Register now to get rid of these ads!

My homemade MetalFlake steering wheel.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straightaxle65, Apr 6, 2012.

1. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

I recently saw a post about Krylon Glitter Blast paint and thought I would try it out. I bought a black 500 wheel for 5 bucks at a swap meet. The chrome is kinda cheesy but its perfect for experimenting. I've been looking for a turquoise wheel for my turquoise 67 Plymouth wagon for a few years now and thats the hardest color to find let alone a good one.

I went to Hobby Lobby and as luck would have it the paint was %50 off that week. I got a can of "sparkling water" and a can of the recommended clear coat. I first painted the wheel with Krylon bright silver to bury the black. After a test spray I found the sparkling water didn't have enough turquoise in it to suit me so I then shot the wheel with a coat of early Chrysler turquoise engine paint that I had left over. After that I gave the wheel about 4 coats of glitter paint and then buried it in clear. I used the whole can of clear.

I'm not sure how well the rattle can clear will hold up but time will tell. Because of the dull chrome I will probably use this as a wall hanger but it turned out very nice and I will be finding another wheel to do for my wagon. The things I learned is take your time, use many light coats and probably use an automotive clear for durability but other than that this stuff looks great for small projects like a steering wheel or helmet, etc.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  2. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

damn thats pretty nice,clean work.

3. machine_builder2

machine_builder2

Straightaxle is right about them being scarce.

Back in the mid-60s we put one on my Grandma's Turquoise 61 Merc so she could see over the wheel.

Don't remember where we got it, might have been on a clearance table. Had NEVER seen one before or since. Might have been a CalCustom brand.

After she passed in the 90's, we sold the car (wish we had kept it, you know how it goes)

Several years later, I saw the car parked. Pretty damn sure it was her car. Likely not very many faded turqoise 61 Merc Meteor 4-Doors with a custom turqoise steering wheel.

Lotsa memories just came back........................................

4. I tend to think in daily- driver terms, so I dunno how this heavy flake/ lots of clear would hold up in my (semi desert) world. Let the metallic coats 'gas out' between coats for added durability on these 'flake jobs. Be patient. I've had jobs that looked great for 8 weeks, until the drying process moves into 'cracking' the clear coat. Too many coats too quickly laid on.
    Thanks for post, I gotta wheel to restore in near future. I'm thinkin' low- buck faux mother - of- pearl/ body colour combo.

5. Same problem here.

I need a silver/blue wheel for my Nova wagon.

The last time I saw an original one on Evil Bay, the damn thing sold for over $350.00 used!

Nice job, I'll have to look into this idea.

6. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

That will make a very Cool display piece!

7. william.ali.kay

william.ali.kay
    from Milwaukee

Came out real nice. I may have to give this a try.

8. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

I have an org. one from the 60s . All my buddies want it .
    kool job.
    B.B.

9. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Man that looks great!!

10. Okay, I'm not your buddy.

Can I have it! :rolleyes:

11. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

12. eppster

eppster

Gary showed me the steering wheel the other night and believe me the photos don't do it justice=== it looks really nice! I got another wheel for him I just got to find it !!!

13. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

huh.........NO

14. pinman 39

pinman 39

That is a great idea . I have been wanting a Gold one but not willing to shell
    out big bucks for one .I am doing a swap meet this weekend and i bet I'll
    find a Black cheapie so I can make my own . Thanks.

15. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Thanks a bunch Larry! I know I'm sounding biassed but I was blown away by the results. I'm sure that alot of time in the sun would turn it brown like the originals you find at swap meets but for a cruiser that is not outside all day while your at work it looks like it would be fine.

And as Eppster said..........Pictures don't do it justice. The flake is really alive !!

16. Squablow

Squablow

Is it a hard plastic grip, or is it vinyl or rubber? On a hard grip, I could see this holding up, but on a flexible grip, I think it'd go to shit after very few miles. Just curious, looks nice.

17. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Its a hard plastic grip. I cleaned it real good with thinner before I shot it.