Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Latest project 29 A-V8 Roadster.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fordgasser1, Oct 1, 2016.

1. That is Bitchin!

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  2. Toms Dogs

Toms Dogs
    from NJ

Hey Geo- Gonna take ride to TR , in my daily-driver ( LTC), when the rain stops raining, and see this "Jalopy" in person ! ! ;) * Have digicam will travel !
    Tom

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  3. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

You are ALWAYS welcome here Tommy!

4. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

A little more work done before I have to go to my real job! Welded in the dogleg I fabbed and a lower patch panel on the quarterpanel. nothing finer than flat black primer! jalopy 002.JPG jalopy 003.JPG jalopy 006.JPG

1947knuck, brEad, 120mm and 4 others like this.
  5. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks buddy! We will see you and the other New Englanders on the beach this year..Missed you guys last year,just not the same event without the Torr-nados!!

6. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Here's some long delayed updates..Soo much to list..Took body off frame..blasted everything and painted frame/Suspension components. Had to re-bend my steering arms/drag link assembly for clearance..De-arched and reversed rear leaf spring..fabbed lower rear sock mounts from some old AMC steering arms..finished putting my Flathead back together,had some clutch fitment issues with the 34 trans I was going to use..I resolved to rebuilding a broken 39 box I had,swapped in a full gearset from a sideshift box..Once all mounted in,fabbed up the clutch arm..Built a emergency brake bracket to use a 34 brake setup..Plumbed all brakes..re-skinned the drivers side door...Remounted body today,had to modify the firewall for slight interference with passenger side Offy cylinder head..Body is now bolted down tight.Powder coated wheels added new skins..Building a column drop and chopping the windshield..More to come..TROG Deadline is coming!! modela 003.JPG modela 004.JPG modela 005.JPG

7. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

I was able to get the windshield done..Chopped 2" and leaned back..Add a 32 Shell and its beginning to look like a real hot rod! modela 002.JPG modela 003.JPG

8. Great build keep the updates coming

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  10. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Spent the day building a custom column drop out of aluminum..I don't have any machining equipment,it was all with a band saw and a drill press..Also built some radiator mounts. .Pushed it outside for some shots for my TROG entry photo..Fingers crossed! drop 001.JPG modella 002.JPG

11. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  12. Now I am really liking this build.......

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  13. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

It will Wyatt..Didn't have time today to paint numbers on it..

14. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Like most car guys,I have a hard time throwing any old car junk away. Here's a good reason why I hoard all kinds of leftover bits from previous jobs and projects. First, I was looking for a set of lower shock mounts for the rear of the car. I very nearly bought a set from a few sources but after awhile I started looking around to see what I could make a set. These were a set of steering arms from an AMC Rambler..Cut down,reshaped and added some shock studs..Got a set of shocks coming that will work just fine. modellaa 005.JPG modellaa 007.JPG
    As most Model A -V8 conversions go,firewall room is limited and my car was no exception..Had to make an offset breather tube..Had a pair of chrome exhaust pipes from a 61 Corvette that have been kicking around my shop forever. The outside diameter was the perfect fit for the early fuel pump stand so I cut off a length and sectioned it in the bend area. I used the TIG welder to re-attach the pieces and was able to save the chrome..Pretty happy with the result. modellaa 003.JPG modellaa 004.JPG modellaa 010.JPG

15. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Went with a set of 39 teardrop lights..Kinda cliche' but I always liked the look of them..Also, they were leftovers from another project so I used them..Couldn't use the original curved inner trunk pan with the lights so I fabbed up a rear pan and lower panel brace. modellaa 002.JPG modellaa 001.JPG

16. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a really cool build. I like that you are taking tried and true ideas like the shock mounts and making them your own. Good luck with the build. I am tuned in.

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  17. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Got some woodworking done on the little roadster..Made some cardboard templates and cut some floorboards out of 1/2" plywood..Little polyurethane and stain to seal them up..Also,made some seat bottom and back from same plywood..Bought 5" high density foam off epay for 20 bucks and shaped some seat pads..Cut it with a common serrated knife and shaped with a hand grinder..Nice and comfy!..Looking for an old leather couch to cover them with..If not,Mexican blankets will suffice! modela1 002.JPG modela1 003.JPG

Working on my gas tank as it was pretty rusty inside.. threw a bunch of bolts in and left it in the back of my pickup for a week while driving around..Got most of the scale off ,looks decent now..Picked up some 2 part epoxy that seals rusty fuel tanks from Caswell. Should do the trick!

18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Ok nice, now please enlighten us about your gas pedal assembly. Savvy engineering there.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  19. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  20. Roadsir

Roadsir

Nice build you have going on. Flathead looks perfect in there.

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  21. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks Ray! its nothing really crafty like your build,but it will be a lot of fun!

Thank you!
    Nothing to show, Wyatt..it was something I've had at least 20 years and never used...Its a speedway item and it fit perfectly..I couldn't get a Ford throttle to work so this one is getting used FINALLY!

22. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Got some material to cover my home made seats..Let me just state right now,I'm no upholsterer! I picked up some cotton batting to soften the edges.. started the cutting and slicing.. seat 004.JPG seat 002.JPG seat 006.JPG

23. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  24. Bitchin'! You make it look easy!

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  25. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Some more updates..Got the motor fired up and actually moved under its own power!! The brakes unfortunately are a little spongy so I have to bleed them out some more and re-adjust. I modified the stock 29 dash cluster so I could mount some SW gauges..Added a "chin" to it so I could have the three essentials,Oil Pressure,Water Temp and Volts..Fuel gauge is a stocker. 009.JPG

I really want to run a full hood so I started looking at making the stock 29 hood fit..It took some cutting and trimming along the rear edge because the 32 grille is slightly higher than the 29 cowl.Its a little off but not bad so I'm going to run with it..As I was stripping the old paint off I came across some writing on it..The Bush'man...This car was an old hot rod so I can only wonder who the Bush man was..I'm thinking about putting the lettering back on as a tribute to the cars previous owner..
    Oh, and I punched some louvers in it for some hot rod flavor. Gonna work on the side panels tomorrow ..Got my number for TROG! and see if I can get them to fit. 001.JPG 004.JPG 008.JPG trogracer 001.JPG

1947knuck, brEad, Dannerr and 9 others like this.
  26. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

LOOKING REAL GOOD. Bob..................

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  27. don daddyo

don daddyo

I will follow this one for sure, as it will helping me for the build of my 29 Roadster,lot's of good stuff to help the build...looking kool

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  28. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Got to add some street equipment so I can bomb around Wildwood..Came up with another good use for those AMC steering arms..Headlight mounts!..A few 34 ford bucket washers and I've got little mounts for my BLC's..Also added an original Hollywood license plate light.. roadster 005.JPG roadster 008.JPG roadster 006.JPG roadster 010.JPG roadster 012.JPG

29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

George thanks a bucket of SAE bolts for doing this thread. I am enjoying watching you slap it together all the while seeming to elude to it being so simple that it's almost boring for you.
    Some us will never get the dull drums over seeing a textbook correct AV8 come together in style and taste.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Hey Wyatt,Thanks for the compliments,bud!..I want to be clear it is not simple or boring for me!Not in the least..In fact,while there are several "textbooks" on how to build an AV8,they are not as simple as they appear. Its a smaller package than a 32 or 34, so getting everything to fit in the tighter confines is quite a challenge.Its a huge learning experience which I truly dig.. If I seem blase'about the build I don't mean to be. Just trying to get this sucker ready and don't have much time to write down/photograph all the little things I'm working on. My excitement is tempered by the TROG deadline..I hate deadlines!
    For example: The brakes are working but are spongy as hell..Can't seem to get them 100%..Still working on them..Next:I slapped the H+C mag on the motor yesterday..It sputtered to life then quit..No Spark!! I sent this out and had it all redone last year,so now it has to go back!..Put the points ignition back on ,runs OK..But now the generator took a dump..Working on that..Sent rad out to get fixed for a leak in lower tank..Get it back,still leaking!! I want to try and get some paint on this before TROG but I can't see painting it if the darn thing won't run,stop,leak etc..So you see,lots going on just haven't been sharing my tales of woe with you all..