Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My latest "barn find"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by irondoctor, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Kevins89notch5.0

Kevins89notch5.0
    from Orlando

Well the guy could have tossed in the mustang fastback as well for free. :D

2. Kramer

Kramer

3. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

Ok I finally got a couple pix of the ol' mans new plymouth.
    Its a 46 coupe and runs like a sewing machine.

Attached Files:

4. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Great find, good luck !

5. a couple more things i thought of.... be very careful taking it apart because there are many parts that are woodie only and are not available in repo. the rubber around the rear 1/4 windows and the front vent windows are woodie only and you may want to try to reuse them if they are in good shape. i did. up until just now the vent rubber was not available new , Dennis Carpenter just started making it at $250 a pair. he says the 1/4's available soon

there is a special rubber T-strip that goes around the wood where it seals against the window openings , Dennis Carpenter has it

in fact, you should just get Dennis Carpenter's ``49-`51 catalog...many woodie parts in it. C & G Ford Parts also has a lot of woodie parts in their catalog

the sliding glass on the side uses a double U channel.....the only place that is available from is J C Whitney. all the woodie guys i have talked to bought it there. when it comes time to reinstall your side glass , i accidentally ordered twice what i needed..so i have enuff for another car

your body looks very solid..you're lucky because woodies can be rust buckets. no one is making replacement rockers. sedan will not fit , the shape is wrong. Tom Fritz was trying to make them , but was unable to duplicate them to meet his standards. he gave me one of his "prototypes" and i used it for patch panels on the rockers on the `49 i did

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  6. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Great find! The '50 Ford woodie I've been working on just got back from paint. There is nothing cheap about them, but they're just absolutely gorgeous. When you're fitting the wood to the body, be sure the backside fits flat against the body when you mount it. Otherwise it'll crack after being the sun for a while, and it's a pain in the ass to repair. This happened to a '51 that came in for repair.

7. I can help you with woodie info. This is Bernie(vintageauto) in Maryland. I'm working on a 50 woodie right now. Alot has been done, still a way's to go. I have the wood..all refinished, Fatman Frontend. 99% of the metal work is done (I can supply photos), its set up for a SB Chevy. This is and will be worth a bundle when finished.
    I may consider a trade for the woodie. I've always wanted a 1939-40 Ford Coupe...I would consider trading the woodie as it sits today for a running 39-40 Coupe..prefer a flathead drivetrain. This could be a great offer for those of you who have always wanted a shoebox woodie. I will probably only make this offer this one time?? will do a seperate post with details, but for those of you following this thread...you get first shot.