Register now to get rid of these ads!

My little V8-60

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D_Lazaris, Dec 29, 2011.

1. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

I LOVE flatheads.

I have a flathead dragster,
    A flathead Nash.
    And my dad and I are restarting the UFRA (United Flathead Racing Association).

I LOVE flatheads!

SO my girlfriend wanted to get me something great for Christmas and I think she did a pretty good job! :D:D

She got me this little v8-60!!! I've always wanted one!

It looks A LOT better in the pictures then it does in person.

It has stock ford aluminum heads and intake that my dad got polished for me.

[​IMG]

The block has been relieved (factory?)

[​IMG]

It seems that it used to be chain driven and from the looks of the homemade oil pan I'm guessing it was a boat motor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wish I can dive in head first with rebuilding but I have so many other projects. So it's going to be a conversation piece in the garage right now.

But now I have an excuse to find an old midget race car to put it in!! :D:D:D:D:p:p:p

I'll be using this thread for the rebuild down in the (hopefully) near future.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

I have several that had V-8 60's in them... PM me
    Thanks racinman

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Now that's a sexy little engine!!! I'm going to be putting a "big brother" version of that thing for my next build. Very very cool!

4. khead47

khead47

Your G.F. is a keeper!

5. AeroTRrat

AeroTRrat

Very cool V8-60! That's some present. Gotta put it in a midget.
    You might want one of these too... I make 'em from nos flattie pistons and 32-35 hub caps, some vintage with dents, some repro.

[​IMG]

6. seatex

seatex

Put it in the living room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Looks to be an ex-boat motor. Did they weld the gear to the crank snout?

8. I also have a love affair for a Flathead. I cut my teeth on them back over fifty years ago. I love them so much that I reproduced the 59AB in fiberglass and plastic for others that can't afford a fully dressed one. Guys use them for things like displaying in there game room, or shop. Others place them in there unfinished Hot Rods.
    The guy with the smiley shirt bought one and took it home to place in his game room.
    I've built right at 130 units to date.

Attached Files:

9. It's out of a hydroplane, or a cracker box boat. They where very popular back in the 1950's.
    They powered the boats off the front of the crank. The sprocket is used for a chain coupling. They machined the sprocket to fit on the end of the crankshaft. The sprocket has a key way cut into it, and the sprockets a press fit. It comes off with a puller. Hundreds of these where used back in the day. It's old but not unique of different.
    The oil pan will have a 10 degree angle on the bottom. The engines set in the boats backwards, and the propeller shaft in most but not all had a 10 degree angle. The later boats reduced the shaft angle down to 7 degrees.

10. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

THATS WHAT MY INTAKE IS OFF OF! haha... sorry ive had an intake manifold just like that and couldnt figure out what flathead it was for...
    I make these out of old flat head pistons, valves, and lifters...

Attached Files:

11. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Those are awesome!!!!!

I already have a dressed one though ;););)

[​IMG]

12. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

I'll have to check if the front pulley is welded on. I don't think it is.

I'll be on the lookout for a regular oil pan. There are some rust holes on the homemade one I have.

I would like to find an in-out gear box for my engine instead of the standard 3 speed.

13. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

I have 2 oil pans for flatheads.... 2 different styles, im sure one fits...

14. Here's something to inspire you. It's the Eddie Meyer built V8 60 that my Dad ran in his first Kurtis midget. This picture was taken in front of Eddie Meyer's shop in early 1946.

[​IMG]

15. sololobo

sololobo

O.K., going yo use a girlie word, CUTE! Thise 60's are great. That bad ass 60 for the midget built by the historic Eddie Meyers is magnificent! Holy mojo, what a cool historic photo. Thanx!! ~sololobo~

16. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

I got mine from a guy that had it loaded up for scrap i have an extra pan i believe a little rough but saveable havent really checked it out my oil pan was cut at an angle and welded maybe it was a boat motor also? Thought it was from a midget cuz i save a torch welded aluminium nose from the same guy. [​IMG]
    It also has the chain drive
    [​IMG] oh yea does your girl have a sister?

17. Your bell housing is cut off like they did for midgets, but the pan and the sprocket on the front says it was run in a boat. The curious part about it is the spark plugs in the end of the heads?? Maybe just dummies to confuse the competition? Or maybe they are just plugging water holes?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  18. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

SWEET !!!
    Both the flattie as well as your wife !!
    Good for you.
    Cheers....

19. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Ahh I love the pictures you guys are posting.

Thanks for all the great comments!

20. I love your engine.! When I built the molds for the injection unit all I had was a picture to go by, but no picture of how the P-150 pump was mounted. So I made up a pattern for the pump bracket and made it fit the head. The funny part is I made the pump bracket pattern with part numbers and took some sand and sprinkled it on the pattern. When I made the silicon mold it picked up the sand look like a sand cast part. With the part numbers in the pump bracket, and the Hilborn in the intake the so call experts think it's a real item. I've had some say that they had a pump bracket just like that at home. Ya, right!
    Yours is real and a jewel.

21. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Stock 60 in my model A..it gets me to car shows....

22. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

I wish mine had the bellhousing still atached id run it in my a at least its spins free unlike my 8ba mines gona make a nice table all dressed up with zoomies holding the glass untill i can afford a t coupe then im block hunting. I havent had it all the way apart but its got .050 over pistons in it..yours looks killer with the polished heads and intake.

23. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Haha that is funny! Well if you are ever going to make a new mold for the injectors let me know. I can send a lot of detail shots to you.

Thanks for liking our injected flatly too! My dad built that engine in the mid 70's. I would hate to try to build it now with the prices of everything!

24. I haven't built a fiberglass Flathead for almost ten years and a friend of mine that's a Shriner asked if I would build him a T Bucket body. he then asked if I still had my Flathead molds. I pulled out all the old molds and decided to give him something that no one else would have. These are a few picturs of the first draft. He has since moved the front wheel forward and fabricated spacers for the rear wheels. When the T Bucket is completed it will have a scaled front end like my Little T in my avatar.
    The T Bucket will be used at parades for the Shriner's. Years ago they had a squad of 1/4 scaled fighter planes. They designed the small planes so that the front wheels would leave the ground simulating take off. They drove those planes at parades for almost twenty years.

I have to tell this story:
    I was at a show in the South East and was pulling around a complete Flathead with the 39 transmission bolted on the back. It was complete and weighted around 30 lbs. I had made a light weight frame with baby carriage wheels that worked great for pulling the engine around. It had a shifter handle coming out of the transmision with a 2" square dice on the top.
    As I pulled the engine around the show a guy walks up to me and asks "will that motor fit my pick up" "what year is your pick up" I ask. "It's a 47" he answered. " Yes this engine will fit into a 1947 Ford pick up". He looks at me and asks, "did you rebuild her". I stood there for a few seconds in miss belief. I answered " The engines made out of fiberglass". He just walks away, and about that time another guy who was standing a short distance away walks up and yells out. " You meet the stupidest fucken people at these shows", and he walks away. In the end a guy from Alabama took the engine home.
    I have had the greatest time pulling my engines around at the shows, and them finding new homes.
    thanks for reading, Johnny Sweet

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      158.5 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      153.9 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      150.8 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      166.3 KB
      Views:
  25. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Thats way too cool... I want one!!

26. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Nice present! Your wife must like you!

27. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

So i pulled the distributer off. I was curious what cam was in it.

And it reads H&C FR.

Now, whenever I see H&C it usually means Harmon and Collins, and from the research I've done, FR is Full Race.

I really hope thats what it is! :D:D

[​IMG]