Register now to get rid of these ads!

My homebuilt sees the light of day for the first time

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Alf, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

Oh chill the fuck out. Most toyotas, Nissans, and hondas for the last 10+ years are manufactured on american soil. Of all the cars parked at my work the only two that are made in america are my ranchero, and my co-workers Toyota truck.

2. My apologies.

I didn't realize you had TWO roadsters in progress.

Sam.

3. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

Thanks, couldn't have said it better myself. putting a 350/350 or a 302/AOD in that car is just as much of a traditional abomination as putting any Nissan engine would be.

Besides, put 3 1bbls on that nissan and it will fit right in.

4. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

The only reason the mods should close this thread would be your bitchin. Relax you have have made your point clear and no one gives a fuck. So please take your soapbox somewhere else.

5. It cracks me up that "you" would try to "school" anyone on anything. What a tool. The illustrious (note spelling) SamIam said it best....Shut the fuck up! As for the roadster, I dig the fact that you can actually sit in it, and the stance is killer. Don't let the retard get you down.

6. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Where did you come from???? how many posts and now your a god dam genius? You guys crack me up.. leave the kid alone.
    Dave:mad:

7. looks good alf! keep at it!

8. Enginetuner

Enginetuner

Keep up the good work, kid. Motor doesn't matter, do it the way you want to. Keep us posted on the progress.

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I've seen more beautiful traditional high quality hot rods come out of Japan than any other country within the last few years.
    Cuntthroat.... I have been holding back... But you are a true dickhead. I'm surprise you've lasted a year here so far.
    Positive note....
    Cool looking first time hot rod..home built too. You have surpassed my accomplishments when I was your age by light years. PJ

10. This guy is only 20 and already building a really cool ride. He is doing it just like in the '50's,'60s,'70s, using what he has on hand or can afford.

His profile says he has a '69 Camaro too. According to some on here, instead of using the Nissan motor that was laying around, he should have yanked that SBC out of his driver. How lame can you get?

I like what ALF has done. Not just the car, but that fact that you really riled up some of the people on here. If they stopped and thought about it, they wouldn't even be on the HAMB, because they didn't use it back in the day.

ALF, post some more pics and info on the chassis as you get the time between college, buiding your rod, and fending off the assassination attempts on your character.

Tony

11. Looks like a fun build. Don't let the so called experts scare ya off. Hot rodding is building what ya want and can with what ya got and can afford. That is essentially how mine was built up. Extra stuff that was acquired, laying around and a vision. Enjoy your build and there's nothing more fun than a roadster when you're all done. :cool:

12. repoguy

repoguy

"That shit don't fly here, blah, blah, blah".

Oh goody. Another new guy who thinks he's the authority on hot rods and needs to SCHOOL us.

Somebody wake me up when this guy finally shuts his cakehole. *yawn*

13. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Check his web site. If thats him in the pic holding the machine gun he looks like he makes friend easy. specially needing protection like that ? I have guns too but they are used for hunting game not people
    and i dont show em off..
    Dave

14. DROPnDRIVE

DROPnDRIVE
    from New Jersey

...aahhh DVR's..just like they had back in the day...

Alf, that things lookin good man! you should not only post more pics (especially of the frame/suspension) but list some details/specs of it too! definately different, definately cool! one thing tho...drive the SHIT outta it!

15. I think this kid is doing a good job. As far as engine choice, I have to agree with KTK, there are beater US V8 cars everywhere, maybe he will find a good motor later.

16. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Looks like you're having fun building a car from scratch. That's what this is really about, right? Having FUN! You can always put a different engine in later. Get it on the road and roast those snow tires off. Ignore assholes with an agenda, myself often included. Keep smiling. Nothing pisses off the NutThroats of the world like someone else having a good time.

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I cleaned this thread up a bit... Technically, this thread is a bit off topic... However, I like the fact that a young guy is working hard to build something so I thought the post should stay around.

Please don't add drama here... it will only be deleted.

18. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

Regardless of vintage, I like the look of an OHC motor in any car.

is it EFI ?

19. I think snowtires on back would be cool. Fun in the mud!

20. spooler41

spooler41

hay guys, this is a great build. that roadster just looks right. I've been doing this game for more than 50 years and can remember when a SBC was not tradidtional. 265 chev. was the newest,hitech,hottest motor around. Isaw my first one in a 34 ford roadster in mid 55. thanks for letting me vent, JACK.

21. KutThrtKustms

KutThrtKustms
    BANNED
    from SO.CAL.

Thanks for proving my point!!

22. Alf

Alf

I appreciate all the kind words and kudos, I'm glad most of you like it, and for those that don't that's fine too, we're all entitled to our own opinions.

As for the the engine, as stated, I used whatever I could get my hands on at the time. Same goes for the rear axle, which by coincidence, is also a Nissan unit that I recieved for free. I also got alot more than just an engine and transmission for my money, I got all kinds of parts that I could use.

I like to think, even though my parts aren't traditional, that the car is being built in a traditional fashion, scrounging, begging, finding whatever you can, and building what you can't.

Specs:
    Engine and transmission- 181ci V6, SOCH aluminum semi-hemi heads, port fuel injection, 160hp and 174lb/ft. Five speed manual, aluminum case, .75 overdrive

Chassis- home made from 1.5" by 3" rectangular tubing, 15" Z in the rear at 80 degrees, nose bleed front end at about 10 degrees.

Rear suspension- paralell leaf design, for and aft shocks, Nissan Pathfinder axle-removable carrier type, 4.63.1 gears, limited slip and bearing retained axles.

Front suspension- Model A axle stock except for split wish bone.

Body- started as a 35,6, or 7 Ford pick up cab I found in an old farm dump. The body was pretty much trashed but I figured there was enough left to make a roadster out of it. Cowl is homemade along with the floor and the entire body frame.

Steering- 61 Mercury Comet column and gearbox turned on it's side, pitman arm pointed straight up.

More pictures coming soon, site is down at the moment.

23. I don't think anybody here doesn't like the car itself, it is coming along great.

All your stuff is pretty traditional, except the drivetrain, which can be easily changed later if you choose to do so. Congrats on the fab work, how about some build photos? How are you building the skin to cover the cowl frame/structure?

24. Alf

Alf

[​IMG]

There's what i started with

[​IMG]

Early mockup, with first rendition of body

[​IMG]

Early frame construction, it's changed a bit since then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. looks cool. I really like the floor framework. Are you sinking the floor inbetween the frame rails, or up the sides of the body, the perspective makes it hard to tell.

26. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

Memo to the TRADITIONAL ninnies:

Get a life! If there's more than a dozen HAMB cars that don't incorporate one or more late model / repro / post-`60 parts, I'll eat my hat. One of the most "traditional" approaches to hot rod building involves taking advantage of what's at hand. Give the kid a break...if you're that inflexible, maybe you'd be more comfortable in NSRA.

27. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

Memo to the TRADITIONAL ninnies:

Get a life! If there's more than a dozen HAMB cars that don't incorporate at least one or more late model / repro / post-`60 parts, I'll eat my hat. One of the most "traditional" approaches to hot rod building involves taking advantage of what's at hand. A car can be traditionally styled or traditionally inspired without having to pass muster at Pebble Beach. Give the kid a break...if you're that inflexible, maybe you'd be more comfortable in NSRA -- or MAFCA. They actually value your brand of mindless conformity.

28. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Hey Alfie.....looks good man! Use what ya can, and what's cheap.......
    The V-6 outta scoot just fine.....handle well too!
    As for the rear axle....I'm running a Toyota....similar to the Nissan.....STRONG, narrow rearends......I'll let the Trad guys hunt down the 9" Fords....they can have 'em.......

Keep the progress pics coming!

29. tjm73

tjm73

I'll never look at a truck cab quite the same again. KUDOS!!!!

I like your roadster.

Sergeant82d likes this.
  30. fat49chevy

fat49chevy
    from Onta Ca

I wonder what Sam Barris, Gene Winfield, Watson, and all the other pioneers of hot rodding would say about Japanese engines in old American cars? Its like mixing apples and oranges to me. Call me old fashioned, but if that becomes the new trend in hot rods then Im definetly getting out of this scene. I think its great that the young man built that car, and it it YOUR car, but as far as being traditional or even acceptable to true hotrodding, no way. Please put an American engine in that thing once you have the money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.