Register now to get rid of these ads!

My HAMB Intro 53 Studebaker Gasser Build

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Fiddle Picker, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

I am in the process of building a 53 Studebaker Coupe to run with Southeast Gassers. Not sure how to post, so if it doesn't work I'll try again. If it does, then, Hello y'all. Here's a few pics and having a little trouble with this, promise I will get better sorry bout the duplicates . Gasser side 3.JPG Gasser side 1.JPG Gasser side 1.JPG pics. Gasser side 1.JPG Gasser side 1.JPG Gasser side 1.JPG Gasser side 3.JPG

2. Welcome to the HAMB. I Love your Studebaker. It looks to be a cool and fun Gasser. Thanks for the photos. Better to have too many then none. Please keep us posted on your build. My PC has a mind of it's own too. Ron...

wraymen likes this.
  3. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Thanks, Ron. Slowing down a little for Christmas. When I figure this out I will post some pics of starting this project and up to now. It was ROUGH !! I'm probably the only knucklehead that would have saved this one ! Got a few Studebakers and I have always loved the 53 and 54 Coupes and had this one and decided to do a Gasser the very day after I went to Myrtle Beach and saw them in action ! My plans are C Gas but might start off in D Gas. Depends on final weight and what power plant I settle on for starters. Thanks again, Johnny R.

loudbang and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  4. elgringo71

elgringo71

Welcome to the Hamb Johnny. I always liked that model of Studebaker and it's looking like a mean gasser already with that nose high stance. I can't wait to see it run. That's one more thing that I love about the Southeast Gassers. The variety of different manufacturers and period correct cars with 4 speeds pulling the wheels out of the hole.

loudbang likes this.

5. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Thank you Elgringo71. If I was a rich man, I would have this thing ready for the first race, just heard my budget rattling in my front pocket ! Been Bracket racing for years, losing interest. Started Hard Tire Headsup racing couple years ago with a, get this, 53 Chevrolet 150 Handyman Wagon (4 final rounds this year). Tricky but better than Bracketeering. Really looking forward to getting the Stude ready to run with the Gassers. Quain is very helpful and sharing with info and that really helps. Maybe mid summer !! Cool Corvette, Love the C1.

loudbang likes this.
  6. elgringo71

elgringo71

As long as you keep making progress you will get it on the track. I will say hello when I see you at the races. Quain is good people and very knowledgeable and helpful. That 53 wagon sounds cool and I bet that people didn't like getting beat by it. Hats off to everyone in the Southeast Gassers everyone races to win and don't cut any slack on the track but will help you with good advice and I have seen them help each other with parts when they break. You will love it

loudbang likes this.
  7. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Can't wait. right about getting beat by Big Buford, ticked a few, puzzled a few. gonna try to slip a trailer pic of the 53 Wagon. Was supposed to run the wagon at Silver Dollar on the weekend of the finals at
    Greer. Went to watch the Gassers instead ! Btw, I do like painted cars, just haven't had the time. Big Buford.JPG

loudbang and elgringo71 like this.
  8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Johnny that car has come a long way since I saw it back in mid October! I see you got your rectangular tube frame under it. How far back did you have to go with it? You were still talking about how far back to go with it last time we talked.
    HAMBers, I've known Johnny since he was just a kid and he's always had hot rods on the brain, same disease as we all have.
    And BTW he and his brothers are first class musicians too, in fact he comes from a family of musicians.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Dave, I went to about 12 inches in front of the forward mount for the rear springs. built the frame up on the fab table, used a bunch of scissor jacks and got it in square and plumb right where it was sitting when you saw it. Hey Guys, as a teenager I have been to Dave's shop where he built dirt trackers and drooled, they were badass. Also visited his current work shop where he was doing some very tedious repairs on exotic metals. AS always, doing great work. You go DOM.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Being a newby to the HAMB, didn't use this post to introduce myself, oops. Anyway, I'm Johnny Royals from Griffin, Ga. Retired IT Manager (probably why I have trouble posting). Done some part timing after that at a restoration shop on the north side of town. Probably why all mine need paint. Did some travelling as a musician and a lot of Bracket racing. Started life in the Marine Corps in 72. Semper-Fi, mos was ATC Communications. Work nights now as a music instructor and band member with my brothers and son, Cody. Been eat up with hotrods my whole life. My Dad ran a Flattie powered 34 Ford 3 window coupe then a 56 Fuel injected Belair Hardtop in the sixties. Miss him bad. Got the racing and music bug from him. So, gonna share some of whats going on now with you all. Starting new thread on the HAMB discussion board (53 Studebaker Coupe Southeast Gasser Build) with beginning pics .

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Gotgas, loudbang and elgringo71 like this.
  11. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

New Thread: 53 Studebaker Coupe Southeast Gasser Build. More pics. Thanks.

12. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Ten4 on the radius. I think you should be able to see the entire slick and they should stick outside a little !

13. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

(Belated) welcome to the HAMB! So do you play fiddle? Bluegrass? There are a surprising number of HAMBers who play music, fiddle, mandolin, guitar, etc. Must be something in the DNA that people like cars and music!
    Looking forward to seeing more of your Studebaker!

14. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Hello arkiehotrods, yup, play the fiddle but do more country and southern rock than bluegrass. It's a DNA thing for sure, cars and guitars. Slow go on the build right now. Working outside and the weather is sloppy now. Check out some more of this build new thread "53 Studebaker Coupe Southeast Gasser Build".