Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My glass 34 tudor build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BIG-JIM, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

It looks good, just so you can compare. The top edge of windshield reveal to edge of channel: 8 1/2 " , top edge of rear window reveal to channel: 13 1/8" . Both at center. Just center the width measurements I gave earlier and you'll have the sides. Just so you know, all 4 sides have a bow outwards also, and sides bow and taper wider towards the back. It does look close where it is. John

2. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Thanks Man! At the front I am at 7" and from the back I am at 16". I haven't drilled anything yet so I can move it back 1.5" from the front and add 1-7/8" to either side and I would be good. Not bad if you factor in I did it looking at pictures on the internet and winging it. Thanks for the help.

3. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I suppose I would also have to factor in the fact that mine is chopped making the roof longer.

4. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

That is close! I don't think anyone would ever notice ( I would not bother ) the little bit from the chop. Probably only notice the difference from the windshield if not slid back. John

5. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

These kits are also usually installed over (to the outside) of the existing hole. So they are always bigger. I'm thing just leave it and start drilling. Thanks again for the help.

Johnboy34 likes this.
  6. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Ha! I just drilled the first hole (rear center) and the nail end of the rivet barely pokes through to the inside. So it's over an inch thick!!!! That could be why the body weighs so much.!?(Roll eyes) On the sides I used a visegrip C-clamp to measure the thickness at each door opening and it's almost 3/4". So it's looking more like self tapping screws or some tiny button head screws and locknuts to hold this thing to the roof. I have the button heads and they are stainless. So much for worrying about the structural integrity of the roof being compromised. Also worrying less about the lack of an inner structure, though I may still add some steel to the inside. Could probably roll this car and not damage the roof at all.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  7. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

We covered the car in plastic sheets and glued on the foam, cut it to size, and removed all the tape and plastic. Then I laid out the vinyl and let it warm up and unwrinkle. Threw my daughter inside and had her poke the holes through while the wife and I put the trim on with the cleco's to hold them in place till the screws come in. I'm very happy with the way it turned out (so far).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

daddio211 likes this.
  8. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

Looks good BIG-JIM, I really like what's going on with the top. I too need to make a plan for the roof on my sedan. In this post you mention 'kit' is that Juliano's? Please advise

9. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Yes it is the Juliano's kit. The only complaint I have with the kit is the directions were rolled up in the vinyl so I didn't find them till I was almost done. The directions are on line anyway but there was a modification to the directions on this little card that would have been helpful to most people. It says "IMPORTANT Drill holes in the track AFTER it's bent to shape." If you drill the holes first, the track will kink at the holes. I used cleco pins to hold everything in place as I drilled.

Johnboy34 likes this.
  10. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

We screwed the vinyl top on today. With the help of the family we filled all 137 holes with screws, washers and lock nuts. After we were all done the wife followed behind us with a razor blade and cut the scrap off. I'm happy with the way it turned out. I also installed the radiator support rods temporarily till we try on the hood.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. daddio211

daddio211

Really coming together nice, Jim! I've been following since page 1 and enjoy how your family is involved!

BIG-JIM likes this.
  12. Sure looks good. Did I miss the reason why it isn't completely painted and you're putting it together?

13. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Thanks FAW. Basically we just jammed it to get the body back on the chassis. Did all the hard to reach areas. It was a time thing. I didn't have enough time to fit the hood and I knew I was going to install this soft top all having the potential to ruin a new paint job. Plus I ran out of money for paint. Kinda ass backwards but we'll get there.

14. You'll get there. Looks good.

BIG-JIM likes this.
  15. KustomCandy

KustomCandy
    from Australia

Nice family build going on here Mate. You make it look easy haha.
    Following with interest.

Dan

16. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

We haven't heard from you in awhile BigJim. My top kit came today and made me think of yours. Any progress updates?

17. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

It's been a while since I did anything on my 34. Just haven't felt up to since Mom passed. Well this past weekend I kicked myself in the ass and got at it again and it felt good to get something done. It's a small step but it is a step. With the help of my better half I installed the dash bracing and column drop. I still have to purdy it up a bit but it is solid as a rock and well on it's way. Next up installing the electrical panel and heater mounts. The column should just bolt in...(should) The wife is a big help on a lot of things like holding one side of the dash up while I fiddle with the other side and handing me tools while I'm under the car and a host of other things. I'd be lost without her sometimes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And speaking of the wife; a couple months back we sold her 33 Chevy 3 window and the money from it almost entirely paid for a glass 32 ford 3 window in running condition.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It needed an interior upgrade real bad but it's a nice little car. I figured I knocked off 3 years of build time and went straight to have fun with it time all in one shot. She had never driven a hot rod so when it arrived she was a little apprehensive but all that changed once she hit the go pedal. It took days to get the grin off her face. I also hated the Boyd wheels and raised white letters so I changed them out for some Halibrand replica's with Big's-N-Little's.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's not real HAMB friendly with a 700R4 and LED tail lights but she loves the hell out of it! Here are some after pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Out with the old interior and in with the new.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next up I have to hide the chrome horns and put bigger headlights on it. You asked for an update...Not much on the 34 but I have been busy. I'll be back on the 34 this weekend and I'll try to update more as I go.

bigheadbaxter likes this.
  18. Looks like a nice car! Interior came out great. Keep going on the '34!

19. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Thanks Chucky. Trying to keep my eye on the prize!

20. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I polished up my new tag topper today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

FTF? Had some of my own? But wrong I'm sure

22. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

F--K THE FENDERS! or FORGET THE FENDERS!