Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My latest project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordf1trucknut, Jul 28, 2008.

1. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I finally got the canopy done it works quite well now.

I added larger convex mirrors too since it it tougher to back up now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pyro3256

pyro3256
    from OKC

very nice job. how about a tech on the on board air.

3. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Nice! That is way too cool.

4. deuces94

deuces94
    BANNED
    from Minnesota

Very nice. I like the military theme. Definitely has me thinking of a matching paint scheme for my '53 F100.

5. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

As far as a tech for the on board air there really isn't much too it at all.

My setup is really simple... you could make it as elaborate as you want......I don't have an oil separator on the output (So I do have to check the oil level in the compressor regularly) and I don't have an air tank mounted on the truck (for heavy air tool use I just hook the pump to a portable tank then to the air tool.

[​IMG]

first find a york air conditioning compressor that matches your pulley setup. I lucked out and found one with a double setup that matches my pulley setup. The intake and output are labeled on the top of the compressor.

For the intake filter I just welded up an adapter so that I could use an standard ford air cleaner breather filter.

Next fabricate a nice solid bracket to the motor, this wasn't too hard since the york pump has threaded holes all over it!!!!! 4 on the left, 4 on the right and 4 on the bottom!!!! to you can pick and choose... I ended up using 2 bolts on the bottom and one on the side.

Now comes the fun part, finding the fittings to make it work. I spent a half hour at lowes and a few other places getting fitting and tees to make it all work.

if you don't want to waste time searching and don't mine spending a quite a few bucks you can buy stuff from these guys they have all the stuff to make a real nice setup.......
    http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/compressors.htm

I used all leftover junk and regular plumbing stuff so I put about $60 total in the setup. The only special items that I had to track down were:

the pressure switch (mine comes on below 90 and shuts off at 120, I bought it off e-bay)

the emergency pressure relief valve (pops at 190 psi, I got from the tractor supply store)

And the gauge (from the tractor supply store)

Basically I used 3 cheap tees from lowes to create a manifold where I could screw in the guage, the coupler, the pressure relief valve, and the pressure switch. I placed an on/off stich near the compressor that goes puts 12v into the pressure switch then out to the compressor clutch.

I found that at idle it will air up a flat tire pretty quick without an air tank and will run air tools enough to get by (the air tools work much better if you use a tank OR have your wife goose the throttle to cusing RPM's while you run the impact gun or cutoff tool).

Hope this helps ya pyro3256, if ya have any other questions let me know.

6. pyro3256

pyro3256
    from OKC

thanks. i've known this was possible seen lots of 4x4 guys do it. just never looked into that much. but would be nice to have. when i get another truck for a driver. my curent truck will be come a work truck and on board air will be a must. thanks

7. OFT

OFT

Nice job. Your have presented your "year" choice of military type very well.

Earl

8. awesome truck man. exactly what I am trying o build.

9. 50stude p/u

50stude p/u

Perfect. That is one of my favorite bodystyle of truck. I want both. :)
    Is that the stock motor? I ask because my grandpa has a 50 ford pickup and if I remember right it has a flathead 6.

10. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Thanks.

The motor is not stock it is a later ford 200 so far it has been holding up great for a high mileage junkyard motor. So far I racked up 22,000 miles on the truck since I built it last fall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

here are some purdy winter pics of the truck....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

deto likes this.
  12. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

F-1's always look better in the snow!!! Awesome Pics

[​IMG]

13. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Great pix & detailed story. Real neat.

Paco

14. 50stude p/u

50stude p/u

this one is cool!

15. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

That's like a postcard .....

PACO

16. Dyce51

Dyce51
    from Ohio

very nice job!!!!!! That truck is awesome!!

17. Zerk

Zerk

I thought I wasn't going to like this thread.

Wrong again!

That thing is very cool in its unique way, OT or not.

18. oil'n'rust

oil'n'rust
    from NewZealand

love the truck, great thread.

Question, can any AC pump be made into an air compressor ?

19. MichiganJames

MichiganJames

No only york 209 and 210's or certain sanden compressors. Alot of people use them for aftermarket air suspension setup. If you browse certain airirde sellers sites and forums you can find alot of great information.

20. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Love this truck. Refreshing to see a truck thats not lowered or made to look like a car.

21. 29ToyA

29ToyA

I've never liked the look older body trucks as 4X4 until I saw yours!

Now you have me thinking............. hum - get rid of the Bronco and do something like yours.

Great looking truck!

22. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

thanks!

I now have 45,000 miles on it since I built it. It has been very trouble free but This summer I will need to to patch the bed a bit the road salt has been taking it's toll.

[​IMG]

23. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Made a wheel change on it today and put new tires on it.

I had 3 early rims but couldn't find a matching fourth so I kept runnin a set of 60's rims. A friend bought a car that had ONE odd rim that matched mine so I rattle canned them all and mounted up the the new tires. It didn't change the looks much but I like it better now.

[​IMG]

24. 42 chevy

42 chevy

That is a great truck. I love that you use it so much also.

25. Diesel627

Diesel627

26. doc's

doc's

Probably my favorite truck on here.....

deto likes this.
  27. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

Hey John,

The truck looks good, thanks again for your help this summer. My F1 is still stuck in the garage but its melting out there a little at a time.

Take care,
    Dennis

28. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Dennis,

glad I could help ya out!!

29. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

DRuss32,

The front axle housing, gears and axle shafts came out of a 1970 bronco and is stock width.

I found that the bronco rear seemed to be a tad to narrow and didn't look right so I used a rear out of a 1969 f-100 and it was literally a BOLT in swap.. the perches were in the exact right location and angle and the width was the same as the stock dana 44.

The springs are stock front and rear.

I started to acquire all the parts to assemble a "kit" to convert another truck this time using a divorced t-case so any tranny could be used. I pondered setting everything up and listing it in the classifieds as a bolt in conversion BUT figure there is probably a lot of liability there that I don't want to get into.

30. F1-Ford

F1-Ford

Love the truck. Now have yet another truck I want to try and build. I think I might have to limit my time here. :)