Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My hotrod got damaged yesterday

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sonofabob, Jul 5, 2022.

1. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

Hello all, hopefully someone can help. Yesterday my hotrod got damaged leaving a carshow yesterday. I'm trying to find the sheet metal to repair the damage. I'm also thinking about a color change since I'm going to have to take the body off the frame to fix it right. So looking for suggestions on period correct colors, and a line on good sheet metal. Thanks in advance. 20220705_162701.jpg 20220705_162705.jpg 20220705_162814.jpg 20220705_162732.jpg 20220705_162654.jpg 20220705_162711.jpg 20200508_132921.jpg

chryslerfan55 and Jalopy Joker like this.
  2. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

Man, thats a nice looking rod. I am sorry to hear it got damaged.

What period do you want to be correct to?
    Early '50s? Late '50s? '60s?
    I like non- metallic colors, maybe a burgundy with a white firewall for a general '50s look.

SS327, Sonofabob and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Bummer! details on how it happened?

4. Bummer.
    What parts are needed other than the light.
    Looks like that sheet metal will straighten

5. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I’m confused with the second last pic as it doesn’t look like metal to me...

Cosmo49, Texas57, xhotrodder and 9 others like this.
  6. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

Yes the whole car is metal. Original Henry Ford steel. A car slammed on the brakes ahead of me for a stop light. Car was strapped but the strap broke. It came off the front of the trailer and hit my pickup and trailer hitch. I was using my sprint car trailer and I back it on. Period correct to early 60s. Nothing on the car is newer than 1962 mechanically. 53 buick nailhead, Saginaw 4 speed, 8" Ford rearend. 32 dash and grill sitting on an original model 29 A frame. Fully boxed of course. Buggy suspension in the rear. The only thing modern is it's a 12 volt generator and I run an electric fan. It was built by Brent Nightingale back in 2006.

7. same here ??? looks like a fiberglass body.. or thats alot of body filler.. yikes... sorry you got hit.. pilot error or fellow motorist ?

8. jim snow

jim snow

Check with @IronTrap . He may have what you need in stock. Snowman ⛄️

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

I actually sent @IronTrap an email a few minutes ago on his contact us link.

Tim and jim snow like this.
  10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

When you straighten the body dress that metal up and remove that filler as it's way too thick. Screenshot 2022-07-06 at 10-25-44 20220705_162711.jpg (JPEG Image 1200 × 1600 pixels).png

11. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

SS327 likes this.
  12. That metal must be awful thin to rip like that.

Jibs and NoelC like this.
  13. unforgiven

unforgiven
    from East Tn

Dang that sucks. Such a nice looking car. Hope you get her fixed sooner than later.

Sonofabob likes this.
  14. Squablow

Squablow

I don't think anyone makes quarters for the 26-27 T turtle deck, I never could find a set when I was building my roadster. I would strip the paint and filler off and see if what is there could be straightened and welded back together, it doesn't look that badly damaged to me. Plus it needs to be stripped anyway, as others have said it already had a load of filler in that corner. Once it's bare metal on that corner I don't think the repair will be that daunting, I doubt it'll require buying panels.

SS327, chryslerfan55 and Sonofabob like this.
  15. NoelC

NoelC

I don't know what to say...? Except this life lesson could have saved your life? Looks to me like nice paint over rusted thin original metal. That was a trailer bump, what if it had been intersection speeds from behind...we'd be reading the headline.
    Bummer, but yea...my vote is now's the time to fix it better.

16. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

consider nerf bars out back or period correct fence pipe....looks like it could be repaired on the frame ??

Sonofabob likes this.
  17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sand the paint and filler off.

Grab a hammer and dolly set and get hitting.

You won't make it worse, and you might just fix it.

It's metal. Trust me, it's not smarter than you.

raven, NoSurf, aussie57wag and 8 others like this.
  18. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats a shame. I'd be tempted to fix it up by as easily and safely as possible as its evident that the body isn't in great shape under the skin. Considering a full repaint, presumably involving bare metaling, could quickly turn into a colossal job, based on whats been shown.

I use 4 tiedowns, with each wheel held preventing fore and aft movement. Probably only needs 2, so 4 gives a good safety factor. 4 straps might actually be the law here anyway, I'm not sure.

Chris

SS327, chryslerfan55 and Sonofabob like this.
  19. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

get it repaired at a shop where the body can be pulled back in shape (must be a resto place nearby?), doesnt look like a need to start cutting bits off.

Sonofabob likes this.
  20. dwollam

dwollam

Oregon law requires 4 individual tie downs and 1 strap over the axle to 2 tie down points doesn't count. Won't help now but maybe in the future after it's all nice again. BTW, cool car!

Dave

RICH B, Sonofabob, winduptoy and 2 others like this.
  21. junkman8888

junkman8888

If you're going to strip that bondo off yourself use a propane torch with a "fishtail" tip to spread out the heat, some work gloves and a long-handled scraper, a spray bottle filled with water is useful to extinguish the flaming debris. Best of luck and keep us posted.

alanp561, Sonofabob and SS327 like this.
  22. SS327

SS327

I think 4 straps or chain is the law of the land and what I use. I also set the parking brake. In almost 40 years I’ve never lost a car. And I agree something is going on under that paint. I also agree that if you fix one side you will end up doing the other. Also it may snowball into more. Clean the bondo off and lay eyes on the metal it may not be that bad but if it is sculpted it may be worse and take a little more work to straighten.

chryslerfan55 and Sonofabob like this.
  23. prpmmp

prpmmp

Sorry!! I'm going to be the Richard Cranium of this thread!! I suggest no straps or chains,not even a trailer!! Drive that HotRod!! Pete

24. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Cool car. But why was it on a trailer? What's wrong with it? You do understand if you were driving it it wouldn't be broken. Also when you put a car on a trailer the heavy end should be at the front. It's safer and tows better. With to much weight at the back you are lickly to get trailer sway.

guthriesmith, SS327 and Kiwi 4d like this.
  25. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Will be interesting to see how much more bog is in the rest of the car. Based on that one panel you may be in for an (un)pleasant surprise. Good luck with it all.

chryslerfan55 and NoSurf like this.
  26. indyjps

indyjps

@gimpyshotrods has it right. Get it to bare metal and see what's there.

I'm seeing a heavy sculpted filler coat, it may be shocking what's really under there. Hoping for the best - enough decent metal to repair.

Sonofabob and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. NoSurf

NoSurf

You should talk to @ksford in Manhattan. PM me for his #.

28. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Model T patch panels are scarce. We are having to make almost everything for mine, and what was available didn't fit and had to be reworked.

29. I see a "T" a driveway and a nearby tree. Put a chain or a cable come along at the good angle and block the wheels and pull it out, then a little weld/ mud / paint and done. Early ford store will have the new 39 Ford tail light.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
    Sonofabob and 427 sleeper like this.