Register now to get rid of these ads!

History My grandpa, 40's hot rodder Powell Dickerson

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by TWKundrat, Sep 1, 2017.

1. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Tim, I found a photo of your grandfather and his 1932 roadster in Don Montgomery's book "Authentic Hot Rods". The photo is on page 118. According to the caption below the photo Powell Dickerson's roadster was the "Stud Special", had Edelbrock manifold, Denver heads and was timed May 25 1947 at 118.26 mph.

A rather interesting thing is that the photo was taken by Tom Sparks. I think you should plan another trip to see your uncle George again, and find out any information you can about Tom Sparks. If Tom Sparks is no longer with us, then are there sons, daughters or any family that pictures may have ended up with. These are the things that never get thrown out. Tom Sparks knew your Uncle George and obviously by the photo in Don Montgomery's book he knew your grandfather as well.

Thanks for posting all your pictures and dialog. I really enjoy seeing all the dry lakes cars and reading all the stories that go with them.

2. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

No way! Now that's cool. I've been too cheap so far to buy any of Montgomery's books for what they go for these days, (that reminds me I need to return one to a friend that I borrowed a while back), but I'll have no problem coughing up the 90 clams for "Authentic Hot Rods" if my grandpa's roadster is in it!

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  3. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

Just got my copy of Don Montgomery's "Authentic Hot Rods" and sure enough that's Gramps playing around under the hood of his roadster!

IMG_20200107_215029763.jpg
    Thanks again for bringing that to my attention @quickchangeV8

Jimmy B, alchemy, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  4. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

Unfortunately Tom Sparks died several years ago. He sure would have been an interesting guy to meet. Not only was he a hot rodder but he also did a lot of high end restorations and cars for the movies.

Not a bad idea to try to track down some relatives of his who may have more photos.

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. What a cool family history. I hope you are able to track down all the available history.

6. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

Just figured I'd note that my great uncle George that I mentioned in earlier posts died a couple weeks ago. I'm glad I had the chance to get to know him even if it was later in life. I believe that he was 92 and he lived a good life. I only hope that the rest of us can have that good of a run.

kidcampbell71, Stogy and murf 32 like this.
  7. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

Bumped into this just now, and all I can say 120 MPH on what I assume was a street-driven vehicle was going some in 1947!

Stogy likes this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to you and the Family in your loss of your Hotrodder Uncle George...