. Nocero

Nocero

Where I'm at now I've got the r/h quarter replaced, l/h wheel lip welded in, all patch panels have been ordered, the doors swinging nice, the body has been squared up and braced with tubing, the wood has been replaced with steel, the windshield frame is fit up and swinging, the panel behind the visor is in, the visor is drilled ( I'll do a tech on my home built dimple die soon) and welded on, roof support bows are in and the roof filler is tacked in,the left hand wheel well is welded in, and I'm starting to fit up the deck lid and rear panels now.

Attached Files:

7. Nocero

Nocero

The car was hit way harder than I had thought the rear end is even bent. The wheel well openings were plated over from body line around the opening straight down with 1/8 steel and welded in one pass warping the hell out of them then fiberglassed in. The frame is rusted and bent, even the rear crossmember is bent.

Attached Files:

8. Onelow34

Onelow34

Hell of a good project on your hands! Good luck and keep us posted with more pics.

9. JRRoberts

JRRoberts
    from Madison WI

Looking good, what sized holes did you drill in your visor?

10. Nocero

Nocero

2 3/4 inch I made a die to dimple the holed out of a couple of bearing components. I'll post a seperate thread on that tomorrow.

11. lsmjamison

lsmjamison
    from Texas

Good luck man, I admire your tenacity to take this project on and stay with it! Keep us posted, it looks like i could learn alot from watching you build this one!

12. Nocero

Nocero

Had a couple days off this week and was able to spend some time in the garage. Cut the front end off and worked mainly on the roof.

Attached Files:

13. Nocero

Nocero

Made a little more progress over the last couple weeks. It's been pretty cold to be in the shop so I re-modeled the living room. I plan to hit it hard over the next month. Couple of progress pics sorry for the shitty cell phone pics, gotta get a new digital camera.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  14. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Looking really nice, and love the hinges on the trunk............Great Job!

15. Nocero

Nocero

Thanks means alot coming from you! Your coupe is absolutly gorgeous to me, probably one of my top 3 in my mind! I'm kinda modeling my build after your coupe, I plan on a color very similar to yours. The hinges are 37 ford. I've been kind of on the fence between them and humpback hinges like Mr Ford used.

16. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Thanks for the compliment, I really appreciate it.

17. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Look's real good. You've come a long way in a short period of time.
    Mat

18. Vergil

Vergil

Looks great, like the top and visor, wish I had put holes in mine.

Vergil

19. You've come a long way already, and it all looks like great work. Keep it up and post more as you go.

20. You are doing a great job. I admire your fortitude. Like the top and the visor. we just picked up a 31 this weekend and my son was concerned about the condition of it! I'll fwd this thread to him............he won't be nearly as concerned. Keep up the great work. And keep the pics coming.

21. Nocero

Nocero

Thanks for all the compliments! They are very encouraging. The car is still way rough. I'm just picking away trying to do the best I can for a hack.

22. mudbog42

mudbog42

Looking good so far, I'm working on a 29 Tudor thats in about the same shape as yours.
    Definitely keep posting as you go

23. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

Hey Nocero looks like you've got the skills to get this done. That's a pretty cool little rod to start with. So what I gather is someone rodded it and it was wrecked and left to rot until sold? Do you know the complete history on your car? Just fixing it up or planning a styling change too?

24. Nocero

Nocero

I don'y know the history on the car. The story I got was it got hit in the early 80's and sat next to the barn until this last year. It looks like it was a well built hot rod in it's day. I believe it was built into a hotrod some time in the 60's judging by some of the parts used. Someone else got ahold of it in the 80's mabye the previous ovner? maby not and did some wierd stuff to it. The firewall was recessed almost 16" and everything was screwed together and fiberglassed over.

25. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

Hey start posting on the banger thread lots more of the same there

26. Doctor Destructo

Doctor Destructo

Looking good. I love what you've dobe so far. DD

27. blackout

blackout

Hang in there, man, you are making great progess.

28. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

Good work,its nice to see a coupe saved from being a rat terd

29. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

It'll just make more of a man out of you! I started off pretty rough too. That Merc dash is pretty bad ass. Keep up the good work, looking good!

Attached Files:

30. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Wow! Lookin really good Tim! Thanks for taking the time to post. Can't wait to see this thing on the street.:cool: