Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My Mini-Storage Find!! 51 Chevy Sport Coupe :D

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chaddilac, Oct 1, 2011.

1. i had trouble with mine like that make sure you get the larger dia cables for it

double check that dash ground too try a remote push button instead of the dash unit

way possible the nuetral safety out a wack too

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Neutral safety? These old Chevys have those??

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

Thanks Dan... I'll have to check it out!!!

4. saints

saints

Nice ride and im green with envy

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

Haha thanks Saints!!

6. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

yeah, hot wire it chad. i want to hear about this running again...

7. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Ohhhhh nice nice nice...
    Vinegar wash, clear coat, and you have what I call the "REAL PATINA" ......
    And cool wheels too....
    Cheers,

8. so its a stick .?.... mine has a linkage deflection problem when the clutch was in it would not shift..just ground and ground the gears . turns out part of the linkage was over centered and the spring held it out of place ..not running .. it took me putting a board between the seat and holding the clutch pedal fully in ... then crawlin under to look at the linkage luckily mine had a shiny spot where it was supposed to be ..slight tug to alighn and presto was fixed
    duuno if yours is that way but could be
    cuz you can not turn over engine in gear just just clickkin the solainoid

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

it's a 3 on the tree.... and it shifts fine, in and out of gear and in neutral it's really solid and not sloppy. I'm gonna check the safety switch tomorrow!

10. aldixie

aldixie

A very nice car.

11. robleticia

robleticia

hot wire it already and get this baby fired up!

12. Just read this.... Wow! Knowing the history, makes it even better.

Looks sweet!

Congrats on your new car!

13. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Hey, that's the wrong info on the ignition switch. If it's the original, and I'm sure it is, left is off and locked when the key is out. In the middle straight up is ignition on. All the way to the right is off but unlocked. Good luck and don't give up yet. Man nice coupe! And there is no safety switch on the three speed.
    Dom

14. warejn

warejn

That's a heck of a find.

Congrats

15. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

My grandad had one just like it, when we drove from Louisiana to Oklahoma he would stop in the foot hills to ad an extra quart of oil to keep #1 rod from burning out!

16. zactly what i said only differnt

17. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

there seems to be some confusion about the ignition switch...and it is a bit confusing.

just remember that straight up/down is on. you should see the amp gauge move when in the on position.

but that isn't your problem. the starter should still roll the engine even when the switch is in the off position

18. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Yep, it's the same difference. Six of one half a dozen of the other. I knew you knew. :) Still hope to hear it runs.
    Dom

19. chaddilac

chaddilac

Huh?? I thought all the way to the right was on? Ok.... well crap I feel like a doofus! I'll check it out again. It's 100% stock, so nothing has changed from the factory.

20. skoh73

skoh73

Same thing happened to me earlier this year. I believe it is called a bendix or firing pin was stuck. I put it in the highest gear (3rd) and rocked it forward and backward, heard a "pop", went and started it right up. Not sure if that's your prob, just trying to help. Good luck.

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

That's a Ford problem. (BENDIX) GM has a drive that is activated by the solenoid, in the strictest mechanical sense.
    If someone would simply advise the new owner to hook up a volt meter to the battery, the problem would be obvious. (the battery is highly suspect, as the engine turned over with the help of a battery charger)

Reattach the battery charger. Also connect an ammeter in line (or shunted: that's the ammeter that has an aluminum channel on the bach and sits on the positive battery cable; It just remains there (hand held) while cranking the starter. If the starter is consuming copious amounts of amperage, (140+) the starter probably needs drive end bushing and brushes replaced. A period Motors manual will provide steps to be taken to achieve this.)

In all probability, the battery will have to be replaced. Kragen's (O'Reilly's, Checker, etc.) can provide a good 6 volt replacement. Be prepared to pay $70+ for one: It will be listed for Tractor, or 'Agricultural'. Auto Zone also...Make sure it has a high ampere-hour rating.
    (buy it ONCE!) Should last 5-6 years under normal driving.

Neutral Safety switch? Not there either.

22. chaddilac

chaddilac

Thanks, but no that's not it, I could get it to engage and spin on the ground with the charger hooked to it, but when I get it in the car and wired it's a no go.

I'm gonna mess with it tomorrow and see what I can figure out!

Thanks for the help though!

23. poorboy

poorboy

24. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

25. erock805

erock805

awesome find Chad...start that thing already...the suspense is killing me..

26. E St Nene

E St Nene
    from Oxnard, CA

Damm you suck lucky bastard :D that is one sweet score... bad ass ride congrats throw some of that luck my way :D

27. now that is cleared up
    put it back in storage and wait for the tv show guys ...

does it roll in high gear?
    still sounds like not enuf snot in battery or weak/bad batt. cable or connections

darn it i am waiting for the video hurry up

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  28. skoh73

skoh73

Sorry fellas, I've only been in the game for a coupla years and I'm still learning. Figured it was worth a shot. Now I know that Bendix is Ford and that this fix will only work there more than likely. Thanks for the info and good luck.

29. chaddilac

chaddilac

I'm working on it fellas!!

I finally got it to crank over.... gotta replace the oil line from the filter to the block.... it broke when it got in the shifter linkage! :(

Ok... Now... I can crank the engine in any position? I don't know why, doesn't matter which position the key is in it'll crank over? But that's what happens when I hit the starter button. Please explain?